Oulton 8th October (mid engined sportscar)

I am going to Liverpool tonight so will see if I can leave the wife shopping somewhere and try and get to Oulton.
Steve

See you all tomorrow !!!

Yeah, see you all tomorrow. I’m quite looking forward to the day actually!!!

Sean…

I am planning to be there also…

anyone going up from the Northants area want a convoy good-buddy ?

I will be there bright and early. I had planned to stay somewhere a bit closer tonight but it did not quite pan out that way so I will be leaving London at some ridiculous hour instead I guess M40, M42 or M6 or something,…have not really worked it out yet Don’t know if that helps David - I will prolly be in the Lupo anyway, don’t know if I fancy 500 Exige miles

so what happened at Oulton then?? How did Russ get on??

so what happened at Oulton then?? How did Russ get on??

Was another great (albeit very wet) day. I am sure a VVR team member will be along in a minute to give a more detailed breakdown than me.

I was out of earshot from the tannoy but if I recall Russ qualified 11th and made up good ground to come in 5th or 6th. Kershaw in a very tidy looking Cadena liveried M’Sport Elise monstered everyone and was a clear second quicker than the rest of the field in qualifying,…oh and of course won. Russ was tangled up with a group of about 4 cars for the first half of the race but once clear of them was noticeably gaining on the next pack. If only the races were not so bleedin’ short it looked like he would have been further up the field.

The endurance race turned into a bit of a farce because after a stoppage/restart there was another off that meant the red flags came out again and there was no time for another restart. Even so Graham put in an unbelievable start in the initial race going from 7th on the grid (I think) to 2nd by the first corner He was hot on the heels of the leading Caterham who was doing everything to keep him behind (blocking, brake testing etc) - growing impatient Graham performed a great overtaking move (that involved using some non-tarmac’ed parts of the circuit ) and took first place…before the red flags came out Was great to be out on the circuit and see the little orange car come round in the lead was also great to hear Graham providing commentary for the in-car video after the race had finished…speaking about the antics of the Caterham driver…“He’s lucky I was in Russ’ car because if I’d been in my car I would have stung him right oop his arse”…lol.

Great hospitality put on by Tracksport, nice to see everyone, roll on next season when another one of our kinsman will be out there!! Well done Russ, VVR has made several entertaining weekends this year.

SOrry I did not come for a Ruby guys, 500mile round trip was enough without adding another couple of hours,…was worth it though. Gallery will follow of course…

Sounds like Graham had a blinding run

I figured Gav would walk the mid-engined, thats Paul’s new car which has been built from all the remaining parts from the Brit GT car so I expected it to be fairly rapid. Should have taken Christians car along to give Gav a run for his money

Looking forward to the pics.

Cheers Ben. Nice to hear!

Ian

great day of racing and nice to put a few names to faces

I had a great day!!!

Firstly a huge Thanks to Russ and the team for the bacon butties, they were very much appreciated.

SPent the day between Russ’s F1 style padock suite and the Plans camp in the pit garages. Thourghly enjoyed my self, met loads of great people and I am now more keyed up than ever about entering next year.

I thought Russ did very well in the first race. The little pack he was in was by far the best battle going on and it was great to see Russ come out on top and then pull away.

I thought Azreal (spelling) had a great race as well, apart from the last lap. Also thought the prep of your car was excellent, especailly the engine bay

As already stated, the 1st start of the endurance race was amazing. Graham, in Russ’s car went from 7th to 2nd by the 1st corner and by the end of lap two was out in front, only for the red flags to stop the race. Unfortunatly he didn’t pull off the same start in the 2nd race as I guess they were all wise to what he was gonna try and the race ended on that first lap.

The incar footage was awesome afterwards, can’t we get someone to host it and put it up on here???

Was great to see everyone again from Croft and to meet loads of new people.

I took loads of pictures of the insides and undersides and cockpits of all the main exiges, so I will be stealing the best ideas and trying to incorporate them into mine.

Roll on next year. To be honest I’m kinda sh**ing myself already!!!

As usual, was a cracking day - cars, racing & loads of great peeps

Here is Sooty’s video of the incident which brought an end to the Endurance Race. This is at the first corner, Old Hall, on the first lap of the re-start. Graeme is in 4th place & just about to take 3rd spot as he goes out of shot.

Clicky Here

What a completely avoidable incident. Surely the guy in the TR7 had seen the exige re-joining?!

to be fair the sun had just come out and the track was wet so there was probably a lot of glare, but agree totally avoidable incident, error on both parts the tr6/7 could have moved over to the left allowing the exige back on track and the exige should not have joined the track when there was so many cars.

I was standing in the same place and got a cracking photo of the incident, the moment after impact when there was still debris in the air

Not a nice incident so don’t take the wrong way

Looking at the video, it looks like the TR6 is going to go past, but only just, Exige seems to turn left though just at the wrong time?

To me it looks like the red Exige should have waited til the cars had passed before re-joining the track.

I don’t see how the Triumph could do much about an Exige swerving into it’s path.

Agreed

It was great to meet a few new people at the weekend. Sean B easily being one of the most memorable.

Circulating behind/next to/in front of Russ was the highlight of the day for me as he’s easily one of the fairest and finest people you could hope to race with. - Russ you have no idea how happy I am that you caught my brain fade at Lodge on the rear facing on board camera. Not. At least I’ll only have to beat myself up about that one until next April!!!

A massive thanks to VVR and Tracksport for sharing the facilities without which a wet days racing could have been pretty miserable.

Well the red Elise is me.

quote ‘the red Exige should have waited til the cars had passed before re-joining the track’

ha! The fact of the matter was I was doing 80mph on wet grass and was desperately trying to regain control of the vehicle and avoid hitting the barrier! I was hardly in a position to come to a controlled stop and perform a ‘mirror signal manouever!!’

The video misses the start of the incident which was caused by that mad italian in the white elise pushing me off onto the grass at the outside of Old hall. From then on I was basically a passenger!!

Hi Steve

Looked expensive. Did you get away with cosmetic damage?

BTW, was that you heading towards Oldham on the M60 Saturday night at eightish?

Mark