Oh fcuk, my Exige is on fire!!!!!!!!?????

Further to my thread ‘Car wont start.’, whilst turning the engine over smoke started pouring out of the front of the car!

PANIC SET IN!

Ive traced it to a connector which houses four wires that sits just in front of the brake fluid resevoir, it looks like the earth has burnt itself out, I cant find out where these wires end up or what they are for…could it be the cooling system?

Sounds like you have had an over-current situation sir…

Come in from the cold, have a beer (like the rest of us!) and worry about it tomorrow. I’d disconnect your battery first though…

I’ve had the same thing happen to me but in the engine whilst I was changing my oil filter, the braided hose from the oil cooler touched the alternator and it started burning

hope theres no damage

Can you tell us what coulour all of the wires in the plug are. I should be able to tell you what they are. With my exploits over the last few weeks I have wiring colours on the brain.

Good advice…im cold, thirsry and miserable BUT im sure somewhere theres someone worse off than me!

as Alex says its tomorrow’s prob - prob be a chaffed wire - but did it start?

now you’re just showing off sean

No mate, I just think I am really sad!!

Sean, here goes:

They go in:

1 Black
2 Lime green
3 Darker green
4 Green and blue

And come out:

1 Black
2 Blue
3 Green and yellow
4 Green and blue

Was that black before or after they were vapourised?

Sorry… I’m not helping. Over to you Sean…

Well once i located the smoke and the guilty wire I pulled off the melted rubber sheath, wrapped electricians tape around it and it started first time, I then held the said wire to see if it got hot but all seems ok, but im still a bit worried in case it happens again!

Well once i located the smoke and the guilty wire I pulled off the melted rubber sheath, wrapped electricians tape around it and it started first time, I then held the said wire to see if it got hot but all seems ok, but im still a bit worried in case it happens again!

When i saw the headline i nearly reached for the bottle, now i will just to celebrate it’s all ok. Phew

Tim.

OK, I am getting there.

I can match the green/blue - green/yellow - black

And you said the wires disapear down under the brake fluid reserviour??

If so I am pretty sure it is the wires from your fan switch in the dash to the resistor (this is a gold thing located down beneath the fluid reserviour) that then varies the speed of your heater fan.

Go out, turn the ignition on and see if your heater fan works. If you have disconescted the earth (as you say), and i have my brain in gear (very unlikly) then I guess your fan wont work.

No mate, I just think I am really sad!!

Nope, you’re really, very, very sad

But you’re in very good company with us lot

When i saw the headline i nearly reached for the bottle, now i will just to celebrate it’s all ok. Phew

Tim.

Thanks Tim…good job we havent got a weak heart, i was ready to call the fire brigade!

Yes all is well now but I always like to get to the bottom of things…why did the wire burn out, will it be ok now and what does this bunch of 4 wires supply…Sean B is on the case for me I think!

Thanks for your concern though…just having a beer to calm down!!!

OK, I am getting there.

I can match the green/blue - green/yellow - black

And you said the wires disapear down under the brake fluid reserviour??

If so I am pretty sure it is the wires from your fan switch in the dash to the resistor (this is a gold thing located down beneath the fluid reserviour) that then varies the speed of your heater fan.

Go out, turn the ignition on and see if your heater fan works. If you have disconescted the earth (as you say), and i have my brain in gear (very unlikly) then I guess your fan wont work.

Sean, its the connector block that sits right next to the ront of the brake fluid resevoir, I removed the gash melted rubber sheath and replaced it with electricians tape and all now seems fine but i really do want to get to the bottom of this problem.

I cant even find this in the service manual!

If what i have put above doesn’t hit the nail on the head. We have similiar colours for the radiator cooling fans. Does your car have air con. Are the 4 wires in question quite chunky???

So is your interior heater fan still working???

If what i have put above doesn’t hit the nail on the head. We have similiar colours for the radiator cooling fans. Does your car have air con. Are the 4 wires in question quite chunky???

are you pissed?

Any chance you can take an post up a picture?