Number Plates

Any good ideas on how to fix front number plate on - ali bracket that used to do the job has got tired.
Is it a job for velcro?

My bracket wore out on the local speed humps, but a replacement Lotus part was only about twelve quid, so that’s what I did…

Thanks Mike - sounds like the fix then.

Next problem…which discs to buy … need 4, old ones are knackered!

Mutsnuts, 295mm front and no-rust rears

Mutsnuts, > 295mm front and no-rust rears

too much sherry for you…

Only problem here is I half remember Dave Brown having a set of the Ali/CI discs and they warped???
Though I do like the idea and these are slightly cheaper.

Only problem here is I half remember Dave Brown having a set of the Ali/CI discs and they warped???

Nah, twas a wheel bearing - the Edwards Boyz diagnosed it as such at the track, despite an engineer from Lotus saying it was a warped disc.

Hiya Rob
So it’s Muts Nuts (sounds like somethimg my dog used to have!) discs.
Whats the latest on pads - 14’s on the front and 15’s on the back - or those green things instead.
Tony

Muts Nuts discs arrived today with set of green stuff pads - first reaction is they look the biz!!!

did you go for the standard size up front? or the 190’s
And did you get the no rust rears as well?

Uldis (curious faction)

Uldis me old chap…
I’ve not been on this site regularly for a while but the likes of Pesky will confirm that although I’m an engineer I’m not technically minded when it comes to cars (but I know what I like!)
Fink I got standards at front and got similar overall dia at rear (although the hub is bigger) ask Stu what I got he should know!.
And some green cork things with metal back plates which I think fit in the cup holders

What was that about cup holders?

I just realized I wrote 190
I meant 295’s

So did you try them in anger?

Uldis
Bought a trolley jack today…
Could’nt get caliper piston pusher in tool(?)
Do pistons screw in or push in?

Cup Holders are alongside the variable diameter spare wheel, M’lud.

They screw in - use some pliers with long thin pincers - or do what I did, buy a special tool for the job from Eliseparts! They sell for about �10, but you do wonder about their cost to make!!!

No doubt Uldis, Andy or Steve (ie proper engineering gurus) will offer their preferred methods for screwing the caliper pistons back in

Rears screw in but fronts just push in - remember to keep an eye on the brake master cylinder reservoir because as you screw/push in the calipers the fluid returns to the reservoir and if it was quite full it can overflow. Remove it with a syringe or turkey baster (cue lesbian jokes!)

Thanks chaps.
What happened to the picture caption competitions - they were always fun?

As the other said, the rear ones screw in and the front ones push in.

Well, not exactly. The rear ones just need to be turned while pushing. For this, some long nose pliers will do (straight better) while you push in. That or Geary’s tool, which is a steel bar so you can turn the piston while pushing.
It is quite hard sometimes, don’t despair, that’s the most difficult part.
You don’t need to take off the rear caliper itself while installing the disks, when you take off the pads, the disk can slant and come off and the new go in. Then you fit the pads with the disk in place.

On the front side, you need to take off the caliper to change the disk. This is easily done by taking off the two allen screws on the top.
Before you put in the new disks, take off the pads and leverage with a screwdriver tohe pistons back in their place. That way you won’t damage the surface of the new disks.

Or you could use one of these tools (they’re great, and about �19)

Then take off the caliper and change the disks.
Put everything back on place on reverse order.
Take care of putting the anti-rattle spring/clip in the same sense, otherwise pads will rattle.
Coppaslip in the back of the pads will prevent squealing somehow.
And don’t put back any buffer pad, unless you like mushy pedals (I like immediate solid feel).

Good luck, and have fun!

For this, some long nose pliers will do (straight better)

Doh - that’s what I was trying to say, but couldn’t think of the correct term! Told you I was a mechanical numpty

What happened to the picture caption competitions - they were always fun?

I stopped providing Pesky with ammunition!