Nitrons

Right I have finally made a choice, I am going to go for the single way Nitrons on my “S”
Now the next set of choices:-
Spring rates? I was thinking 425F 500R?
Ride height? 110F 120R?
Do I need a new stiffer anti roll bar? I think I do

Any advice greatly appreciated, I do about 5k miles a year and 4 or 5 track days and I don’t really car if the suspension is hard for road use.

Thanks

Right I have finally made a choice, I am going to go for the single way Nitrons on my “S”
Ride height? 110F 120R?

Any advice greatly appreciated, I do about 5k miles a year and 4 or 5 track days and I don’t really car if the suspension is hard for road use.

Thanks

TBH can’t understand why you want to change the things you mention - unless they’re broken.

You’d be better off spending your money firstly on getting the car properly geo’d (are Plans Motorsport accessible for you?), & secondly on driver instruction on the relatively few trackdays you intend to do.

PS How many trackdays (& where) have you done in the your Exige so far?

PPS Unless you’ve passengered with any of the factory drivers, you’ll have no real idea of what a standard Exige is capable of on track.

I have to diagree with pesky, the Exige S is grossly undersprung on the track IMO. I have improved it a lot with more negative camber but its way too soft, especially at the rear, which means it tends to tip over and tie itself in knots coming out of tight corners.

However, i would suggest you choose a set up with a bigger difference front to rear. The std car has a 271 front and 371 rear, which is the same as the NA car. The S has nearly 40kg more high up over the rear. Lotus have a 150 lb difference front to rear on the cup cars.

So i would suggest if you want 400 fronts go to 550 rear…as i plan to do, or if you only want 500 rear then come down to 350 front. For reference U.S. CXup cars are approx 425 front and 575 rear.

No probs, Ian

You are a seasoned trackday warrior in your Exige, but Ade only got his late last year, & imho until he gets experience of the car on track, it’s totally pointless upgrading it (geo set up apart) for 4 or 5 trackdays a year, until something breaks or you’re a driving god

I have to diagree with pesky, the Exige S is grossly undersprung on the track IMO. I have improved it a lot with more negative camber but its way too soft, especially at the rear, which means it tends to tip over and tie itself in knots coming out of tight corners.

However, i would suggest you choose a set up with a bigger difference front to rear. The std car has a 271 front and 371 rear, which is the same as the NA car. The S has nearly 40kg more high up over the rear. Lotus have a 150 lb difference front to rear on the cup cars.

So i would suggest if you want 400 fronts go to 550 rear…as i plan to do, or if you only want 500 rear then come down to 350 front. For reference U.S. CXup cars are approx 425 front and 575 rear.

My nitrons are 400/550 and close to full soft its perfectly useable on the roads however it takes some time to get used to the low ride height. Can’t wait to do a trackday.

Ride height? 110F 120R?

Thanks

If your anywhere near london I could drive you in mine when my car’s warranty issues are sorted out.

I concur with Ian’s opinion on this one.

It’s my understanding that the standard (recommended by Guy) spring rates on the single adjustable Nitrons are 425(front) and 550 (rear) but you have the option of going 475/600 and the shocks are still working within their intended range.

For the record, the Cup240/255 Ohlin double adjustable spring rates are 458 and 571.

PPS Unless you’ve passengered with any of the factory drivers, you’ll have no real idea of what a standard Exige is capable of on track.

Now there’s a real truth. Had the opportunity to sit with Mathew Becker at a demo day on april 30th on the Zandvoort racetrack. My thoughts afterwards: Geee, I am a driving wuzzy.

Nico

Had the opportunity to sit with Mathew Becker at a demo day on april 30th on the Zandvoort racetrack. My thoughts afterwards: Geee, I am a driving wuzzy.

Nico

That’s the same reaction as the 30 odd Exige owners who went round Donington at the last exiges.com day, with Matt in a n/a Exige, or Gav Kershaw in an Exige S. Both cars were running on standard suspension & brakes, apart from Gav’s, whose pads were changed at lunchtime, from standards to Pagid RS14’s (he hadn’t brought any spares, so the Edwards Boyz sorted him out with some of their’s!). Adrian Newey also spent 30 mins or so out on track driving the Exige S with Gav as passenger.

[image]tsuphoto.com - tsuphoto Resources and Information. [image]tsuphoto.com - tsuphoto Resources and Information.

Photos courtesy of TSU Photography Exiges Day 2006

I had the privilege of going round Donington with MB. Unbelievable.And that was only one lap.Glad I’m not alone in my admiration

I concur with Ian’s opinion on this one.

It’s my understanding that the standard (recommended by Guy) spring rates on the single adjustable Nitrons are 425(front) and 550 (rear) but you have the option of going 475/600 and the shocks are still working within their intended range.

For the record, the Cup240/255 Ohlin double adjustable spring rates are 458 and 571.

I do not mean to be a total anorak, but…

The spring rates you quote are correct for the U.S. Cup cars, as they are not street legal Lotus go for a stiffer spring. European model Cup cars are 325 front and approx 450 rear. (the 450 is not exact as Russell at Lotus Motorsport was not 100% sure if it was 450 or a bit more, he did not have the numbers to hand)

For me the euro cup car rates sound a bit soft too, i intend to go for something along the lines of the U.S cup car rates like nitron recomend.

Ride height? 110F 120R?

Thanks

TBH can’t understand why you want to change the things you mention - unless they’re broken.

You’d be better off spending your money firstly on getting the car properly geo’d (are Plans Motorsport accessible for you?), & secondly on driver instruction on the relatively few trackdays you intend to do.

PS How many trackdays (& where) have you done in the your Exige so far?

I am well aware of how capable the car is I previously owned a Series 1 Sport190 Elise in which I did many track days, I just can’t get the confidence in the Exige the extra weight and higher CoG with the softer springs allows too much roll for me, I am still learning the car after only 2 trackdays in it, but I really want to change it so I don’t have to learn all over again. From the day I bought it I felt it was too softly sprung but could not choose a supplier to use. Now I decided to run Nitron I wanted to get some advise on how hard the springs can be.

Fair play, Ade

I’m running Nitrons S/A with 525F/650R…you can ask Guy Evens at Nitron how well this setup works…a few track days but mostly canyons/mountain driving…these spring rates work…

Ride height? 110F 120R?

Thanks

If your anywhere near london I could drive you in mine when my car’s warranty issues are sorted out.

Thanks that is a great offer, where about are you? I live in Southend.
Also what ride height did you go for? and where did you have them fitted?
Sorry for all the questions but I have the money to do this and it is burning a hole in my pocket

i have to agree with bruhlah too, i followed him on a track day and thought at first it was a commer van going sideways at 100 mph in front of me. the s definately needs a bit of help to stay flatter, if not for the enhanced driving experience then to stop the scratches on the mirrors.

Just a final bit of advice needed now

My car goes in Monday for the Nitrons to be fitted, I’m trying to work out the best geo and ride height settings to use. So far sinclairs have suggested 110\120 ride heights and to use the Waspy geo settings.
Now afaik these setting are for an S2 Elise rather than an S2 Exige S,
So will these be ok?
My S1 Sport190 used to run 100\110 ride heights is there any benefit going to this?
I don’t mind if the car is quite aggressive for turn in, in fact I like that in a car.

Thanks as always from a clot who likes driving not spending every minute trying to make the set up better

100 on the raod is unusable imo

I am 110/120 and can run my car on the road but I do have to still avoid some roads with bigger speed bumbs

What is the standard ride height of the car?
I must admit I have never measured it

130/130 AFAIK