Newby first drive

I test drove an exige S2 at Bell and Colville on sat, don’t really know what “packs” it had, but all in all a great drive. I am looking at one for my daily drive, will hardly ever (if ever) be used on track. I want it to go quick and be reasonably civilised.

Anyone any thoughts on what to go for?

Are B&C any good?

Thanks
Graham

I drove mine to work today (only got it yesterday). I found it very pleasant. I’ve got Touring Pack and AC which is pretty much all I need (although a decent DAB/FM aerial will have to be sourced soon. If its any warmer than today then the AC will be needed. If you’re only using it on the road I’d be tempted to get a 111r. My decision was mostly driven by the looks though, I love my Exige, I can stare at it all day. (sad sad man)

I found B&C to be very good. Scott Walker is particularly knowledgeable.

i use mine for the daily commute all year round. no problems yet. ac really helps with the demisting, so would recommend it.

thanks for the info peeps. I assumed the AC would be needed judging by how hot it was on saturday. I am a bit of a sucker for top of the range power even if it’s not realy needed on the road!

B&C have failed the first sales test sadly. They promised faithfully a call back on the trade in price on my current car and haven’t. I don’t ask for much, but being sold to is one of them! I dont exactly look a time waster, middle aged, reasonable address, goodly number of car toys, bought a new scooby from them in the past.

Hey ho. Impressed by the car though!!

Graham

Are you anywhere near Milton Keynes?

RobS is an S1 Exige owner and would look after you.

Are you anywhere near Milton Keynes?

RobS is an S1 Exige owner and would look after you.

Sadly not, I am in Epsom.

So to a really dumb question…how different is a new exige from a new elise?

Graham

how different is a new exige from a new elise

wow…there’s a really leading question…

how different is a new exige from a new elise

wow…there’s a really leading question…

And the answer is…?

And the answer is…?

Graham

What do you mean by differences, cos some are obvious eg looks

Do some research on the specs Here , then contact a dealer(s) and arrange back to back test drives. You will then ascertain the differences, & whether they have any consequences for your buying decision.

okey dokey, it was a broad question. I guess my question is are they basically the same car with different bodies or are they very different cars with different driving experiences?

If you took the top off an exige and tested it blind (as it were!) against an elise with the same engine on a typical back-road blast would you know they were different?

Is it the same chassis, suspension, geometry, gbox etc and the choice is between soft-top and fitted hard top, or is it more fundamental than that.

Any info gratefully received.

Graham

had a look at the site thanks…apart from diff size front tyres and diff tyres, diff weights, slightly diff external dimensions, looks identical.

Graham

Graham,

As a 111R owner, i can say the only real difference (that you can’t see) is the suspension & ride, which is more optimised for the track in the Exige, but still great for the road. A 111R with AO48’s & LSS would give you the same car, but with a genuine roof option

The difference in downforce will go unnoticed on the road, & on all but the high speed circuits on track.

My comments refer only to comparison with the S2 NA Exige of course

Tim.

Spring rates are firmer on the Exige, the tyres are optimised for dry tarmac, the bodywork is biased towards giving more downforce at the expense of increased drag (hence the lower top speed).

If you want the real deal then its got to be the Exige. If you want to drive it to work in february then its the Elise.

Doh, too slow…

If you want the real deal then its got to be the Exige. If you want to drive it to work in february then its the Elise.

I would be driving to work in feb! The exige I test drove seemed to be fine for commuting, so I don’t think I would be too worried there.

Thanks for the info chaps.
Graham

Graham, good decision. After 5 days of ownership I’m tempted to do the same…

The two die hard elise drivers (both 750MC kit car racers) I know have both switched to winter tyres just now and are very happy. You really dont want to be using the standard Yoko A048 in anything more than slightly damp weather. They can grip in the damp due to their soft compound but they cant cut through any standing water and they wont give you any warning when they slip. My car has Continental Sport Contact 2s on just now, which are a very friendly general purpose tyre (I’ll be putting the A048s back on soon though). You could use Yoko Advan Neovas which are developed for the Elise but they only do fronts in 175 wide which may be a bit stretched on the Exige rims.

If I were using it in the winter slime I’d fit Conti Winter Contact TS810s with narrower front tyres (185/55/16) (similar to the Elise’s). Another friend with a stock S2 Elise on the Bridgestones found himself in a ditch a few weeks back when he applied a little throttle whilst pootling down the outside lane of a dual carraigeway, it just snapped round without warning - he took another car off with him which was very concerning.

One other idea is the Ohlins suspension pack. If you get a car with adjustable shocks you could soften it up to find a better compromise for winter use.

Anyway, just a few thoughts…

BC

What happened to the se7en Bob?

Dave

Hi Dave

Someone rang me up and offered me lots of money for it. It now lives in Aberdeen so I doubt I’ll see it again…

The upgrade path took me to a place I didn’t want to go. The car turned into a missile basically. With the aeroscreen and a quoted 214BHP-155lb/ft in 500kg + super close ratio 6 speed box it would just accelerate like a rocket which could get you in all sorts of hot water when you arrived at a corner or hit a few bumps/ruts. The Exige is nowhere near as fast in a straight line but the chassis allows me to enjoy the performance it does have, also the radio, heater and roof mean that I can enjoy on days like today.

I may pop by to say hello sometime if thats okay?

Bob

Sounds a sensible trade off, Se7ens do tend to become single dimensional as you up the power stakes.

Pop in anytime, just give a quick phonecall first to make sure I’m around.

Dave