Newbie me

Hello, some people may know me from SELOC or NYLOC or BCBBS.

I have a S1 Elise but am looking to purchase a S1 Exige in the very near future (Can no longer be arsed with stupid bloody roof)

I have a few questions that have probably been answered a million times before but…

Milage…on the Elise milage recording can be switched on and off easier than opening the fuel cap…is it the same on the Exige ? Don’t want to spend a bit more on a lower milage car if that is the case.

Anything else I need to know…is the 190kit really lumpy and farty…i hear thet the 170 may be more useable ?

Anyone know any decent ones up North ?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum!

Cheers
NeilR

Welcome to the dark side (Mwwahahahaha!)

I have never even heard of the mileage-disconnect thing, I don’t think that anybody here would bother with that, after all, mileage would be important only if you’re thinking on selling the car, right?

And regards to the 190 or 177, they’re about the same. I would go for the 190 given the chance, but 177 goes well as well, no real difference. Besides, if you’re planning later on modifying it you’ll go for the Emerald and verniers anyway (which essentially is the 190)

Check on the classifieds, every once in a while you’ll find one there, and if it’s from one of us, you can follow their history very well on these pages.

Hi,

I too came from an S1 Elise which I had for nearly 3 years.

Basically there is no comparison! Jump in an Exige and immediately feels so much better than the Elise (but I also loved my Elise too) Wanted to keep both

As for milaege, well I was quite lucky to find one a year ago with only 6000 miles on at 3years old, full 190 kit and a very very tidy car!

But saying that I have had a fair few problems HGF, throttle bodies jamming etc so shows milaege doesnt always show a good indication of whether your going to have problems or not.

But now I have fallen in love with it Im not getting rid of it!

To be honest it runs much better now that it has a few more miles on it and I have used it everyday for the last year to commute in and out of the city and yes it can be pain from time to time spluttering and banging but wouldnt change anything about it! Its me dream car!

And the Exigers are a great bunch, In all the time I had my Elise I never met any owners with the knowledge and enthusiasm these chaps do and who would put themselves out of their way to help you out!

Go on just buy one

Paul

I’m also looking at upgrading from an elise.

Are there any issues with the 190 kit and MOT’s?

Andy,

As far as I know, the 190 kit is fine for the MOT as long as the cat is fitted and ok!

But my car passed the MOT last week with flying colours and Im sure its still in the cupboard

hehe ! can’t beat friendly MOT stations. HGF Bloody Krap Series

hehe ! can’t beat friendly MOT stations.

Dont know what you mean!

HGF Well yes but I do like the K series, Im not going to get onto the debate of engines but I think with its lumpiness and spluttering it adds a bit of a race car feel to the car!

As soon as I heard it start up in the showroom it brought a big grin to my face Just like that one

I sold my S1 Elise and bought Dave R’s Exige and and have never looked back. It can be a shame that the roof does not come off but the handling and performance more than make up for the lack.

With regards to using every day you can use it although I find with mine that it does not like to sit in traffic below about 2,5K revs but as the idle is approx 1,5K it is not hard to understand the reason for this.

I am not sure about the mileage trick and will look tonight to see if it is the same as the S1.

It is probably best to buy a car which you/people know as bills can soon mount, but to be honest I have not found it any more than the Elise with the expection of Brakes and Tyres, but I never had partically great tyres on the Elise.

Mileage trick??? are you suggesting some people are unscroupulous

I have heard about in on the Elises but never on an Exige though possible I guess if some one wanted to fit a different type of stack unit (for racing of course) but again not seen or heard of it ( the old hands on here would know)and it wouldnt be a cheap option unlike the Elise jobbie.

At the end of the day the vehicles condition and service history should be the best indicator and of course if it was owned by some one off this site or known to them then that may help.

If I remember rightly we briefly met in Le Treport with Burt, Headlock & crowd…too many beers…

Mark

Yeah we did That was a good night.

There arn’t many Exiges for sale at Dealers…I’m going to be picky and wait for exactly what I want (doesn’t help that I don’t really know what I want)

Con Air, nice colour, race/comfy seats, carbon airbox…just hoping it will be more comfy than my S1 and it’s wooden seats, and handle better.

Whats the handling ike compared to the S2 Exige ?

I’ve got my eye on this little beastie

http://www.williamsautomobiles.com/used_lotus/html/car10.html

Is this a known car?

The S2 is meant to have top suspension for the road, and certainly has the only real A/c worth having (I wouldn’t worry too much on a S1, other than it gives you air vents in the cabin, you don’t get them otherwise). On the track I think the S1 (certainly with Nitron) is the one to have (lighter, more downforce).

The S1 factory sports seat are very good.

As for colour, well, Gunmetal is best…but there’ll be a few along in a moment to disagree (of course they are wrong).

Ian

I’ve got my eye on this little beastie

http://www.williamsautomobiles.com/used_lotus/html/car10.html

Is this a known car?

They MAY have made 900 (inc. race cars, etc) but there are A LOT less than that registered for the Great British roads. 250 or something.

That one looks quite tidy, what tyres it got on it?

Ian

Rubber ones... They're round as well, kinda tyre shaped... Filled 'em with air and everything!

no idea, I only know whats on that webpage

I would go down to see it, but I’ll end up buying it before I’m ready!

Ian is clearly mistaken - black is by far the best colour, a sentiment I am sure Mr Lane will be back me up on!!

I have a 177bhp (in black of course) with Aircon. Apart from the vents, the aircon it is pretty crap and I am considering losing it if I go the Emerald route (currently under consideration).

Yellow one does look kinda tasty tho

Rubber ones... They're round as well, kinda tyre shaped... Filled 'em with air and everything!

LOL
Are you sure ??? cant have been the same ones on yours or the lampost wouldn’t have got in the way

M

They MAY have made 900 (inc. race cars, etc) but there are A LOT less than that registered for the Great British roads. 250 or something.

Nope, only 601 made all in all.

LOL
Are you sure ??? cant have been the same ones on yours or the lampost wouldn’t have got in the way

M

Well mine are a little square now

Besides I think the nut behind the wheel came a bit loose

Nope, only 601 made all in all.

But that was just “Exiges” right? Not the Motorsport Elise’s as well…

Uldis - out of interest can one tell from the VIN number what build number ones car is? Being lazy as I havent looked

Cheers

M