New Exige?

Where can i find the pic of the white car. I’d like to see that. Just to let you know, this is a plug, just some info. We are expecting to get our demo car late Q1 or early Q2 of 2004. Nothing more certain than that yet, so the test drives may still be a little way off, but demand has certainly been strong so far from what I’ve seen, so Lotus should be happy, your chaps right.

Bit alarming that they’ve only got one finished car at this stage - a friend is a development engineer at Lotus and has confided that there has been v little development work carried out on S2 Exige but lots on the Toyota motor

Anyway, Its anybodys guess what theyve got in development but Im sure we’ll all find out soon enough. The picture of the white car is on the previous thread - New Lotus Exige imminent.

http://www.exiges.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=14858&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

By the way, Im sure my source was truthful!!!
Come on he did come up to me at a petrol station after all…

I think one does exist in the flesh, a friend of a friend (who works at a Lotus Dealership) saw it at Hethel earlier in the week.

Check out this US Celica owners site, especially the [color:“red”]Hot Topic[/color] & Elise threads web page

Check out this US Celica owners site, especially the [color:“red”]Hot Topic[/color] & Elise threads > web page >

Pesky… as ever…Yoo da maan!! Never cease to amaze me…

very intersting read me thinks… shame Honda wouldn’t sell Lotus the K20A… booger

Much as I want to like the idea of a new toyota engines Exige, I feel that whatever the spec, the 1.8VVTi is just not going to be up to the job…

The car is undoubtably going to end up heavier than the original, and yet the 1.8VVTi is going to be maybe 10Bhp more?

When the Exige frist came out, it was patently clear it needed more power, and a 1.8 4 pot is not the way forward, there is no way you can get a production engine to meet EU4 and produce a relable 200+bhp.

What is needed is something like a 2.5-3L V6 that can made ~220-240 Bhp without having the living daylights screamed out of it, but once again, Lotus will fail to understand it’s market…

(look how long it took them to put a decent engine in the Esprit, and when they finnally did get one, the gearbox crippled it, and the car was 20+ years out of date)

It’s all very well going on about light weight rather than more power, but in the reality of road cars today, that’s just a pipe-dream - remeber the Elise was targeted at 600Kg’s, they missed that by 100Kg’s and have put on more weight ever since…

I have to agree that a new Exige should have a larger capacity engine of some sort and a “V” configuration makes sense for more torque ( well more everything actually ) - however a question:

The packaging of a transverse “V” engine must be a problem ? Depending on the v angle you are going to physically shift the weight towards the rear of the car ( without serious bulkhead modifications ). Then what gearbox ?

My guess is that engineering cost is out of Lotus’s budget

Hope someone can tell me this is bull and I really can keep dreaming of a Cyclone V8 in the back of my Exige

Andy,

Your making assumptions about V6 installations…

No reason you can’t mount a V6 transversly, they are shorter than in-line 4’s.

With the current Exige bulkhead were it is, there is no reason you could not mount up a V6 with just minor mods to the sub-frame, putting the engine’s COG is about the same place as it currently is.

Gearbox wise, what’s the problem? there are plenty of V6’s in FWD cars transversly done, and the current PG-1 gearbox also fit’s the production KV6 engine.

wieght wise, only issue with a V6 is it will be more, but the KV6 is only ~20Kg’s more (all be it the COG is slightly higher depending on what orientation you mount it in.

Simon

Appreciate what your say - I was thinking about the relative widths rather than lengths - meaning would that result in pushing the centre line of the engine towards the rear ( I am assuming a V6 like the KV6 is wider because of the “v” than an inline 4 ) ?? If not what is the problem with a V6 install ?

I like the idea of the Honda conversion for more reliable power and better transmission - but maybe there is an alternative route ?

Andy, we all know Lotus can’t fit a wider engine in as there’d be no room for a boot or the Air Con!

Simon,

that’s the way to go.
We should get together and start a project to install a V6.
It would be the Exiges.com upgrade (hey, I need a job!)
Now, which brand is the KV6 you’re talking about?
And what kind of power does a relaibly tuned engine give?
Which is the PG1 gearbox?

I mean 20 Kg extra is nothing at all, isn’t the Honda engine heavier than that by a large margin?

Uldis

Uldis

The KV6 is the Rover V6 as fitted to the 75 and 25/45 models.

PG1 is the same gearbox (casting) as the existing Exige unit so …

Unit is used by the MG 25 touring cars - see mg-xpower.com. - the 2litre unit produces 270 ps so I guess the std 2.5l could be breathed on to get somewhere near the same with some sort of relaibility.

Havn’t seen much about the KV6 ( waiting to be proven wrong …) and so guess its gonna be development and cost a few quid …

But … apart from the cylone that I’ve fallen for what else makes sense in the Exige ?

I like the idea better than the Honda as well but develpoment costs money …

Seen one in the flesh today !!!

Black one, stood outside the club house at Hethel and it drove past us onto the track.

Not sure what I think at the moment - Just in love with the S1 shape Exige - Had small 15" wheels on for some reason today so looked a bit poky IMHO

Was going for it on the track though

Ric

Ric - tell us more, tell us more???

More to tell. OK more awake this morning.

Spoiler - As you may have seen from the pictures the rear spoiler is supported by two central struts coming out of the engine cover rather than on the rear deck, It is a lot smaller than the S1 version and is well within the confines of the rear clam. ie. its a lot lower, narrower across the car and narrower in chord. Not sure I like it as the car dosn’t look as agressive. Going round the track as it came past the club house it gives the impression of being a much shorter wheelbase!! I am certain its not but rather an illusion created by the smaller wheels being used and the smaller spoiler.

Front Bonnet - Smooth lines instead of the deep vents, still got mesh vents in the bonnet but overall line of the bonnet is a smooth one.

Much smaller air scoop on the roof with I believe removeable panels each side - Targa style.

Wheels as I said last night were small and punny but must have been on for some sort of testing.

I went round for a couple of laps in my car earlier in the day and there was a van on the back straight with what looked like timing beams set up on the track - not sure if these were connected with the Exige 2 testing.

Rear clam looked very square at the back end, and I believe 2 square exhausts one on each side of car. HOWEVER !!! Big caveat on this one I only saw the back very briefly as it drove past me and couldn’t absorb all I was seeing quickly enough. I just sort of remember seeing a square exhaust on the offside of the car and thus assumed there must have been one on the nearside.

Oh and finally spoke to someone close to devlopment work on the ride and handling and his quiet under the breath comment about its handling was “its going to be F*****g supurb”

Well if I think of more I will add to it.

Ric

Thanks Ric

There’s a short article in Autocar this week. �33k available in March - hmm?! They’re even taking styling cues from a remote control car!!!

If that price is right the second year’s warranty (which they now have to give) could cut into profits.