New Exige?

S1 exige.... donchajustluvit...

Think the S1 Exige is better looking than the S2.(couldn’t resist being the first to say it)

Don’t get me wrong, I still think that for looks the S2 is nice as well, (well, let’s see one on the flesh… erm… fiberglass).

But you just can’t deny that the original one is like a work of art. All the lines, curves are in the correct place.
It’s smooth yet strong, it’s agressive yet gentle. Even more than the original, the Elise.

The shapes can’t be but classic (did somebody say that before?)
Let’s see in the S2 feels as sorted as the original one.

Uldis, I think you’re over concerned with who buys the car. I originally wanted an Exige, bought a s2 111s instead because I needed to use it everyday ~ I just thought the 111s made more sense at the time. On many occasions since I have regretted my decision but the hope of a new s2 Exige being available when I’ve added a few more miles to the current Liz has kept me from upgrading to the S1 Exige so far. If I’d known how much fun track days were or how much I’d end up spending on modifying the Liz I’d have bought the Exige in the first place but with hindsight it’s easy.

Please don’t fear if “rich trendy types” buy the new Exige, even they might be tempted onto the track! Admittedly a few will never see the track but many/most will, I don’t see Lotus creating “Exige II ~ This time it’s soft”.

BTW ~ I’m neither trendy or loaded and if this car performs as well as the S1 I’ll have one, if it doesn’t I’ll try and get my hands on an S1. Either way you boys/gals have a classic and will hopefully receive newbies with open arms!

Jamber

Well I’m surprised but I’ll admit when I’m wrong.

I want to try one, but for some reason I also want to beat one on the track. I can’t believe that price Pesky, I’d expect close to �40k given the cost of the Elise 190, but perhaps it’s just not the same type of tool.

I suppose it’ll bring a whole new lease of life to the Exiges.com. Another run of stickers needed Pesky?!

Ian

I have to agree with Uldis 100%…

Still worth a test drive though…when it does finally hit the UK dealers…

-Gman

I think the shape is a logical, if undaring, progression from the S2, with pretty much the same changes from Elise->Exige as the S1 model had.

I think it might look nice in black, the only colour which suits the S2 Elise.

It’s still underpowered but that was to be expected really.

I predict an opening price of �39,995 with occasional “offers” of �35,995 when it becomes sticky to sell.

Looks okay - but I’m sticking to my original! With less than 600 knocking about worldwide we are the fortunate few. I really don’t think another motor could tempt me to sell. Wouldn’t say no to having one AS WELL as mine - especially the mythical 400bhp M270 - but not instead of.

Cheers, Tim

I’m lead to believe the VX Sprint has had much more Hethel track time than this has. Could say something.

This is a big day for Exiges.com, the announcement of a sibling’s birth!

Ian

Latest pic from Lotus Design this morning

http://www.jamber.com/~jambercom/exige2.jpg

Everytime I buy a Lotus a new version comes out!
When I bought my Elise the S2 was launched and now that Im the proud owner of a Stonking Silver Exige, Lotus decide to launch a new one
It looks good but I still dont think gives the ‘WOW’ factor of the Original.
Oh and I’ve got one of them sat on me drive! YIPPEE

Robbo

Just before anyone comments…
It was the first picture (The Lotus one) I liked and not the Yaris… sorry Celica one!!!

I always said that the new exige would really have to out drive and look much better than my mk.1 to be able to tempt me. Can’t really judge the look from the cartoon Lotus have provided, but the initial specs seem somewhat underwhelming. Unless there is another Lotus upgrade, as there was with the mk.1 Exige, there doesn’t look to be a meaningful increase in performance if any! The honda engine transplant route seems all that more appealing now.

Post deleted by Admin5

Come on then Mr Bull, earn your phone call. What does it weigh? Torque?

Ian

Ian,

How does less than 2000lbs, about 40kg more than the MKI Exige and 180Nm fair? Am I going to get a call?

Ian,

How does less than 2000lbs, about 40kg more than the MKI Exige and 180Nm fair? Am I going to get a call?

Err - so ~900Kg’s and 135Ft/Lbs?

Not exactly light or over-powered then?

Ian,

Err - so ~900Kg’s and 135Ft/Lbs?

Not exactly light or over-powered then?

I’m with you there.
I’ll keep mine.

But also I’ll keep an eye open for a damaged S2 Exige on ebay for a track only car and go ballistic with the mods there (was thinking of doing the same already with an S2 Elise)

Maybe on a couple of years time…

Uldis

Well okay, thank you for the info but sadly it’s rather what I was expecting, a small step forward. It’s not going to be much quicker (that Honda engine is looking more appealing all the time). How are they justifying sub-5secs?? It could just be coming from the extra ratio? What about after sales ‘track only’ mods, like the S1 190 kit?

Okay, I promise to call you (whatever the answer) if you can tell me about the tyre sizes. The S2 Elise has narrower fronts than the S1 that provide loads of understeer - yuk! Have they done the same thing to the S2 Exige?

Oh, and when are you expecting one that can be test driven?

Cheers, Ian

Just as I was filling up with petrol a guy came over to me saying ‘Have you seen the new one?’, ‘Have you seen the new one?’ all excited
Then proceeded to tell me he was at Hethel yesterday for the Alistair Mcqueen driver day and was been told that Lotus have already built one S2 Exige which was a finished car.

The White one already posted on here do you think?

Anyway he said Lotus seemed very excited about it by the number of orders theyve taken $$$$$

The test drives may be sooner than you all think!