New Exhaust

First pics of my new exhaust for Exige S2 and Elise 111R. This is the prototype and should be going into production in the next few weeks. At the moment it is exhaust + CAT bypass, there will also be available a sports high flow CAT. The tailpipes have a recess where ‘dB’ killers can be fitted, so it becomes a little quieter for road use, fixed in with a circlip. The exhaust sounds fantastic on full chat, as Mr Pesky will no doubt confirm. The tail pipes can be made to any configuration the purchaser requires. Not sure what the final weight will be yet, but just for reference the Lotus standard CAT weighs 4.4 kg and the Lotus standard exhaust weighs in at 13.3 kg. It will be considerably lighter and made from 304 grade stainless steel.

Comments welcome.

[image]http://www.jayz3cee.btinternet.co.uk/exhaust1sml.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.jayz3cee.btinternet.co.uk/exhaust2sml.jpg[/image]

John

The exhaust sounds fantastic on full chat, as Mr Pesky will no doubt confirm.

Indeed, it does sound fab. Plus on tickover, & in traffic, it now sounds like a beasty sportscar, not an impression of a bloody hairdryer as it did on leaving Hethel.

The tail pipes also look the biz

This is a short clip of Jaycee’s car taken with my phone’s camera, so picture quality is crap, but the noise is

Clicky Here

In addition I had the car dyno’d with the standard exhaust on and will be taking it later in the week to be re-dyno’d so can we compare the bhp/torque from one tut tuther through the range.
John

Im impressed that does sound good and the end cans look good too…

Comments welcome.

Looks ideal!

Ian

I’m sorry. Don’t want to be negative (and I don’t even have an S2) but am I the only one that doesn’t like it?

I mean, the bits we don’t see may be right, but the fact that the pipes exit through the undertray is already not optimum, and the only way that I see them not interfereing with aerodynamics is if they were flush with the undertray, like on the first pictures that came out.
I mean, like the very edge of the tips slanted, level with the undertray.

These look like right there on the airflow, interrupting it.

Just my 2p.

Uldis

As ever, good points, but the S2 Exige exhaust exits through the undertray as standard. Jaycee’s undertray has not been modified.

Maybe I didn’t express myself well.
There was a picture (one of the first pictures) of the 111R of the proposed exhausts.
These also exit through the undertray, but the pipes were cut flush with the undertray.
In a way that made it appear as if the undertray just has a couple of elongated (oval) holes.
Apart from looking pretty neat and having obvious aerodynamic advantages, it also avoided the last sharp bend, which I’m sure can’t be good for power.

If I find that picture I’ll post it so you can see what I mean (been looking for it but so far no luck).

Ok, found one, something like this:

[image]http://www.puresportscar.com/gallery/data/2/2elise_rear_diffuser_us_spec.jpg[/image]

or this
Lotus stage 2 exhaust
John

I mean, like the very edge of the tips slanted, level with the undertray.

Uldis
The exhaust can be made to exit any way the customer wants. They can be made to exit as quad pipes exiting 2 either side of the car where the red reflectors are either side of the number plate which would be even better for the air flow. Whatever takes your fancy.
John

Excellent!

But I don’t even have an S2 …

Excellent!

But I don’t even have an S2 …

YET Don’t fight it dude.

jaycee

ignoring the fact that it pokes out the diffuser - that’s lotus fault not yours - it looks excellent, i particularly like the way the tailpipes are finished. Who is it that builds it ?

in pursuit of perfection i agree with Uldis tho’ and it would be interesting to see one made flush with the diffuser aka the same as the ASTI…

Who is it that builds it ?

Blue Flame Exhausts
John

Nigel is the guy to speak to at Blue Flame, if anyone is interested. My car is back there tomorrow after a week of running the exhaust to have the Lotus one refitted then they can jig up to put the pre production one into production. I am WELL impressed with he sound, taking it to have the emissions checked tomorrow am and then I will do my own noise check with the meter. The final weight I will know later as the final box will be slightly smaller than the one on at the mo. See earlier posts re weight of standard system.
Blue Flame are no strangers to Lotus, they made the system for Lotus for the 340R and have done work for TVR as well.
I have a titanium can for my motorbike from Blue Flame and am well impressed with that. The quality of the bike can gave me the idea to approach them to design and build a system for the Exige.

Blue Flame pipe for Triumph 955i Sprint ST

Again the thing that impressed me about the guys at Blue Flame was that I wanted the bike can at an angle both against the side panel and angled inwards towards the rear wheel. No problem it was done, great guys to work with, it’s a case of not what you see you get but what you want you get.

John

Taking it to have the emissions checked tomorrow am and then I will do my own noise check with the meter.

As expected with the CRT the emissions are through the roof!!! Noise wise the Lotus figures for the standard exhaust are 98 dB(A) at 5850 rpm the Blue Flame was hovering at 98 to 99 dB(A) at 5850 ish rpm.
John

Any further development on this yet?

Any further development on this yet?

Herbie
Yes, I have a final production system on now. It comprises of a 100cpsi sports CAT and rear box (the initial system they were working on had a CRP but that sent the emissions up the swanee and had the MIL light coming on). The system is 4kg lighter than standard Lotus system. It’s definatly smoother low down and pulls stronger low down as well. Is was fitted last week in time for the Anglesey track days last weekend. I was told by another S2 Exige owner who was on track, sorry I’m no good at remembering names, Black S2 think reg something like X2 EXG, that it sounded fantastic and it certainly does, maybe others up there at the time have some comments about it, good or bad. Car went very well on track with it on, I will be at Croft on the 28th, if your up there check it out. No problems with noise limit on track either.
As for a price you will need to contact Nigel at Blue Flame Performance Mention my name please, John Cartledge.
JayCee

Jaycee

I also enjoyed listening to it, whilst we were going through the tunnels on A55, on the journey to/from Anglesey

Superb looking/sounding piece of kit