Name the bits...

Guys,
I’m fitting this week the Emerald ECU. Opened the rear panel and found:

Now, any help to name the bits?:

A- Lotus std ECU
B- Lotus own strange/incompatible connector (bugger, have to change this)
C- Alarm movement detector?
D- Fuses (from left to right …?)
E- Relay…?
F- Relay…?
G- Relay…?
H- Strange connector for … what?
I- another part of the alarm?
J- another conector for… what?

Uldis

Bloody hell, why doesn’t the pic appear?

Uldis,

A- LOTUS STD ECU.
B- LOTUS ECU CONNECTOR.
C- ALARM MICROWAVE SENSOR.
D- FUSES FOR (LEFT TO RIGHT) IGN COIL, ENGINE MANAGEMENT CANISTER PURGE CONTROL, ENGINE MANAGEMENT (OBD2), FUEL PUMP INJECTORS.
E- RELAY FOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT IGN SUPPLY.
F- STARTER SOLENOID.
G- RELAY FOR FUEL PUMP.
H- OBD2 CONNECTOR !!
I- ALARM IMMOBILISER UNIT,
J- ?

This is from the Exige w/shop manual,

Hope it’s of some use,

Steve.

Thanks Steve, and what would be an OBD2 connector?
Silly me, I have the manual but couldn’t find this info…

Any bets on J?

Uldis

On Phil’s myexige.com site there is a diagram of how to connect an emerald to the exige wiring

Thanks, I have the diagram already, it’s just that opening that place I realized I (and I guess some of us) don’t know what’s all that.

Good to know.

Thanks Steve, and what would be an OBD2 connector?
Silly me, I have the manual but couldn’t find this info…

Any bets on J?

Uldis

OBD = On Board Diagnostics. This is where the mechanic plugs in to run/check diagnostics on the ECU.

J = what colour are the wires? and how many? are there volts present at any time (ie ignition off/on). Could it be something to do with the battery charger connection used in 340R’s or could it be a connector used with Lucas/Cobra alarms? Does it dissapear into the loom or can you see see it go in th edirection of the alarm modules (eg “C”)?

If you find out let us know…

Well I suppose that with the Emerald this plug will become obsolete then.

I will check where that other one goes then.
Tomorrow I’m doing the brain transplant.

hi guys, what benefits would you get fitting the emerald ecu to a standard exige? how much does it cost? is it quite safe to change? and what would you recommend upgrading first? rooney

It’s ALIVE!

brain transplant done, trying to understand now all the adjustments.
Dave must be tired of me calling. Last was last night at 9:30 pm becasue the car was runing on two cylinders! I was scared it was the old fault.
It turn sout you have to declare in the Emerald that you have two coils.
Good he told me that. Changed it and … Brrrmmm, brrrmmm, brrrmmm…
Today toook it for a drive and it seems all ok, haven’t revved it past 4000, but will today.

Those of you who have it already, can you tell me if you also see the tach blipping while driving at low revs? around 2000-3000 (non constantly) the needle jumps ip or down and then continues to work normally.
The engine runs ok meanwhile.

Uldis

PS - Rooney, search around in the archive, there’s lots said about the Emerald, but in short, if you are planning on doing the 190 upgrade, the Emerald way is much better (torque wise, flexibility, upgradeability, and about the same price).
And for a DIY�r like me, it’s a must to get intimate with your car.

Uldis

After fitting the emerald my rev counter did NOT jump around as you describe.

You can have a look at Donny next week, anyway…

Well done on getting it all to work

Rooney

According to Lotus, there are quite wide tolerances on a lot of the components, and cam timings, so the standard fuel and ignition map is a compromise designed to stop engines blowing up.

Yours may already be perfect, but if not an emerald and a rolling road session could just be the making of the car…

And once you have the emerald there is no reason not to start on the modification trail…

Thanks lads, I’ve only driven one other exige and that was standard too so I dont really know how good mine is.
Uldis, how often do you go to knockhill as I wouldn’t mind seeing your car.

Rooney

It might have been better to ask how often Uldis goes home…

Actually, I’m almost a local there.
Have been three times this month (I should be a partner!).
There’s another trackday this Sunday 21st from 1 to 6pm, for �50, organized by Town & County Lotus (look for Trevor Lawn, the manager).
You have to be at KH at 12:00 to book and pay.

But there is a large Scottish Lotus following. We get together for runs, trackdays, BBQs, etc. And being in Fife you are in the middle of us all!
The best way to know what happens up here is to subscribe to the Scottish Elises group.

You just need a yahoo profile, click on “Join” and you’ll get more than you bargained for

But this Sunday I’m not 100% sure I’m going, but I don’t think I’ll be driving in the track.
I shouldn’t drive it in anger until it’s been mapped properly.
I’m driving down to Emerald on Monday. Tuseday morning we start mapping.

But If I’m not there, Mike Niven and Rox Teddy are most likely to be there.
Be there, you’ll be glad you did.

Now, Mike, another question. Just this evening I found out that even though the immobilizer works and the alarm does the familiar two blinks to engage and one to disengage, the alarm doesn’t sound!
I engaged the alarm and opened the door and although it recognized that the door was opened (fast flash) there was no sound!.

Now, where should I look for this?

Uldis

That would be cool, i’m only 5 miles from the track. The only thing is I dont yet have trackday insurance and I’ve never been on a track before but I’d like to meet some of the guys.

Now, Mike, another question. Just this evening I found out that even though the immobilizer works and the alarm does the familiar two blinks to engage and one to disengage, the alarm doesn’t sound!
I engaged the alarm and opened the door and although it recognized that the door was opened (fast flash) there was no sound!.

Now, where should I look for this?

Uldis

Uldis

Are you sure the Lotus ECU hasn’t some kind of connection to the META alarm? but you looked into that right? and its not the problem?

Has the alarm-box you took off the lotus ECU been bolted back onto your emerald? does it get an earth thru’ the casing? if so is it still getting this earth in its new home?

Have you blown any fuses by accident?

Have you checked mechanical security and good connection of ALL wiring that you have been working with?

Its not something simple like youve disturbed the wiring on the Meta control module which sends volts to the siren?

Your description reads like the immobiliser wrks (the important part cause no-one responds to car alarm sirens anyway) and the alarm engages properly (ie the led/indicators flash properly both when armed and also when in alarm) this suggests to me that the Meta unit is working okay and its something to do with the ‘send’ to the siren itself. Can you identify which wires these are? can you put a multimeter on them and see if you get a change in state when the alarm has been triggered (if yes then maybe you have a duff siren).

I’m all out of any other ideas… bit of a bummer but i hope you get it sorted… most likely to be something very simple.

Yes, I followed your train of thoughts.
All ok, same place, same wiring, no grounding (plastic box, does with wires),
I will check again all the fuses, but didn’t tamper with them.
Maybe knocked one off its place when installing? (damn! have to take the whole thing off again!) there’s one wee purple fuse that I was wondering what it was, you can see it on the pic below the ECU, could that be the siren fuse?

The box on top of the ECU is the proximity sensor. I placed it in the same position.
The actual Meta alarm is far away, behind the driver’s seat and no, I didn’t get that far with the wires.

I’'ll see tomorrow.

BTW Mike, you’ll take car of our firnd Rooney (above) this Sunday at KH, right? Show him the fast line around KH

Cheers,

Uldis

Nice one lads! You’ll recognise me in the black exige, short arse and stone chips!!

… how did you get stone chips in your arse?
Nevermind, see you there.

Uldis