Name the bits...

Guys,

documented the swap here
Took the pictures of the job only for you

Overall it took me about 6 hrs to do (with no previous knowledge) but still need to re-open to see why the siren is not working.

The very lean spot I had between 3000-5000 rpm is gone nad there are lots of goodies in the Emerald, like for ex. having an RPM/speed telltale (max readings), a direct output for a shiftlight (which I’m going to wire to the seatbelt dasboard LED) and lots of different controls! (have to learn them all)

Uldis

After seeing that the siren was not at fault, since it made a short beep when engaging it with the engine cover open, I kept on engaging and checking it everythime I parked and suddenly it started working!

So, nothing wrong, alarm works. Just needed time, like in a post-surgery waiting room?

Now, have to do something about those backfires, it’s throwing flames on deceleration even on the street!

Uldis

Uldis

Don’t forget the fuses in the front compartment… Even tho’ you were no-where near them, It’s easy to blow a littlefuse if you accidently shorted a 12v line to ground during your activities.

If that doesn’t come-up-trumps, I’d still want to get a multimeter onto the ‘siren-send’ from the Meta control unit to see if its sending volts to the siren. (Don’t ask me what wires it would be… Anyone out there know?? Phil ?? AndyD ?? Simon(S) ?? the Edwards gurus?)

Also… what about our “J” connector in your pic? What’s it for ??

Rooney… how’d you get stone chips on yer bum?

But Rox, maybe to look for a possible false contact, but remember, IT IS F*CKIN LOUD in there when the alarm goes off.
And it’s working now.

I’ll study the diagram in the book to see what could have been the cause…

Are you sure it was working before you started?

The noize makin bit might have been lazy from long periods of inactivity… much like meesell Anyway glad its out of the way… must check my own now !!

Uldis

Having had a swatch at yer piccies… Aren’t all the old ECU wires used in the Emerald ECU ?? (do I see them tucked up neatly at the bottom?) why is that and what ones are left?

Also… looks to me like you save some weight as well…

And… How does the ‘proximity detector’ attach to the Emerald casing? and does the Emerald screw into a few new holes on the rear bulkhead… or have you used yer old favourite velcro ??

cheers

Uldis

You’re a star - hope you celebrated with a Tequilla or two

Velcro rules!

Now, your questions:

-not all the ECU wires are used on the Emerald. Some of them are the ones for the OBD plug (could take them away really, together with the plug), some of them are documented but not used and some of them I don’t know what they are.
I just lef them still attached to the plug tucked away just in cxase I ever wanted to go back to the Lotus one. It would be a straight case of cutting the other plug away and reattaching the wires according to the diagram (and I also left 1 cm of wire at the plug, to be sure about the color, just in case)

-not that anybody cares, but the Emerald weighs about 1/5th of the weight of the Lotus ECU, which is about 1 Kg, so, that’s anly a few grams there. Better to take a dump before a track session

-the motion detector was attached with dual sided (very) sticky tape. Since I didn’t have any more, I used normal adhesive white Velcro, two strips top and bottom to the body of the Emerald. Firm and can be taken off. Also remember that the cover is pressing on these with a layer of foam, so they can’t really fall. Note that it’s on the same original position, so no change in sensitivity.

-the Lotus ECU was screwed to the fiberglass, but with some brass nuts behind. I didn’t want to make new holes because I had no access to the back of the fiberglass, and wouldn’t be able to secure well only on the fiberglass. Beside, didn’t want to drill without knowing what’s behind.
I used heavy duty Velro instead. Took it off to see how strong it was and let me tell you: it’s f*cking strong!, it won’t come off.

Note that all the previous hole were covered as well.

I talked to the guy at Emerald, he loged on, sawthe pictures and was very impressed. He said that it was a very neat installation (ahem!)

Uldis

Just read this … did you disconnect battery ? - I had exact same problem - no sound from alarm - after I had done something ( cant remember what ! ) and had the battery disconnected - just armed and disarmed like you and it sprung into life - so TADS I guess …