My Exige S - weight saving project

is due first week in March …

and I am researching the best options for optimising its performance.

Putting aside the usual jokes about S2 weight on here I am speaking to Lotus Motorsport this week about adding the front section of the cage to my order so that will add more weight. With this in mind I thought I’d do some research into the options to reduce weight without stripping the car.

I am new to Lotus and am reading through the various suppliers, forums etc. about different options and so far I am considering…

EXHAUST
Is it generally excepted that the std. Exige S exhaust can be improved upon? I am looking for weight reduction and performance gains. I would prefer not to increase the noise levels too much as I don’t want to have problems at trackdays.

WHEELS
The std. wheels are marketed as light weight, but I don’t have any data on these so can’t judge against the aftermarket wheels available. Does anyone have any suggestions on lighter than std. wheels?

BODYWORK
I am going to change the rear spoiler and intake pods for carbon fibre replacements.

I also plan to replace the roof insert for a carbon fibre version. I haven’t found one available yet. Does anyone know of a source?

If I can’t source one I will get one made up. Does anyone know if I would be able to purchase an additional insert with the full roof scoop to send to my manufacturer as a template for a CF version.

I plan to upgrade the brakes later in the year. What is the weight differences in the std. brake system vs. the AP setup, positive or negative weight ‘gains’?

Are there any other suggestions?

Damon

congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the fold. I was going to question the cage especially as you brought up the weight issue - do you know exactly how much it will add? - but then if I was in your shoes I’d probably want it also if only for more of that “racecar” feel.

All your answers and more can be gained from previous postings on here, I’d recommend settling down with a good supply of beer over the next week or so and going through many of the postings in the S2 section, you’ll then get a more balenced view of the pros and cons of most “upgrades”. I don’t wish to sound negative but i don’t think there’s a short cut to this.

I just dont see the point in a cage unless you are racing.

why do you want this ?

Don’t worry about the weight it’s the power you’ll need to work on…

I think what I need to do is gather the weights of the standard items and consider the weight of each item vs. the gains/cost.

So I will research the weight of the std. items and see what I can develop as a weight saving plan.

So the std. items I will gather weights for and develop a package of aftermarket parts that can form a decent weight saving.

My objective is to reduce weight to improve the bhp/tonne ratio. I will remap the car to up the performance of the engine and take advantage of the overall weight reduction.

One of the other objectives is to keep the car ‘useable’. Its not a race car and as such it will keep its aircon, radio, heater etc.

So far the candidates for are…

Wheels
Exhaust
Seats
Roof panel
Brake System
Rear spoiler
Front spoiler
Undertray

The weight to add to std. car will be

Front cage
Me

I am going to be adding a suspension kit. I haven’t been able to find any data on the weight of the std. Exige S suspension. Does anyone have any? I will need this to determine if this a positive weight and positive performance gain or a negative weight ‘gain’ balanced by the positive performance gain.

This is going to be and interesting project I believe

If I were you, I’d cancel your order, & do some proper research before re-ordering, otherwise you’ll be needlessly tossing money away, which would be better spent on driving the thing on trackdays.

Sounds like you’d be best starting with a Cup 255, do 10-15 trackdays in that, then think about upgrades. Surprisingly enough, Lotus are quite good at producing very capable track cars, & the Cup 255 is one of the best

Lotus are quite good at producing very capable tyrack cars, & the Cup 255 is one of the best

are you freelancing for the factory now

I just dont see the point in a cage unless you are racing.

why do you want this ?

read my post again…" [color:“red”] I’d probably want it also if only for more of that “racecar” feel." [/color]

If I were you, I’d cancel your order, & do some proper research before re-ordering, otherwise you’ll be needlessly tossing money away, which would be better spent on driving the thing on trackdays.

Sounds like you’d be best starting with a Cup 255, do 10-15 trackdays in that, then think about upgrades. Surprisingly enough, Lotus are quite good at producing very capable tyrack cars, & the Cup 255 is one of the best

I think there is a lot of sense in that. When I sat in the one at Autosport I began to understand the positives of it.

Once I’ve had this one for a while and got what I need from it I may well change over to a Cup.

I am still going to do the research and select some of the potentially better changes. It will be a good way for me to get more familiar with the Lotus market.

Mate, whilst I understand your reasons for doing this, if you do what you are suggesting above it’s going to cost you a FORTUNE.

It would have been far better and cheaper to have bought Gav’s racecar and add a charger/map on it.

Don’t worry about the weight it’s the power you’ll need to work on…

What’s that quote about adding power = straight line performance, reducing weight = performance everywhere ?

I know what you mean Dave, the more research the bigger the cost is getting

I was quoted �47k for the Cup 255 at Autosport. Thats a staggering �10k more than the Exige S, but when you look into the costs of modding an Exige S the difference in costs is marginal and you don’t get some of the benefits that are standard on the Cup.

Common sense will prevail I think and it will get a mild modding. Remap, exhaust, wheels and brakes.

But the research will be interesting and hopefully provide some interesting options to S2 owners.

Wow…crazy money.

I’m not trying to be all negative matey, just really don’t want to see you flush a load of money down the pan.

I think you could have achieved what you are trying to by buying a second hand car (either Exige or Exige S) and then doing the mods on top.

To me, Gavs car would have been a perfect basis (has everything else already done to it and has been as light as it reasonably could be in its lifetime when it was entered into mid-engined series).

His car for 25k or whatever it is… plus a charger (even a lotus kit!) = job done (and probably better than a cup)

Lotus are quite good at producing very capable track cars, & the Cup 255 is one of the best

are you freelancing for the factory now

Nah - great car, but crazy dosh Statement made in the context of Damon’s quest

it does seem a mad project which will help no others as we all know what can be done :slight_smile:

buy a 2nd hand cup for �30k or a new Cup 255 is my best advice.

but to buy a brand new S and throw 10k at it is just plain daft imho as you stand to lose 20k after 2 years of ownership.

then spending all the cash on a heavy cage when you dont race is mad and will render the car hard to sell 2nd hand also and will push the S over a ton in weight.

then spending all the cash on a heavy cage when you dont race is mad and will render the car hard to sell 2nd hand also and will push the S over a ton in weight.

…waits for pesky’s view on this…

Haha…wouldn’t be surprised if the cage Pesky has fitted is lighter than the standard roll hoop though ?!

Haha…wouldn’t be surprised if the cage Pesky has fitted is lighter than the standard roll hoop though ?!

I hadn’t realised…yeah right

Well the front cage is off the agenda now.

Lotus Motorsport came back with a quote and it was expensive IMO, although they did say it would take 26 hours of labour.

So far I have decided on…

Exhaust
Lotus parts inform me the std unit is 14kg. A Quicksilver Titanium/SS system comes in at 5.4kg saving 8.6kg.

Talking to Jim at 2bular about weights on his products.

Cost approx �750 for full system.

Battery
Std. battery is 12kg.

A Red Top battery is 5kg, saving 7kg.

Cost approx �100.

Summary
�850 for 15.6kg = �54.49 per kg saving

Don’t forget the smaller the exhaust the louder and the less tracks you can get on
There is a lot to be saved in the manifold but add a bix box to compensate.