More Intercooler testing 2!

Is there any benefit is connecting the original roof scoop into the back of the 2-11 shroud - the internal side baffles should sort out the airflow.

I thought about that and I guess there may be some benefit. The roof scoop isnt an easy shape to mimic though, so wouldn’t be an easy thing to do neatly. Plus it would mess with the internal baffle plates, plus and most importantly, with the roof off, you dont have a scoop!! :slight_smile:

My showertime thoughts this morning were:

If the pressure created by the side scoop air is actually greater than the roof scoop air input, then side scoop air would not only be forced through the I/C but also retrovertedly back through the roof scoop.

Secondly, how important to the process is the actual collection surface area in the side scoops. You found that the 4" cooled better than the 3", but would 3" ( or indeed 2.5" as i have ) be equally as good if the collection scoop on it’s entrance was the same open area as the 4"? (After all gases compress and just increase their pressure)

Then I had to come to work- suitably cleaned you will be relieved to hear

Good thoughts and to be honest, I have no clue.

[quote=661]My showertime thoughts this morning were:

If the pressure created by the side scoop air is actually greater than the roof scoop air input, then side scoop air would not only be forced through the I/C but also retrovertedly back through the roof scoop.

Secondly, how important to the process is the actual collection surface area in the side scoops. You found that the 4" cooled better than the 3", but would 3" ( or indeed 2.5" as i have ) be equally as good if the collection scoop on it’s entrance was the same open area as the 4"? (After all gases compress and just increase their pressure)

Then I had to come to work- suitably cleaned you will be relieved to hear[/quote]

All sounds logical to me

Hi,

Just another question re you car SeanB - have you removed all the rear panel etc. behind the number plate? This is the only thing I have done to my car to aid cooling and have found (purely on a feel basis) that it aids or I should say helps keep the heat soke issue at bay, ergo helps the intercooler. I too am not keen on adding a chargecooler and so very interested in all this testing…

cheers

G.

Item 4 only �112 on here B&C quoted me �135

I recon the B&C prices includes VAT?

Any reason why you couldn’t use pikey aluminium flexi ducting which is as cheap as chips for these?

[quote=gizmo75]Hi,

Just another question re you car SeanB - have you removed all the rear panel etc. behind the number plate? This is the only thing I have done to my car to aid cooling and have found (purely on a feel basis) that it aids or I should say helps keep the heat soke issue at bay, ergo helps the intercooler. I too am not keen on adding a chargecooler and so very interested in all this testing…

cheers

G. [/quote]

No I have not removed anything from behind the number plate. Exhaust wise, my car is completely standard and has all of the standard heat shielding etc still in place.

I guess not, any 4" ducting will do the job.

I’ve just had a quick look on ebay and all the black ducting on there seems to be in one metre lengths. It would be close, but you’re just not going to do it with one metre each side unfortunately.

It may be worth getting in touch with the seller and see if he could do a 1.25 metre length as he is probably just cutting it up from a big roll.

DOH!!!

My only worry being a gjob is how good this would actually look… Using pokey ducting would look shit and resonate like a good un

It usually shakes itself apart when attached to anything that vibrates. And its a good conductor of electricity when it starts falling onto stuff.

Bigger collector= faster flow through the pipes for sure …

Came across this picture of a Hartung Sparta with an idea for getting more air across the intercooler:

not sure what the benefits of fitting it here rather than at the other end of the hose are - maybe just a space issue and fan itself will run cooler.

If it is not doing anything else, what about using the roof scoop for the induction?

I have played with that idea and plan to do a better job of it over the summer, I am going to block off the back of the plastic section and drill a large hole in the side of it and bond in some ally pipework to feed the air filter. Not sure how well it will work but I like the idea for cutting induction noise for trackside mics

I have played with that idea and plan to do a better job of it over the summer, I am going to block off the back of the plastic section and drill a large hole in the side of it and bond in some ally pipework to feed the air filter. Not sure how well it will work but I like the idea for cutting induction noise for trackside mics [/quote]

My worry about the roof scoop is the actual intake temperature, One day I will get around to going for a blast with my thermocouple in there.
If you have ever sat in a 211 on track you will know what I mean, the heat from the rad is unreal and that must go straight up the windscreen and through that scoop.