Magnesium Speedlines (again !)

I love them !!

I bought them !!

Gavan’s heat issues were, I understood, connected with using different hubs, in that at one time he had F1 style single central wheel nut thingies (what the hell are they really called??) - This snippet came from Kevin - one of the Lotus mechanics, during a chat I had with him at Silverstone last year…

After the problems they changed back to the four stud hubs and the problem stopped…

After the problems they changed back to the four stud hubs and the problem stopped…

Plus they changed back to the Rimstocks, not the Speedlines they used during the previous year in the Lotus Sports Car Series (now the Mid Engined Series).

Chick’n’egg peskers…

Ok, I’m being over sensitive.

Now I think I’d better fit multiple locking wheel nuts for Croft!

Ian

But… any idea why would a Speedline not dissipate heat as well as the Rimstock?

I think it is the configuration of the spokes Uldis.

Well, yes, it’s got to be that, as I believe magnesiuom conducts heat as well as aluminum.

But I find it difficult to see the (slightly decreased) surface area not making a good job on dissipating the heat.

Maybe there were other issues as well.

We have ran mag Speedlines on slicks for probably around 4000 track miles and have had to change only 2 wheel bearings the car has done a total of 18000 miles and a total of around 9000 of those miles on track. The previous 5000 track miles were done on std wheels and A-039’s and a-048’s. Lets see how long thay last with the Honda power.

Steve.

I Got a call from David at speedline yesterday saying they are now in stock.
Not sure wether to order some or hang it out for randy/scuffham wheel deal, hows it looking randy?

Hi,

what size tires you recomend for the Speedlines and witch brand you think is best. I am thinking to buy the Yoko A048 or Bridgestone RE540.

Regards
Fabian

They’re the same size as the standard Rimstocks, so yes, 48s.

Ian