Lotus Sumbeam

Not much happening in this Forum so I thought I would post this. I have a lotus sunbeam which I have had since 18. Unfortunatly most of it has turned to rust (big benfefit of fibergalss lotus) so the time came to get it all sorted.

This is where I am up to now. The body will go to SPL to be dipped in the next few weeks.

it does seem quiet on here lately, I know all about that level of renevation, just going throught the process of restoring my Mum’s 1962 Austin Seven (read Mini) she bought it new and had been off the road stripped down since the early 1980s. I should post some pictures if I get the time.

Great another build thread :sunglasses:

You must have some more pictures from it’s heyday, through to it’s state prior to rebuild to give us some context…

I recall some video of a mental Sunbeam in a race around Cadwell chasing down Steve (Kinetic).

Cool Man, love Sunbeams.

Yeah Ben a Black and Orange one, with Mahoooosive slicks on it. Awesome

Here it is…since you’re rebuilding it, you could turn it one like this. Circa 300bhp and 800kg…nice :sunglasses: Built by the catchily named Seaman Motorsports best known for their work on the Coventry Climax :wink:

Here’s the video around Cadwell I was talking about - clicky

Agreed - please keep this thread “alive”, & good luck with the task in hand :sunglasses:

I have had the car over 20 years now and it has done over 100,000 miles. I rebuilt it about 15 years ago and it looked fine form the out side, however as you will see all is not well with the main body. Any way I completely stripepd the car down to the shell and off the body shop she went.

Most of the bodywork needed major help, the list included:

New front inner wings - Drivers and passenger
New rear inner wings - Drivers and passenger
New inner sills
New front floor pans
New front chassis legs
New front cross beam
New outer bulkhead panels
Front wings needed 50% cutting out and replacing
Rear chassis legs and suspension points remade
Filler neck remade
New cant rails
Lower A post repairs
This list goes on and on and on (as does the bill :cry: )

Fortunately we have a great club parts facility and in Argentina they still make the Talbot Avenger so a lot of panels are still available.

Body took about 6 months on and off but now it is back to spot on with every repair to the original panel shape.

Next step is to check the engine over:

This is good :sunglasses:

Cool man. Did you get the shell treated so that it wouldn’t rust again, before having it painted?

Just getting ready to go to SPL who will chemicly clean it and then dip it for an electrocoating before it goes of to be resprayed. The whole process is quite expensive at �1800 but compared to doing all this again in another 15 years I think it will be worth while.

cool man

Great cars … loved mine FTY 969W… :smiley:

Picked up the shell form SPL and took back to the painters today:

Have also been working on the engine

Keep up the good work matey!!

Shell is now being painted

While I was in there I happened across a S1 Exige Body Shell being worked on. Anyone here?

While the engine was out I thought I would look at the bearings, they were fine but for some reason I decided to put a new set in. The 900 Lotus engine is becoming very difficult to find parts for. Very strange as the previous Ford/Lotus twin cam is not an issue.

Yep, rust like you would not believe!!!