K- Series HGF

Did anyone see watchdog earlier about H.G.F on K- series engines?. How many people have had trouble before, is there a different “stronger” gasket to replace the standard rover one?.

Yep, saw it, had a HGF on my Elise. There are various different uprated head gaskets around, there is the Mike Satur one you can get through Dave Andrews, not sure about the ones the Motorsport cars used to have but it cost around �200. There are others, but I don’t remember the names. I haven’t heard of too many HGFs in Exiges - it was more a problem in the earlier Elises.

Cheers

Actually I’d like a straw poll on this…

Who knows of any exiges that have had straight forward HGF ?? maybe we’ve mostly not done enough miles but I haven’t heard of anyone so far… firmly gripping this wooden table that i’m sitting at…

Well, I’d like to be the first to put his hand up. My car let me down with HGF halfway back through France when I went on holiday a few months ago.

IPJ had his go just before Christmas (he’s sold it now, do a search for more info)

Is that all so far ??.. come own up there must be more than that?? …

Pesky… you must know of some… ehh…

Well, I’d like to be the first to put his hand up. My car let me down with HGF halfway back through France when I went on holiday a few months ago.

Brendan

What did you do to get back home ??

Pesky… you must know of some… ehh…

Dad is on holiday in France at the moment, trying to get some heat into his creaking old bones. I do not recall any other Exige HGF’s, so it is not a bad hit rate really, eh?

We didnt have a total HGF but a small leak of oil was spotted coming from the head gasket about 2 inches in length. so as a matter of preventative maintanance we changed the gasket and cleaned up the head ports while we were in there. All done over last winter after about 7,000 miles (4,000 on track). “Fingers crossed” but we have had no problems since .

Steve

Brendan

What did you do to get back home ??

No problem. I had AA European 5 star cover. I was in a hire car within 2 hours. It took them something like 10 days to get the car delivered back to blighty. Not a bad service at all

Dad is on holiday in France at the moment, trying to get some heat into his creaking old bones.

Well I’m back now - about from the aforementioned, I’m not aware of any other HGFs.

On Weds, went to Monaco - a few decent cars were to be seen, but the black Enzo pootling past the Mirabeau restaurant was the best - just

Good news and a cunning plan Brendan… must remember to subscribe if i ever go foriegn…

… must remember to subscribe if i ever go foriegn…

December 12th???

Pesky

does the 5-star cover give access to snow ploughs??..

Actually I very much hope that my current plan 200 (or whatever its called) cover will be adequate for any unspeakables on 12th… why do you ask??

… why do you ask??

As soon as you Jocks reach Hadrian’s Wall (figuratively speaking) you’re in a foreign land, aren’t you?

Snow ploughs - FFS, the UK’s entire stock is on the north side of above mentioned wall isn’t it?

Incidentally, went to Oulton today to meet up with Mike Lane & Steve Green, who were out on track. Made a mental note never to drive there in October (& possibly November), just too many leaves on a very wet track - potential for disaster, as at least 4 cars (Civic TypeR, Noble, Alfa & BMW) found out!!! However, December will be okay - well all the leaves will have gone by then

… why do you ask??

As soon as you Jocks reach Hadrian’s Wall (figuratively speaking) you’re in a foreign land, aren’t you?

Well… we sometimes come down to see if you lot need handers with any Romans or Frenchmen etc…

As for the slippin around on leaves at Oulton… did anyone have a serious off??

There was a very seriously major crash involving a full on professionally prepared race BMW coming over deer leap, losing it, demolishing a safety barrier, leaving the ground to head height, and leaving bits of itself over a very wide radius -

Happened mid afternoon Pesky, SteveG and self all saw it.

Would have taken at least two hours to clean up, so they had no choice but to close the circuit…

BEST NEWS - no-one hurt

Thats made my mind up for November the 15th then

Last time I was at Oulton a TVR did the same thing - was that not November as well Pesky ?

Yes I think it was November - not a good day - delayed start due to thick fog - torrential rain - then the TVR stacking it

Was glad to get back to the southern temperate climate !

…Made a mental note never to drive there in October (& possibly November)…December will be okay - well all the leaves will have gone by then

Just the snow to worry about then!!!

I remember watching (on TV) the GTs in the (biblical quantities of) rain there last year and they were all over the place coming down to the hairpin on the full circuit.

Ian