K series ENGINE WEIGHT?

Does anyone know the exact weight of a fully dressed 1.8 K series engine normally asperated in std form ?

Because I care about the accuracy of information given to users of this community, I have just taken to effort to weigh a bog standard complete 1.8K from a 1997 Elise. All fluids have been drained and it includes the exhaust manifold to collector only.

The answer is 144kg… See pics.

[image]http://www.kirrapak.com/elise/kscale2.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.kirrapak.com/elise/kscale1.jpg[/image]

QED! Top man! And that’s not intended to be ironic.

Really…

Why do you turn all these threads into a Honda bashing bullshit exercise?? The question was asked and I happend to have an engine in my workshop so I weighed it for the guy. Leave it at that or the moderators will delete this thread and this useful information will be lost like the other one.

No. Because your weights on the Honda are wrong and I proved this before so it was deleted!!!

Nothing I have said on here is untrue. The fact that I sell Honda conversions in Australia doesn’t make me a K-basher…I have a QED K in my 340R. Ask people who know me down here if I am a K basher. I don’t even push the Honda…some people want it so I am servicing the demand.

What is your problem???

I hope it helps:
My VVC engine with alternator but no inlet and exhaust manifolds weighs 95 kg on my scales. On the same scales, my VHPD weight is 71kg (but no alternator on it).
Both with the clutch attached.

George

Engine weight is irrelevant if you are comparing conversions. Surely it the car weight that is most important. We dont use the original Elise mounts, exhaust, plumbing or induction. All this is included in the conversion and goes towards the weight of the CAR.

Please enlighten me as to what you have heard about me…I need a laugh.

Muppetry…

Dave

I have to say Dave - A big THANKS for not only weighing the engine/box combo but also providing picks. I am very impressed and you have answered my question. (you don’t happen to have a KV6 knocking arround to compare weight do you !! A bit of a long shot i know )

My reason for asking the question in the first place was not to start a Honda vs K Series war - far from it. I was interested to see how much heavier the KV6 is than the K series engine !!!

If you have a PG1 box knocking around would be interested in that weight also ??

Sorry pegbox, no KV6 here. If I have time later I will pull the box off and weigh it.

I hope it helps:
My VVC engine with alternator but no inlet and exhaust manifolds weighs 95 kg on my scales. On the same scales, my VHPD weight is 71kg (but no alternator on it).
Both with the clutch attached.

George

Is this with all the TB’s and exhaust manifold attached?
If you take into account the 5.5 Kg alternator it would mean that there is a huge variation between K’s alone.
VHPD would be 21.5 Kg lighter than a VVC.

What about comparing a VHPD then agaist a VVC or std 120 BHp K?

It would mean a great deal more weight to take into consideration, depending on which engine you start from, if you start with a heavier K then heavier Honda wouldn’t really feel that different.
(but if you start from a lighter K then…)

O.k maybe this info is irrelevant to the orginal question but it is a question that has been asked many times and a lot of misleading info provided.

King K is right in saying there is a ‘good’ 40 kg difference in the weight of a k series engined cars versus the same, Honda converted car.

My car is exactly 60kg heavier than before it had a Honda + S/C conversion, using the same scales.

Are you sure that nothing else was changed on your car?? mine was nowhere near 60kg heavier in the same trim.

O.k maybe this info is irrelevant to the orginal question but it is a question that has been asked many times and a lot of misleading info provided.

King K is right in saying there is a ‘good’ 40 kg difference in the weight of a k series engined cars versus the same, Honda converted car.

My car is exactly 60kg heavier than before it had a Honda + S/C conversion, using the same scales.

Excellent, you’re the first Honda customer to have checked precisely which was the weight difference (or at least posted honestly about it).

At least (and fair play to Bernard) Audi customers have always said: yeah, it’s heavier, but it’s fooking powerful!