Jonny's S1 Exige Thread. Again!

Hi again :wave:

I guess under the circumstances the best I can do is build a photo thread up to where I currently am. There was no way to replace the images in the original thread so I deleted it.

Up yours Photobucket :exclamation: :thumbdown:

The battery tray was a bloody nightmare to get out, most of the front fixings had to be ground off. I’ve also made a start removing the AC. The Aluminium and the crash structure took around 10-12 hours to clean. It was a never ending job but it’s amazing what toothpaste, soap, brake & clutch cleaner, a Dremmel, magic sponge, lots of rags & a brush will do…

I’ll keep uploading the pictures from time to time, there’s only 900 or so :astonished: :frowning:

:clap: beautiful work!

Great stuff!

So a bit of a tidy up. Steering rack back from Titan. I’d forgotten to paint the steering arms upon install so remedied that with some POR prep and 2 coats of POR15 black. Same with the ARB.

Wishbones shot blast and back Zinc coated. Gave them two coats of POR 15 clear. Should get them on tomorrow and the master cylinders changed…

The next two weeks should see the back of this work properly broken.

Busy day today, satisfying though…

Spent the morning ordering a few parts and changing over the brake and clutch cylinders. Getting to the bolts on the inside wasn’t much fun at all, especially the far left for the clutch. I think I may have actually experienced my first attack of claustrophobia! Fairly straightforward as John says although I haven’t checked the peddle preloads or bled the system yet. A little bit of corrosion in between that was easily removed with the POR stuff. Refitted the lines and fitted the braided hoses. Will fit the discs and callipers when the rest of the bits arrive next week. May get the rad on later. Will however remove the engine next week now the stand and lift have arrived.

No more rust!

Jonny I have no idea how you could get an invite to the pebble beach concours, but your car would be a worthy entry, and a well deserved winner IMHO.

Lol thanks Tim, it’s getting there, slowly obviously :smiley:

I’ll try and post more images everyday, one day I may actually catch up to where I am.

Great that you’re putting this back on here Jonny, nice one! - it’s very inspiring to me anyway, right at the start of my strip-down & rebuild.

So made a start removing the engine with my mate Dave. Engine out (after a call to John Shorrocks)…. I can’t recall the 2ZZ-GE being such a wiggle when he took it out the S2. So following his advice pushed the gearbox hard towards the bulkhead the right side engine mount clearing the strut and the gearbox with a bit of a jiggle cleared the sub-frame and out it came. The service notes were quite good. Rear sub-frame off, let the long arduous clean up commence.

And now available as a musical

So fuel tank out. Some more cleaning up, shot blasting, Zinc and POR 15 coating…