Inspiration Needed

Family Mondeo needs replaced. 2006 ST TDCi. It’s. Been a good workhorse but after 23 hours driving for a round trip to Edinburgh last weekend, snow and idiots related rather than car, decided news the time to change.

Problem is, and I know it’s a nice problem to have, not sure what to replace it with.

Had previously thought about Jag XF but now not so sure and they’ll be replacing it early next year. 3L V6 275bhp Diesel on some nice 20" wheels :slight_smile:. Probably not a bad tow car either.
Like the look of the XE but probably not enough room for all the family stuff and would be June earliest.
Discovery Sport looks nice but the new engines don’t come along till the middle of the year.
Would have a Volvo XC60 if my brother and Dad didn’t already have one.

What say you all, let’s hear your ideas and help Ben out with more discussion.

Cheers
Will

so the 3.0 twin turbo diesel in the BMWs is excellent, and they do a xDrive version of all the non SUV cars too, 435d Gran Coupe (it’s not actually a coupe, has 4 doors but hatch like an Audi A5 is to an A4)

Otherwise, and if you want a lugger with loads of space. Merc E-Class E350 V6 diesel is a nice car, although BMW engine has it licked.

Jag is a good shout though

I had better whisper this Volvo XC60 there I have admitted it!!! :blush:

Dont laugh :laughing: …I had it for towing racer and all the bits and it was superb…Nice 5 cyl engine roars…well purrs. nicely and it pulls very well and when needed can be pretty reasonable in the traffic light GP. 37 MPG as well
Plus its far more comfortable than all the Discoveries and BMW X3s I have owned.
But Will, your family are already fans I guess.
To all you Volvo Naysayers out there, its worth a look :sunglasses:
It might not have sufficient Street Cred for you young guns though. :confused:

Now I know you will never take me seriously again…nothing new there then. :laughing:

seen this new T8 engine? 400hp hybrid with a 2.0 petrol!

Some ridiculously good lease deals on the XC60 just now. Maybe if I went for a wildly different colour.

They do a good blue :wink:

I run a 3.0D XF Sportbrake as my daily motor - an excellent car and fitting a towbar in the next couple of weeks. The handling and ride is in my opinion in a different league to the alternatives :slight_smile:

My mate Tap (who some of you know) runs a Lexus GS450H hybrid thing which he really rates.

I saw a Maserati Ghibli on the road and thought it quite a handsome car - they do a diesel too.

I also saw a Porsche Macan which I wanted to hate but thought was pretty well resolved. You’d probably have to wait a loooong time for one of them though.

However, if you want something that’s reasonably quick, good dynamics and can swallow all of your family gear, its boring. its predictable but…yup 535 would be hard to beat.

My old man has had the 2015 Ghibli S for a few months now and loves it , a petrol one though , it’s quick , loads of room with a big boot , looks classy and the B&W system in it is amazing , oh and the sound that V6 makes , really really want one !

Can’t beat B&W sounds for sure :wink:

Looking to replace a Mondeo, considering a Volvo and now you’ve got me thinking about whether a Maserati might fit the bill.
Liking where this is going :slight_smile: Really need to decide on whether or not to go for a mid size SUV. Need to try and get a go in the Discovery Sport.

Let me help you with that; don’t buy an SUV buy a Maserati.

Handsome car.

Audi Q5 / SQ5 ?

are the soft-roaders any good?

I’d have thought the if the budget allows Discos and RRS then you’d be better off there.

I had a full fat Rangey for a while, and whilst it was THE best wafting mobile I’ve ever had, I didn’t like the idea of running it out of warranty so it didn’t last long in our household (much to the my wifes annoyance - it’s the one ‘car’ I’ve had that she really liked).

Shortly before I got rid of it, the dashboard started lighting up with errors like a christmas tree - turns out the alternator was dying… it had also had a rear screen replaced (aerial faulty) and a couple of other bits… I bought it thinking that the reliability issues with Landrovers had all been fixed, but wouldn’t jump into another one without a full warranty.

Hence being back in an Audi… having run them (and BMW’s) for years, the reliability has been very very good… been close to buying a Merc too, but never really considered a Jag…I guess they were always ‘old’ man cars… (although I’m getting that way now!) :smiley:

Must add I haven’t driven a Q5/SQ5, but threw it in as an option as I’m not sure Will needs a proper off roader by the sounds of it… probably just space!

My sister and her husband are farmers and so need a proper off-roader and have a full-fat Rangey. Aside from me ribbing her about thinking that she is Jordan :laughing: she has had loads of problems with it and not much fun with the dealer,…she hates it.

I just can’t get on with the brakes on the VAG cars, they have a exaggerated initial bite that I find takes conscious effort to drive around then if you give them a good shove they desolve into mush. Tried a S4 (V6T one) and liked the engine and the looks, but felt the chassis was setup to project a (faux?) feeling of stability, so turn in you had the wrestle it and the self centring action was artificially strong. Mum’s got a Mk6 GTI and that has the same brake profile, steering is better but has so much scuttle shake over bumps.

E90 3 series I had was a cracking drive, chassis was happy to be thrown about but also steady enough to be piloted at 150mph. Would have jumped to a later M3 saloon, but engine felt torqueless compared to both the 335i and the other option. Would definitely have another BM, say a F30 335i touring.

Mercs I thought were for old people, and only came in that boring silver. Have to say the interiors are very good, and later cars have addressed the wobbly chassis. Steering on mine is great (‘Black’ front axle on it), damping excellent, but rear axle is a little unrefined but maybe that’s the lack of LSD in mine.

Maserati Ghibli cars for sale | PistonHeads UK , some good used buys , i think the 2015 cars had steering and gearbox updates though.