I'm a lucky boy (again!)

As much as I rate Top Gear for being “must watch entertainment”, I do often wonder about their “car judgement”.

For example, I have today had the pleasure of driving the Russmeister’s new gadget - the AM V8 Vantage. We went to Stratstone Birmingham this morning (thanks RobS ) to collect the top spec dark blue metallic car, which is the latest addition to Russ’s stable.

We left the showroom at 11.45am & let the SatNav guide us to Chez 83man, situate in Kineton - approx. 3 miles from AM’s new factory!! This part of the journey took in some stop/start driving for 5 miles or so out of Brum, then 15 miles down the M42/40, followed by 5 miles down country roads. This car is stunning, & in many ways is like a big, posh Exige - stiff but compliant suspension, sharp steering & brakes, plenty of grunt, & a glorious engine/induction noise at around 4000rpm. 83man & 83lady made us a brew, whilst we had an enjoyable chat about cars/Le Mans, then it was 83man’s turn to go for whiz. I think he liked too, although he said he was in no way at all jealous, but added that 83lady will now need to find a highly paid executive job to keep him in the manner to which he now aspires

We left Kineton, & headed back North up the Mway, before stopping to re-fuel at Stoke. Petrol in, Russ chucked me the keys for me to drive the remaining 50 miles to Chez Pesky.

In summary - as much as I love the Gaylardy, I’d much rather have the Aston. Can’t wait for it to be run-in, so it can stretch it’s legs in anger - & on track

Lucky bugger(s)…

Tim.

Congrats Russ - good choice. Look forward to seeing it in the metal…Must make for some tough calls some mornings when deciding which keys to pick up as you leave the house. A dilemma alas that I stuggle to relate to…

Fair play Russ!!!

Awesome car, lets see some pictures.

You should have stopped by my place, I’m only 5 miles outside of Birmingham city centre. Mind you it might have been up on bricks after 5 minutes. lol

Sean…

nice one…

mmm… maybe one day

[image]http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/jj.wijnstok/amv8-6-A.jpg[/image]

Nice, very nice!

Great choice Russ !!

“This car is stunning, & in many ways is like a big, posh Exige”

Really ?? I mean that good Rob ?

Andy

What I was trying to convey was that it’s a real sportscar, not a GT car. No doubt the Russmeister will take you for a spin, so you’ll know what I mean.

The car is just brilliant - the steering and damping are much better than the Lambo and I have got to say that if I had to choose, I would keep the Aston. It feels easier to get on with as well, it is going to be a great car to go to Le Mans in. It has the best exhaust note I have ever heard but cruises at eighty very quietly. And of course it is gorgeous from every angle - along with the S1 Exige, IMHO of course, I think it is one of the best designs around.

As for Top Gear, which is good entertainment, whilst I have never driven a modern 911 and would be pissed off if I found a BMW, if they all did not fall in love with this car from the minute they clapped eyes on it I reckon they need to take another look at themselves as automotive critics. It really is a “must own before I die” car.

So there.

You sly dog Russ

Can’t wait to see it in the flesh. Lovely machine.

I tried V8 back to back with 997… oh what a beautiful looking and sounding toy the V8 is…but then I squirted the 997 and for me that is FAR nearer the driving fun of the Exige.Far more chuckable far more involving.
What we really need is a V8 looking & sounding porka quality Lotus
Meanwhile I’ll stick with the Exige…

Andy

What I was trying to convey was that it’s a real sportscar, not a GT car. No doubt the Russmeister will take you for a spin, so you’ll know what I mean.

So long as Jude’s not around - she has a very soft spot for Astons … been on about a “cheap” DB7 for too long

Meanwhile I’ll stick with the Exige…

Me too (Not that I have any choice )

Would love a ride in a properly driven 997 - do you have one Mr Bean?

YUM YUM!

It’s always good to hear non-TV opinions on the latest and greatest cars.

I was dubious over Russ’s choice of the Gallardo until he took me out in his, and I was converted (from an engine/chassis point of view)

What made you go for the AMV8 over the DB9 which (on paper) would have been my choice ?

I look forward to another review once it’s run in and you’ve given it some death !

Looks an absolutely beauty!

More pics please.

What made you go for the AMV8 over the DB9 which (on paper) would have been my choice ?

Generally, I would always go for the more compact car in a manufacturers range, I just prefer them that way. I also happen to think that the Gallardo and V8 are better looking than their larger siblings. I love the look of the DB9, but cannot imagine hanging it out around Anglesey or Oulton, same with the Murci. They are also usually cheaper, so you can have more of them! Looks and image are high on my list of priorities, assuming they are basically a decent motor, that is why I would not be seen dead in a 911, irrespective of how good it is. The V8 does everything you want and more and, to my eyes looks gorgeous.

Ramble over.

Hi Russ

Trust you were well looked after by my old mates at Brum !
Enjoy your new toy.

Fancy a Europa ?..

Rob

V. Nice car, but you made no mention of crashing waves. Did you go via Blackpool?!