Honda conversion worries ?

So yet again you are speaking bullshit. No wonder nobody listens to you…

On the subject of who listens to who, I think people would listen more to calm and reasoned arguments, rather than offensive comments like that.

As Brendan says, Exiges.com is unlike most other BBSs in that thus far it’s been free from ego and chest beating (my own ego notwithstanding).

You’re a valued member Randy, we’d hate to lose that.

Seems like I�m being made out to be the bad guy here�

The point that I was making is that Simon has often given out poor information and that this can be dangerous if he is taken at face value. His misinformed reference to F1 operating temps is just another example of this.

It�s admirable how much effort he has put into defending the Rover K series and he obviously feels very proud of the family involvement he has with it. On top of this he has explained some basic engine building principles to people here and to some that has been very interesting. On the negative side he has constantly put down Honda and Audis which he, admittedly, has no experience with and also disregarded opinions of many known experts and engineers. I have been intentionally critical of him because it concerns me that some people might go to him with open wallets, expecting a miracle cure to the K-Series problems, and get badly burnt. Its not that I think his intentions are bad, its just that he has engulfed himself in all things �K� and isn�t seeing the bigger picture.

As an addition to the oil temp debate my reasoned argument is this - different engines have different requirements and run different ideal temps. If you want to know what these temps are then ask an acknowledged expert (ie: Dave Andrews for K-Series, Simon S for Hondas and Bernard for Audis). If an oil has an operating temp of up to 145degrees then you can run it at these high temps so long as the materials and the tolerances in the particular engine can stand it, and many can.

Anyway, I�ll stay out of it from now on.

NB: My friend no longer works at BMW, he is now heads up the engineering team at Nicholson McLaren who build my Nissan engines. He used to be one of the head engineers on the BMW V10 and is happily the most talented Engineer I have ever met. When it comes to F1 engines his word very much should be taken as gospel and if you want to confirm this send me a U2U and I will pass on his contact details.

Just to point out.

-The Kink K article was initially written in 2001, but not published then as it met a lot of resistance. Just to place events chronologically as who said what first.
-in order to publish an article there’s a lot of proof reading (by technical gobbins, mainly everyone referred to in the article and the magazine that is publishing it), so it’s very difficult to have inaccuracies there.
Especially a magazine like Racecar Engineering.

I don’t know about the oil temps issue but would be very wary of having your info (refereed to as by a friend that works at BMW) as gospel.
I know that Simon, OTOH knows the K, and it’s not only him that believes the temps should be within a certain range, but he’s part of the group that does.
I for one am part of the group that does, as is Sean, and you’re not attacking us.
Your new teammate can be a very strong influence, but don’t take all he says as gospel. He can be wrong too.

MEMO FROM GOD:

To: People of Earth
Date: April 19, 2005
Subject: Stop

Knock it off, all of you.

Seriously; what the hell?

– God

Now I agree with God’s comments on this! There’s certain “issues” here that I’ll not want to go into being a car forum and not a psychology forums (something of which I have a personal interest in )…

…Now knock it off ffs before I have to go and get Mr. Slappy to pay a visit to Croft!

Anyway, everybodies right and everybodies wrong, end of.

Basically those that are in the red camp (Let’s say Randy) see Mr E’s comments as agressive and judgemental.

Thos in the Blue Camp (Mr. E) see him saying reasonable well balanced informative information.

Then there’s the rest of us chanting “FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!”

If you read SteveB’s thread on SELOC and pay atention to Dave Andrews comments you’ll see there’s some “history” between Simon E and Steve B which is coming out, now this has no place on a public forum unless the full details want to be made public so everyone can make up their own mind and not have the usual slagging matches…

Just my .2p

Simon - I gather you have been on the phone to NME… They were having a good old chuckle about it when they called me… I’m pleased you managed to brighten up their day.

I gather you have been on the phone to NME…

When I was a lad, NME meant “New Musical Express”, & it reviewed each week’s new 78rpm releases, for playing on the then new fangled Edison Phonograph.

Anyway, I�ll stay out of it from now on.

Please don’t feel you have to do that Randy. There’s a lot of value in a fairly made point.

Ian

BB politics, oh god here we go. I’m gonna stay out of it as I’m new and don’t want to be hated without good reason. LOL.

Peace and good will to all men, or some bollox like that!!!

Sean…

Think this thread would be better off continuing on this website/forum. ‘Get it off yer chest’
John

OK, so this thread started well, but went down hill from the mention of oil temperatures. Did we get anything resolved?

Ian, what was the outcome of the engine being striped down? Should those of us who are considering the Honda route consider extra cooling for the oil, or additional measures to prevent starvation?

Haven’t looked at it yet. Just got back from a few days in Ireland. Will post when the results are in.

I am very happy with the mods I made to my oil cooling. Following a serious thrashing at Croft the highest my oil reached was 100.8 degrees C, thats a drop of 20 degrees from simply putting the oil cooler rad in the airflow.

Very chuffed with the results and it ment I could stay out at Croft for like 40 minutes at a time, with the total peace of mind that everything was OK.

I know some on here will think my oil is now too cold, but I don’t know if we will ever come to a conclusion that everyone agrees with. I guess everyone has there own ideas and stuff.

Sean…

Sean

sorry to be lazy (i know you posted already to tell us) but where is your oil temp sender fixed?

My oil temp sender is in the sump. I used one of the Eliseparts sump plugs that is already drilled and tapped.

Sean…

ahh that’s it i remember - and you use the original pressure switch location to send to the guage and output from guage to feed original stack warning lamp ding !!

your mods rock !!

Yes I removed the original oil pressure switch and replaced it with the SPA oil presure sender. Yes I also linked the remote warning light wire on the SPA’s to the original oil warning light on the Stack dash. If the oil temp goes above the warning temp I have set, the STACK oil lamp comes on as well.

Sean…

That’ll come in handy now that I fit my SPA gauges.

Where you mounting the gauges Uldis?

It’s my plan for later in the year too. Currently thinking of two SPAs on the Brooke Kensington centre beam.

Ian

Uldis

Have you bought some already then ?

Just ordered them.

Went to: http://www.spa-direct.co.uk
free shipping compared to D.Thieves.

\

• Oil pressure/Oil temperature
    critical because I’m also seeing the black oil that Sean was seeing, and now want to see the temperature with the new oil cooler (as Sean did)

• Fuel Pressure/Water temperature
    because I need to see what sort of pressure I actually have now before fiddling with it, and of course after fiddling.
    You know? there’s a handy rescale function in the Emerald software for when you change fuel pressures.

But I’m not ordering the B&C gauge pod. Although it looks good, they would be too far down, and I doubt I would see the readings.
    I saw some very nice ones (standalone) and am going to put the on either side of the Stack instruments, on top of the dash, so when I’m driving I can quickly look at them.
    Don’t want to move my eyes too much from the road.