Headlight bulbs

Self-levelling I can understand. Washers, isn’t that over egging the pudding?

an easier option is a friendly mot man…surely…

or cross fingers untill you see the dreaded shake of the head…

[quote=SeanB][quote=stevegreen][
I think the wash requirement must be a simple fix with a jet mounted inside the light cover [/quote]

Did you really type that Steve???

The dirt is going to bo on the outside you div. [/quote]

Your covers are airtight? Mine aren’t :whistle:

I did have a 2nd option as well… :smiley:

A major cause of dazzle is light reflected off dirt on the lenses hence this requirement.

haha, fair play Steve, the more washers the merrier I guess.

Too many VOSA inspectors loitering around outside test stations to take the risk…

From what I’ve read, ‘self-levelling’ refers to car suspension not the lights themselves (so not like self-dipping).

Also the rotary switch that many cars have on the dash (Renault Clio, for example) to realign the lights with a heavy load, isn’t acceptable either, or that could have been a possible option.

Do later s2 models have different head lights?
My 2008 Exige S OEM headlight are fine and I have never thought they need to be improved.

Where did you get this info from?

Quote from MOT manual is;

“Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.”

Steve - that is the impression from my MOT tester; I guess this is all part of the problem - that the wording is so vague it’s too open to different interpretations.

His understanding was that the system had to be SELF-levelling, ie. that they have to auto-adjust, not be under manual control.

Sorry - didn’t understand that the rotary controls you were talking about were manual not electric; however, I don’t think that should really make a difference.

Moot point, in that if he fails you you still have an issue to sort, but i think he is wrong. Any form of secondary adjustment system should be OK. Many self levelling systems are not automatic and require you to press a switch and decide what level of adjustment is OK.

If he’s up for the debate, it’s worth trying to persuade him; if not it’s down the road to someone else!

Is that true Steve. All of the OE Xenon cars I have either had or driven in, have all had fully automatically adjustable height control and headlamp washers.

Sean - I think you are correct there with regard to OEM HIDs. I thought we were discussing after market kits and the functionality some non-HID cars have/had for non-automatic headlight adjustment.

Just re-read the guidance note and it is confusing that the term “self leveling” and “levelling” are interposed.

It is clear that the effect can be achieved by either headlamp or suspension levelling systems but given that the intention is to have a system that prevents excessive dazzle then a basic static form of self levelling should meet the standard for an MOT.

The big takeaway for Exige owners with HIDs is the possibility of the derogation from this requirement:

[color:#FF0000]“It is also worthy of note that a few high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system.”[/color]

taken from: Vosa technical pen picture 3 - lighting

PS Did you really mean automatic washers - as in they detect dirt on the lenses and wash without driver/your intervention?

Sorry Steve, I hadn’t realised non OEM HID’s had a different set of rules???

I like the sound of fully automatic washers, some people should have them fitted inside the cabin I reckon. Then after something happens on track that makes them cack their pants, this could be automatically cleaned up before getting out of the car in the pit lane.

It is manual control (ie. driver turns switch to appropriate setting , marked 1-4) but headlamp is electrically raised/lowered.

I think his interpretation was that ‘self-levelling’ implied that is was not driver-operated but the squat of the car was detected and the headlight alignment set automatically.

[quote=stevegreen]Moot point, in that if he fails you you still have an issue to sort, but i think he is wrong. Any form of secondary adjustment system should be OK. Many self levelling systems are not automatic and require you to press a switch and decide what level of adjustment is OK.

If he’s up for the debate, it’s worth trying to persuade him; if not it’s down the road to someone else! [/quote]

As you say later, it’s the wording that changes between ‘levelling’ and ‘self-levelling’ at will, but as my Clio and my Exige don’t have HID’s it’s not a problem for me with either car :slight_smile:

I’ve read the VOSA pen-picture, but the wording about ‘…a few high performance vehicles…’ is just way too loose! Needs a definitive list, surely?

You could do with 'em in the pax side in your car mate judging by the expression on that ladies face after you’d taken her around Donny :smiley:

That was probably just my in car chit chat.

I think you have missed the point here - OEM HIDs , as you have pointed out come with all the electronic (or otherwise) backup to ensure they should pass the new MOT standard. Aftermarket kits mostly do not. So the discussion is really centred on whether you can use other systems, which may be non-automatic, to meet the new standard as per tlracer’s post .

The original question was if anyone had tried the other option to HIDs which are just better quality bulbs like Osram or Phillips?

Sorry ade - I used to run an old Landrover airportable lightweight and if the lights on the Exige are bad, these were even worse. I think over 15 odd years I went through quite a few different types as green laning at night was one of my hobbies. I don’t think i found a single bulb that really lived up to the hype of the manufacturer. The best to be had was just by upping the wattage of the bulbs.

HIDs really are that much better than the competition at present and I think with a modicum of effort can be made MOT compliant on the Exige (may be wishful thinking!); however i share your thoughts on the hassle of all the extra bits.

Might just chance my arm a little and get HIDs for Jacqui’s celica ,as it does have headlamp washers, and get the Osram bulbs for the Exige to keep the install simple and more MOT compliant, it doesn’t really get used much at night anyway