Headlight bulbs

With all the new MOT regulations and really not wanting the extra hassle of all the bits for HIDs, I was considering upgraded bulbs.
What have others tried and used? I was looking at the Osram Night Breakers, but they are quite pricey. Other ideas?

PIAA Extreme White PLUS - used them for years.

Are they technically road legal?

It would be ironic if OP failed MOT going for non-HIDs :confused:

Xtreme White appear to be for show or off road use only whilst Xtreme White Plus bulbs achieve something few other high-performance bulbs can - and that�s deliver a stunning performance whilst complying with European regulations.

Perhaps you shouldn’t !!!

Should have added PLUS

Crickey they are not cheap, wanted to get some for Jacqui’s car as well but she needs HB4 9006 �70 per pair :astonished:
At �50 per pair for the Exige as well, that will be over �170 if I do the main on the Exige as well, might just suffer candle level headlights :frowning:
There must be other options?

Crashing in the dark!?

I’ll just drive slower in the dark :wink:

Or I’ll use my A3 more at night, love the Bi Xenon headlights on that :wink:

Good idea, I really don’t like driving the Exige in the dark.

It really used to be ok, untill I got a car with Xenon lights again then you realise just how bad they really are :frowning:

Ade, I have a HID kit on mine but with 4300k bightness so really looks oem but does generate so much more light, I have passed my last two mot’s with no issues at all.
I tried a few different types of bulbs before I took the plunge as could not get the same brightness that a hid kit offered.

Just fit hid’s and find an mot place that doesn’t notice, or swap back for 1 day year?

I know the ones in Seat wont be coming out as they are just sooooo good.

Might buy a set and try them, oh the choices :frowning:

[quote=JDS]Just fit hid’s and find an mot place that doesn’t notice, or swap back for 1 day year?

I know the ones in Seat wont be coming out as they are just sooooo good. [/quote]

HIDs in an Exige may legally pass an MOT with a wash system fitted; the real issue was with the requirement for self-leveling and sports cars appear to have a derogation here.

John - not sure you will be able to claim that for your Seat!

OK, so what would happen if you get caught with HID’s in a “non HID” car (no wash or self levelling)??? Surely it cant be much more than a slap on the wrist??

Classified as an MOT ‘Reason for Failure’.

There is some (very loose) wording about ‘some’ high performance cars with no luggage space and little suspension movement that may not require self-levelling suspension, but nothing more specific.

If it gets rid of blinding, poor-standard conversions on cars that didn’t and shouldn’t have them, then great :slight_smile:

As above, you would have to be really unlucky to have this registered at a roadside stop. It’s all about the MOT test and whilst we may all know friendly testers, it’s better to understanding what the letter of the law requires before embarking on any mods.

I think the wash requirement must be a simple fix with a jet mounted inside the light cover with a second hole to let water out; or outside on the front clam? Not even sure it would have to be demonstrated, i.e. a dummy would suffice!

VOSA: “The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.”

[quote=stevegreen][
I think the wash requirement must be a simple fix with a jet mounted inside the light cover [/quote]

Did you really type that Steve???

The dirt is going to bo on the outside you div.