HANS and harnesses

To HANS or not, my helmet has posts, but I seem to read conflicting article on the use of 3" harnesses and HANS, some say it is ok and other say don’t or you will die in a flaming pile of manure, just for thinking about it!

Be a shame to swap out the 6 point harnesses I have and spend ~£260 on a set of Schroth Profi II 6 point replacements

What are people thoughts?

I believe Hans is now compulsory for racing in any category…so would be unwise to ignore it for trackdays.
I have Willans 6 point with 3" straps which slip off my Hans alarmingly. Is there a Hans suitable for 3" straps?
Will be asking Willans to let me have a set of 2" shoulder straps should be cheaper than a whole new harness. :frowning: .
You may think you will never crash :angel: …I raced for many years without major incident… :smiley: …then returned to trackdays…and crashed!! :smiling_imp:
You can never have too much safety equipment! :clap:

I don’t think any of us in the Ferrets would even consider not using HANS anymore Ade.

Agreed ^

Speak to Malcolm at MSAR Ade, he is a mine of information.

I followed the Ferret gang advice and got a Hans. It is fine in the Caterham with 3 inch straps but does slip off in the Exige with 3inch scroth harness straps. I am not sure why but it may be because my harnesses are the wrap round type (OEM) on the Exige, I have harness hole seats.

I purchased the Scroth HANS device, it has two sets of “ears” to hold the straps in place but no indication anywhere of which to use and when. It does have good instructions about the height and angles for the shoulder belts to avoid slipping. Interestingly, the Caterham web site says you should have some new brackets welded on for Hans but the angles are right for me without. The scroth documents explicitly say the device should not be used with Porsche style sports seats (similar to std Lotus seats) as the belts can slip.

In short, you need to try one and check the shoulder belts meet the Hans spec. Probably avoid wrap round harness bars. Definitely avoid the std Lotus seats and a wrap round bar.

I have the 3" belts and Malcolm at MSAR advised that they will work with my Hans. But it’s not perfect. You take a little bit longer tucking them in the relevant groove. I’ll probably change to the 2" when I next do a sprint as the belts are out of date . Also they are 4 point which is not ideal for the reasons mentioned time and again.

So what do you do if you still run the car on the road. Do you just use the 2" on the road or switch in the 3".
Realise that all this is way above an inertia reel standard belt so what are people thinking for the road.

Regarding seats and Hans, the critical point is that the belt slots are in the correct place and height so the belts are correctly aligned for the Hans: Too wide apart and the belts will be prone to slipping off; too high and they won’t hold the Hans down onto the driver’s shoulders, allowing it to lift.

The reason for narrower belts is that the tension applies load onto the Hans whereas wider belts overlap the Hans, so tightening them can cause them to slip outwards and thus off the device.

Yeah with the Caterhams, the belt mount points are actually moved closer together for using HANS. This means the belts V around your shoulders. I also invested in the Scroth 2" belts with the Slipstop system that kinda meshes with the surface of the HANS.

It all works well and once you’re in the habit you don’t even notice it. I can’t imagine going out onto circuit without it now tbh…

I still have the inertia reels

I have, since my post read the Schroth fitting instructions for harnesses and HANS, interesting to note that 3" belts are ok, but as said above if the mounts are any reasonable distance behind the seats they should be crossed regardless of width. First port of call though is to get a harness bar made to fit onto the roll cage and I’m going to get eyelet fixing welded in for good measure.
From an Exige fitting point of view, if I still had mine, I would look to hold the wraps that go over the bars closer together or have eyelet fixings fitted to the bar.

My mind is made up, harness bar, HANS and a new belt 2" belt before Easter.

Interesting
I have the Schroth 8 point HANS belts in the Orange car, 3 inch shoulder belt and a seperate 2 inch for the Hans device … now I see no longer available … not sure whats the reason for that as the idea seemed and worked so far good …

Bought a HANS device for the F Ford racing car fitted with still in date Sabelt harnesses with 3" width belts - been advised by MSA race scrutineers that they are permissible to use - not experienced any difficulty with them to date.

Ade, god forbid, but if the day ever came after a track incident when you are lying in a hospital bed, are you going to wish you had the correct safety equipment??

I think you know what you should do.

Agreed, spoke to a local roll cage manufacturer today, they are going to get back to me on a price for a bar fitted to the cage. Then to buy the harness and hans :slight_smile:

Have a look at Leatt MRX Pro.
It works with both 2" and 3" and does not interfere with the seat headrest.
My 3" Schroth doesn’t slip at all.

Schroth do a similar style of hans to the Leatt MRX Pro, certainly worth considering as well

Haven’t seen the SHR Flex before. Looks good. Might need to try one.

The Schroth version

That looks interesting. Says it meets the test requirements for effectiveness ( nice to know!) , but unless I’ve missed it I can’t see FIA accreditation - depending on what you want to do.
Mate, as mentioned, comfort is important. I can send you my Schroth to play with if you want when you’ve got your shit together ( no pun intended :lolno: )
I do recommend speaking to Malcolm at MSAR. Tell him you are Headmaster at Alleyn’s School and he’ll give you a discount ( long story) . He may well send you stuff sale or return (- P+P). I did that with boots with him.