gold reflective heat material stuff..............

Does anyone know a source for this gold coloured self-adhesive material where it doesn’t cost an absolute fortune. I need enough to cover a firewall.

I don’t want to use nimbus etc

Ta

Speak to John at JSR.

Much cheaper than Demon Thieves!! :wink: Depending on how much you need at least!

Ta, I’ll give John a buzz.

http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/design-engineering-inc/heat-sound-barrier/reflect-gold

That’s the stuff. There are better things out there I think.

Had a look at Lava Mat? It’s cheap and stood up really well to my engine bay fire :frowning:

I used the reflect-a-gold stuff. Seems to have worked well after a year of trackdays…

wowww…thats look really bling bling, looks like one of those car from Arab country :wink:

Thats a really beautiful engine bay…does the car ever go out of the garage???/ :smiley:

Unfortunately the rest of the car carries a few gravel pit battle scars …

Had the engine out and rebuilt by DVA last year so took the opportunity to bling it up a bit :wink:

Aaron is there any foam or sound insulation behind the gold as it looks like you have gone straight onto the bulkhead with it?

Out of interest, is it a good idea to stick on some sort of sound deadening material before the reflective film. I’m unsure of how loud it’ll be in the cabin without anything. If I can get away without any and therefore not adding more weight, then brilliant. Engine is an SC Honda.

Yep straight onto bulkhead also wrapped the manifold as I was unsure about the temps…Sound is a bit louder but not to bad. Once you have your crash hat on I can�t really tell the difference

From what I’ve found, the sound deadening foam mat from Lotus is obsolete.

Most of the alternatives I’ve found are either not up to the job or are HEAVY. Sound deadening has become a very big thing these days in automotive and they’ve used mass to improve it.

From what I’ve heard, the sound deadening on the firewall doesn’t do a whole lot anyway. Mossing this out will make it a bit louder, but the car’s not exactly refined to begin with.

This is what I’m using on mine:

http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/productdetail/heat-shield-and-thermal-barriers/lava-shield-mat/79/21

It’s not as bling as the gold stuff but does the same job.

I laid a patch on mine behind my manifold heat shield and it’s thus far worked a treat. Given my inability to find a suitable aluminised foam barrier that’s rugged and doesn’t weigh a tonne, I’m just going to do the entire firewall in this stuff

Here’s some photos of mine:

I’ve only brought up the sound insulation issue because in my road car I used a heat/sound insulation foam designed for aircraft. Closed cell so it’s waterproof, fire retardent, and very light (not even a kilo for the entire bulkhead), I then stuck a separate glassfibre backed foil over the top of it for heat reflection and dissipation. As George says there’s no readymade foam and foil combination seemingly up to the job. I even made it all in multi sections so that I could eliminate all the gaps behind it where water and dirt might get in and start corroding the lower bulkhead.

After driving my race car(which has no sound insulation), even just around the paddock with no helmet on, I quickly decided that it was definately something that was going to be addressed on the road car.

All the lines in it are from where I rollered it to make sure it was all stuck on properly, they all disappeared later.

Link to the products you used Az?

Costs?

The foil was just:-

Agriemach clicky

I used 2 of these. Could probably do it in 1 but would get as much free choice on where to put the seams.

The link to the foam is dead, I’ll try and see if I can find it somewhere else…

Aah ok, that foil is this stuff:

http://www.designengineering.com/category/catalog/dei-cycle/insulating-materials/reflect-cool

By DEI, who also do the gold stuff if you wanted to use the gold stuff on top instead of the silver :slight_smile:

It is a little insulting that the US pay the same amount of dollars that we pay in pounds for the stuff - The benefit of having a decent manufacturing industry!

I really wish I’d done mine in the pimpy gold now… :frowning: