gold reflective heat material stuff..............

[quote=Azrael]It is a little insulting that the US pay the same amount of dollars that we pay in pounds for the stuff - The benefit of having a decent manufacturing industry!

I really wish I’d done mine in the pimpy gold now… :frowning: [/quote]

Depends where you buy it!! :wink:

[quote=JDS][quote=Azrael]It is a little insulting that the US pay the same amount of dollars that we pay in pounds for the stuff - The benefit of having a decent manufacturing industry!

I really wish I’d done mine in the pimpy gold now… :frowning: [/quote]

Depends where you buy it!! :wink: [/quote]

You’ll be blinging out mine, dont say I never told you :smiley: :wink:

Musing on why gold should be so good and found this posting:

The use of Gold as a Thermal insulator

When are we getting a pic of the engine bay that arrives back at the workshop on Monday on the net. Truly the best engine bay I have ever seen in a Lotus and I’m not being biased.

You will have to ask the owner :smiley:

One thing to remember is that while the gold foil stuff will work really well against the radiant heat, you’ll still get a fair bit of firewall heating via conduction/convection from the gold into the firewall. This is where a foam really helps out as it provides a much better conductive barrier when used in conjunction with a radiant reflector.

Come on - get it posted !!

Just to bump this, I’ve just revamped my firewall with the foam suggested by Azrael and the gold DEI foil. It took a bit of work to get it so nice, but it’s turned out really tidy :slight_smile: A bit bling for my tastes, but should hopefully do the trick :slight_smile:

VAT and Import Duty…

…for work we often find we have to buy from the US. Once you’ve taken the dollar price and converted it to Sterling, then added 20% VAT and around another 10% Import Duty, plus the cost of shipping and insurance, you’re about at the same number you first thought of!

Don’t the US also have different state taxes that may apply to these prices also?

George. Good to see you have the car ready :slight_smile:

Can you explain better what you did with the rear heat shield? Seems its done in multiple bits? I want to do mine so I am pretty much going to copy what you have done bar maybe the gold foil.

That looks, as ever, like you’ve done yet another fantastic job there George.

Shorrocks…I want my engine bay like that all bar the K!

Quick turn around George :sunglasses:

Just caught up with the latest chapter of George’s NZ blog. Wonderful. So glad it was not consumed by fire and he got back to work on it so soon.

Thanks guys, I did the firewall in 4 sections.

Small Left hand bulkhead (behind where the catch can goes)
Small right hand bulkhead (behind the fuel filler hoses)
Lower bulkhead (the aluminium bit)
Main bulkhead (the main fibreglass middle bit)

Because I used separate foam and foil, I could join the sections of foiled foam with sections of just foil on their own. That makes it easier to negotiate sharper corners etc. Also the section behind the manifold heat shield is just foil on its own to give an air-gap between the manifold heat shield and the bulkhead heat shield.

So in the end, the entire bulkhead is covered in the foil, and 95% of that is covered in foam as well (for noise and convective heat insulation).

There’s also the benefit of perhaps if I have to replace any of it again I could replace just one section of it rather than the whole thing. Either way it’s come out tidy so I’m happy :slight_smile:

very bling bling gold foil, would love that on mine too when due to replaced :slight_smile:

Depends where you buy it from and or where it is delivered to. Referring to US taxes on page 1 (oops)

Thanks a lot for the details George :slight_smile:

George, Is this the foam that you and Azrael used? I am about to start my bulk head heat shield project. cheers

gooooollllldd