Gear linkage/Short shift kits

I was wondering if anybody had any experience with/thoughts on the Eliseparts gear linkage and/or short shift kits?Are they a worthwhile upgrade?

Yes the linkage makes a difference - takes some of the rubbery feel out of the change - makes it more notchy … but beware you have to be carefull how you fit it otherwise you end up with it too stiff - follow the instructions

Quick shift of somekind is worthwhile - Elsie parts one is OK IMHO

Thanks Andy.If I decide to go for these parts,then I will take it to somewhere that has experience of installing the various components.Unfortunately, I have little mechanical know how,and considerably less patience .To someone who knows what they’re doing,are they time consuming tasks?

Are they a worthwhile upgrade?

As Andy says - “no brainer”, which will be confirmed once you’ve fitted one

…cheers Pesky!

Si

To someone who knows what he is doing / done it before - the quick shift should take 1/2 an hour the linkage kit about an hour or so.

To someone who knows what he is doing / done it before - the quick shift should take 1/2 an hour the linkage kit about an hour or so.

Andy, didn’t you have to play with the linkage kit to get the self-centering back again?

Ian

Ian

Yes I did and its still a bit tight when the gearbox is hot

The pivot on the quadrant is the critical point - too loose and well its too loose, too tight and you loose teh self centre

Ian

Yes I did and its still a bit tight when the gearbox is hot

The pivot on the quadrant is the critical point - too loose and well its too loose, too tight and you loose teh self centre

There are quite a few stories of things not goingthat well on installation…it puts me in the “if its not broken don’t fix it” camp on this one…

Thanks for your guidance Andy.I’ll also take on board what IDG said…Good point Steve!There is nothing wrong with the one I have

I find my std set-up gets very loose when it gets hot. That tempts me towards the Eliseparts kit.

Ian

I fitted Eliseparts linkage 1yr ago. It was a big improvement and got rid of a lot of free play. Simple to fit. You just need to make sure everything lines up.Also fitted the quick shift but I altered the pivot point by redrilling the “dimple” which locates the allen bolt as it made the gearchange too “notchy” and heavy as standard.

Funnily enough this is on-topic over at Scottish Elises just now… the following might be useful, courtesy of Fergus Duncan lubing yer bush at Lotus Ecosse

thanks Fd

…Thanks for your thoughts ‘The Bopper’!The ‘notchy’ nature of the quick shift was something that I was wondering about.However,I’m pretty confident that if I tried to alter pivot points etc,I’d **** it up completely Perhaps I should just leave well alone…

I thought the Lotus quick shift made a big difference to mine, made it feel much better engineered, rather than just a std Rover box. There are two settings 23% & 33% reduction in shift distance. I’m on the Lotus recommended 23% as at 33% it can apparently make 5th hard to get at but that doesn’t really matter on track, so I may change it.

Ian

Ian,

Mines got the Lotus kit on too. I think its been set at the 33% reduction and yes the gears are a bit difficult at times! It was fitted at the factory before I bought it but its 1st thats hard to get on mine!!!

Gets quite funny sometimes when It gets stuck sat in traffic.
Horns start beeping behind me

I sometimes get that when the gearbox is really cold.

Ian

i have the moto-build short shift fitted on 33% reduction with right hand bias.5th gear is the difficult one, due to the right hand bias.but this makes it perfect for track use as third to forth is very quick.you can fit it with 23% or 33% with left center or right hand bias.
i also found it easy to fit as im sure they all are being of the same basic principal.

has the eliseparts one got two settings (23% 33% ) ?

I’ve just order one from Moto Build, cost �90 inc vat, on offer at the moment should be �180, its also unbelievable how similar it is to the B&M short shifter , which Demon Thieves charge �225+vat. It also has the two settings available. 23 & 33%,

Dave