Exiges Transylvanian Tour – Transfaragasan and Transalpina

If you get bored easily then I suggest moving on to another thread :wink:….

So who is right, Clarkson or Catchpole :confused: Pierre and I, the Easter European chapter of Exiges.com, finally had the chance to meet up and check out the journalists claims. Ok, so officially we are both ex-Exigers in my Elise SC and his Evora.

Our rendezvous was at the services near the Hungarian / Romanian border at 7pm on Friday, it was great to finally meet up with Pierre, according to my wife, one of my virtual Lotus friends. Accompanying Pierre was his brave girlfriend Victoria. I brought along my American friend Mike who’s also working in Slovakia, he’s never sat in a Lotus before. Crossing the border to Romania was a bit slow, no traffic but they were confused when presented with a British, US, Swiss and Hungarian passport and two British cars. There was a steady flow of crashed cars coming into Romania on trailers, it appears to be the salvage yard of Europe.

Our satnavs had some conflicting ideas on the best directions, after some delays through towns, overtaking 3000 trucks and swerving to avoid different sizes of roadkill stay dogs we finally arrived at the hotel in Sibiu at a very late 4am local time. This was already turning into a proper expedition of a road trip! Still fuelled on espressos and adrenaline it was a short nights sleep.

When we awoke we were blessed with sunny blue skies and the stunning view of the mountains. Topped up with breakfast and fuel we had a short drive before we arrived at the start of the Transfaragasan, not that you would know as you approach on a small country lane. We stopped to double check we were really at the right place.

The action starts right from the valley with back to back hairpins climbing through the forest. As you pass the lower cable car station the views open up and you see the monster trail of switchbacks up above. Traction levels varied due to the quantity of cow dung on the road which was an early warning for the herd of beef on the road up ahead.

It turned out that the Elise SC and Evora are very well matched for pace and we made good progress to the top of the pass. When you arrive at the top it is chaos, bikes and cars parked everywhere and market traders selling local tat. It’s essential to stop though and take a look back down to the amazing road you’ve just driven. :smiley:

After driving through the rock tunnel you come out at the top of the other valley and start the descent. The hairpins are a bit more open on this side but the obstacles increase with plenty of large beasts. Pierre said he was looking for a few more horses in his Evora :laughing:

Once at the bottom of the valley the road twists, seemingly endlessly, along the lake side before arriving at the impressive dam. So that was the Transfaragasan highway, the best driving road in the world? Well its very good, the views are stunning, but lets see what else we can find round here.

To connect with the next part of our plan, the Transalpina, it looked like a simple traverse of the map. In reality this section took a long 4 hours. At one point we literally ran out of road, the bridge on the satnav…wasn’t there anymore! Just a few cones and a big gap. :astonished: The next challenge was a gravel section of roadworks that was rather ‘undulating’. We couldn’t even get the Evora onto the gravel without risk of grounding so we sat and thought while several Dacia’s cheerfully bounced past us. :imp: Thankfully a very nice blonde Romanian lady stopped and said ‘turn round and follow me’, disappointingly she was only taking us to the next passable road but it was a very kind gesture. :wink:

Not much further along the satnav sent us off piste again, we ended up on a gravel farm track at crawling pace, luckily it was going the right way and we made it back to the planned route. It’s a good job we are ex-Exigers as a front splitter would not have survived this tour!

This central area of Romania definitely appeared less affluent than the border towns. We saw plenty of interesting sights including these motorhomes :crazy:

Finally we reached the place we were looking for, Novaci, the start of the DN67C, TheTransalpina Highway. EVO magazine rated this as better than the TransF so we were keen to get moving, more so because it was already 6pm and we had 3 hours of daylight left. The Transalpina has been unpaved until work started in 2009 to make it a modern highway. The first section from Novaci is surreal and sensational, a series of sweeping turns and hairpins on brand new tarmac with concrete walls on the outside of the turns, it’s like an motorsport bobsleigh run. I ascended it in a lively manner, full credit to Mike sat in the passenger seat for being so chilled. Whoever built this new road loves driving! It’s a masterpiece. When we arrived at the top Pierre and I were ecstatic. :stuck_out_tongue: It was clear that this road was already surpassing the TransF by a long way.

However when we turned round we noticed that in the distance was another mountain with a neat ribbon of tarmac ascending into the clouds. We had only just done the first section! Now the road was more open and exposed, with pristine new tarmac but a 1ft drop off the verge either side…and 1000m of nothing below that :astonished: . We proceeded with a bit more respect. We climbed so high that we drove into cloud, when we emerged at 2000m we had a spectacular cloud inversion below us.

After plenty of snap shots we had a sharp hairpin descent to the col then a twisty traverse along the side of the next mountain before ascending to the highest point of 2150m. Based on the aray of tat the two resident hardy hawkers were trying to sell from wooden huts we were definitely at the top

By this time the sun was low and we decided to get a wriggle on. More pristine tarmac twisties flowed down from the summit across open mountain sides. Lower down the road enters the forest but not before having to brake for the local residents of a farm hut.

The next section was awesome. Similar to the start of the route there were flowing smooth hairpins with concrete walls. I really gave it the beans this time and took advantage of the Elises nimble handling. To spice it up there were trees randomly felled across the road with a car size gap sawn from the middle section of them to blast through :astonished: I was in rally heaven.

We took a short break at the crossroads in the valley bottom and some time to calm down and check the map. We had a decision to make, 1 hour of light left, take the main road or go north on the less well travelled next section of the Transalpina? So we entered the East African Safari! The first 300m was gravel again but once we got round the bend we were rewarded with another super smooth section of totally deserted tarmac through the forest. I have never driven anything quite so amazing before. :clap: Forget Angelsey, Nurburgring, EVO triangle… I went ahead on what I can only describe as a 40km deserted special stage through an unpopulated forest. Then we swopped over and Pierre had the lead. I was really enjoying sharing the trip with Pierre, we were always going at a strong pace, very evenly matched but with no stupidity or risk to others, full respect to him for that. :thumbup: Finally the fun came abruptly to an end, the road ran out again. We crept through a gravel quarry, again not very Exige friendly

We found more tarmac but it was starting to get dark now. After we passed the hydro dam we found MORE perfect new tarmac twisties along the valley bottom through a canyon. The S2 lights were better than I expected and we kept the hoof down. Finally we came to civilisation, Saturday night is clearly party night in Sugag, it was 10pm and they were off to a good start in the street.

Back on the main roads we pushed north. Mike and I surrendered at midnight and found a hotel in Cluj, I was completely knackered. :yawn: Pierre must be nocturnal and he pushed on another 3 hours back to the Hungarian border! He was motivated not to miss the mother outlaws birthday lunch in Budapest the next day :wink:

I think you get the idea that we enjoyed the trip. I’ve done a few trips over the years and plenty of motorsport but this was one epic adventure. An awesome route plan (thanks Pierre), my own car (not a rental), sunny weather and brilliant company. Looking from the outside Mike commented on the way home as to how amazing is it that you can meet someone through the exiges website that lives somewhere in the world near you but you have never met, you meet up, have the drive of your life and a fabulous crac :thumbup: . This was also Mikes first time driving a Lotus and on some challenging roads, he did brilliantly :clap: , I can picture Exiges.com expanding to Pittsburgh in the future.

Which was the fastest car, the Elise SC or Evora? Neither, it’s the Romanian Passat diesel estates, equipped with radar for overtaking on blind bends and crests. You need to keep your eyes open for the tossers.

Depending on Mikes video editing, and legal advice :nerd: there may be some video clips to follow.

So back to the original question, which is the best driving road in the world? :confused: I will let Pierre answer that.

Bloody brilliant write up Wes.

Apologies for duplicated posts.

Bloody brilliant write up Wes, what an amazing adventure! :mrgreen:

I knew you & Pierre would get on famously :thumbup:

Superb stuff. Thanks for sharing :angel:

E P I C

The road of a lifetime.

Driving with Wes is sheer pleasure and I’m SOOOO happy he had the idea to do this trip. It’s also better he wrote the above as mine would be punctuated with just !!!'s :smiley:

We were SO lucky. The tarmac is PERFECT, has only just been laid, only a few places have lines and barriers/walls, and there was virtually no one else on the entire mountain range.

Driving it was better than any trackday or event I have done. Every time we stopped for a breather or photos we were just looking at each other saying we could not believe how good it was. And it kept going, and going, and going. Imagine someone said I’ve rented you the Nurburgring as a gift - free, exclusively 2 cars only, but it’s not 18km long now its 152km long and includes Pikes Peak up and down, but its even better than that.

I’m so excited I’m typing this on my phone as Im still not even home yet.

The Transalpina was called The Kings Road and The Devils Path in the past. For now, in it’s current untrafficed, unfinished state, it is the road of a lifetime. The TransF does not hold a candle to it.

Wes’s pace was fantastic and I am so impressed how the Elise SC and Evora match each other for pace and, bizzarely, fuel consumption. OMG the fun driving we had!!!

Photos tomorrow when I have my laptop. I tried on the phone but it tells me the image sizes are too big :s !

Thank you Wes - Epic!

I love these sort of road trips. Fantastic. Thank you.

Wow, what an adventure and great write up!

I nearly got a job in Cluj…first time I’m regretting it.

It’s a happenin’ place, according to the posters they even had Billy Idol coming to town :slight_smile:

Total distance covered: 1528km
35hrs driving time , Fri night - Sunday lunch :laughing:

Route wise we travelled:
north —> south on the Transfagarasan,
south —> north on the Transalpina

A few more photos and a tiny video of the area of 60-70% stage of the Transalpina. Wes’s copilot Mike should have some good video of the mountain stages :thumbup:

Wes looks for every excuse to slide the rear :smiley:

This is a public road :open_mouth:

Left to the main road, right to the East Africa Safari

Above the clouds

This is the sign you want to see

Motorhome part deux

How to pack an Evora for a Safari
(having seen the condition of Romania many times before I was not taking any chance of being stranded on a mountain with a puncture on a weekend. I love having a full set of winters’ spare.)

Thought you drove a long way? Think again :astonished:

Still trying to work out how tuners claim to fit more horses in…

To be fair the Transfaragasan is a great drive with lovely scenery

Scary moment of the trip - roaring through the pitch black, NO public lighting at all, tunnel at the top of the Transfagarasan and coming across two cyclists in the pitch black trundling along in front of you with no lights or reflectors on them or their bikes. I wonder how many accidents or near misses there have been. They must have been peeing on their seats hearing us coming.

Initial planing
Exigers’ rendez vous at the red point :ugeek:

The actual route we took :sunglasses:

Can’t get the video link to work :crazy:
but Miss Double D’s quote in the video summarises it very well -

"Are you sure we are going to Switzerland next weekend?

why?

Or are we coming back here" :smiley:

I actually think you had more stuff in the back seats of your Evora Pierre than the Pikeys had on their trailers :slight_smile: oh hang on, you only had one fridge, they had five

Did you visit the enchantingly named town of Turda en route? :laughing:

What an awesome adventure lads. A fantastic write-up and pics too. Your excitement and thrill at such a special trip really came across :sunglasses:

It truly looks like the most amazing driving roads. From my place to Sibu is about 1400miles, I think I’d need therapy after doing that in the Exige. Maybe we should speak to Mr Leroux and see if he wants to do a trip to the Red-Bull Ring, Hugaroring and a road trip :question:

Brilliant write-up from both of you. Amazing pictures,too. Every credit.

We may have had a little chuckle as we drove through there. :slight_smile:

As a seasoned Alpine tourer, I can certainly see the attraction of Romania now, even if it takes more than a few days to get there from the UK.
So a few questions for future reference
Where did you stay overnight
If one took it more leisurely, that is less miles per day, could you have found pensions/hotels
Did you feel the cars were safe and secure at night
Was fuel readily available
Oh, and I must improve my reporting skills
Jealous

Awesome write up lads, sounds awesome.

I must admit that I was a bit unsure of what we would find when we arrived in Romania. I’m now quite acclimitised to the differences of central Europe and to be honest I love it, less density of people, less traffic, less hustle and bustle than the UK.

Only the best for us boys and girls, we stayed at the Hilton in Sibiu, it was excellent and only €80 per night. There are plenty of places to stay, most of the major towns have chain hotels, have a look on Booking.com.

I wasnt worried about the cars at night, mainly because I was too tired :slight_smile: but the Hilton car park was barriered and manned, we parked outside the front door like royalty :wink: For the next night at Cluj Meridien it was off street parking only but I guess they would have preferred the Panamera or Rangie parked next to mine .

No worries for fuel, Pierre even managed to hop between OMV stations for super100, that was his secret tactic for extra speed. I think I used a Petrol/Diesel mix in mine :wink:

I can see a clear business opportunity - Budapest Lotus Rentals :slight_smile:

I agree with Pierre’s comments though, ‘get it while it’s hot!’ Once the full tarmac sections are completed this place will be a lot more popular (with German BMW GS riders) and could loose some of the adventure appeal. Having said that it wont detract from the sheer driving pleasure if you time it right, either early morning or later at night.

1 Like

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/romania/hilton-sibiu-SBZHIHI/index.html

Finding hotels online is ok, but good ones are in short supply. Golden Tulip are also good, I used to use them for business.

The cars were fine at the Hilton :smiley:

Fuel stations are far apart! We could not believe how few there are. OMV and MOL are the ones to use. We never saw a Shell.
Wes even put LUKOIL russian fuel in his SC, rally drivers have no fear :laughing:
Co-pilot sat nav on my iphone is the best 29GBP I ever spent on an app. Full EU maps with hotels, petrol stations etc all listed.

\

• OOPS! - beaten to it by Wes -

Well done Wes, a brilliant write up mate and to think I could have shown you the entire West Midlands lol