EXIGE VHPD 190 Spark Plugs

What spark plug is best to use on the VHPD 190 engine?

Confused, as my 160 was best upgraded to suit a high spec Platinum NGK at circa � 6.00 per plug…

yet the Exige Plug recommend the Champion RC6 6YCC…

I have not been able to source this and have only been able to find a Champion RC6 6YC… at the handsome sum of � 1.85 per plug!!!

What Is the best option please!

Cheers,

Pete.

RC Y 6CC DOES THE JOB

Halfords will order them for you

Err… don’t wish to start another sh*t fight
But… I think it’s RC6 YCC, I keep them in stock, but plenty of places can get them.

Try carsparkplugs.co.uk, around �2 I think.

Dave

Many Thanks…

So why do tuners etc recommend a high end � 6.00 Platinum plug for better performance on the non VHPD engine, but somehow everything is ok with a � 2.00 plug from Halfords or whoever for this great highly tuned VHPD engine!!!

I do not quite get the logic!!!..

But if there is no advantage then…!

Cheers,

Pete

Many Thanks…

So why do tuners etc recommend a high end � 6.00 Platinum plug for better performance on the non VHPD engine, but somehow everything is ok with a � 2.00 plug from Halfords or whoever for this great highly tuned VHPD engine!!!

I do not quite get the logic!!!..

But if there is no advantage then…!

Cheers,

Pete

Apologies for the typo - RC6YCC it is

Depends what you mean by performance

Platinum tips and fine electrode tips do have an advantage.

Platinum is much more resistant to erosion so the service life will be much longer than a pot boiler RC6YCC, which is an important goal for manufacturers today, and remember the longer the plug survives in good condition, the better the spark will be and consequently, performance and emissions will not degrade so fast.

On the other hand platinum , because it does not erode like a plain steel tip, can be made into a fine point electrode, which means a smaller energy lost in producing the spark, which means more energy for a big spark = better burn = more power.

Personally I find carefully prepping a RCY6CC tip will give a very good spark, and then it’s just a matter of changing them when they begin to go off, - they are cheap enough to do that.

My better engines all run very high compression so I tend to use race plugs. These have precious metal tips and short noses so they can cope with the thermal stresses and get the heat away quickly. The new head also uses a 10mm plug.

Interesting reply!!!

Guess I will stick to the Champion!

Many thanks,

Pete.

What gap does everyone set these at ?

30-35 thou (.75 to.9mm) should be fine.

Dave

RC6YCCs are set at 0.9mm [0.035in] from factory - thats ok with an indifferent ignition - ie old and standard coil.

I set them at 1mm, and there are significant horsepower gains to be had at that gap - 8bhp - but only if the rest of the ignition system is up to it.

simon

If you think you are gaining 8 BHP just from changing the plug gap then I think you need check the results. Assuming your ignition system is up to the job to start with, the spark just lights the fire. It doesn’t matter how how big a spark you use, the end result is the same.

Bernard

bye the bye - when are you going to be honest and front up all that you know about the origin and give due credit for all the K crank counterweighting tests - and introductions to competant dynamic balancing.! It really is about time you were honest Bernard

Same as it ever was…

I feel some thread degeneration coming on.

8BHP… yeah right…

Dave

I see we are going through the old repetition phase…

Lie 17, exaggeration 12, claim 14, mumbo-jumbo 42

Dave

bye the bye - when are you going to be honest and front up all that you know about the origin and give due credit for all the K crank counterweighting tests - and introductions to competant dynamic balancing.! It really is about time you were honest Bernard!

Yet another potentially interesting and informative thread for people ruined by you. What has this got to do with spark plugs?

As I said on the last thread that ended up in Muppet Show, stick to the facts, don’t abuse people and the threads work, the information comes out and you get your side of things over for reasoned debate, but you just cant resist can you. I really do think it’s time for you to be removed from these forums.

So come on Mr Admin, make a decision.

King_t,

The duty cycle of a twin coil pack, per coil is exactly half that of a single coil pack. Given that I have engines going to 9000RPM+ on a single coil pack and you say that a twin is unreliable over 7000, the duty cycle at 7000RPM on a twin is the same as the duty cycle of a single coil at 3500.

So should I expect to see problems over 3500RPM on single coils??

I do not beleive that the margin for improvement is as large as you claim and unless you have back to back dyno runs showing it then you shouldnt believe it either. If you have seen gains of that order then I would suggest that what you are really seeing is a loss associated with some stonewall problem with the original installation.

The size of the plug gap follows the same pattern as most things that improve, the law of diminishing returns, open them wide enough and the spark will fail, too narrow and the spark will nor have enough energy. 30-35 thou is smack in the right place for most high energy ignition systems, wider gaps will give negligible benefit and may give misfires when resistance in the cylinder is at its highest and battery voltage compromised such as when starting or when the engine is cold.

Try to stay on topic, no-one is remotely interested in you ranting on in the same vein as every other thread you contribute to.

I have not abused Bernard - simply asked him in the face of all this abuse aimed at me - to tell the whole story as he knows it

Where on this thread has any abuse been aimed at you? Where has there been any discussion about balancing?

Dave