Exige S1 project by Klaus

The forum has been very quiet recently. So I’m going to post some more progress of my project.

I let the engine run for the first time. After changing almost all sensors, the cambelt, coolant fluid, etc. I was quite happy when it started without serious trouble.
I really like the eager sound of the VHPD engine when idling :stuck_out_tongue: . The small Odyssey 680 battery does its job very well and seems to be powerful enough even when starting multiple times.

First job was to synchronize the two pairs throttle bodies. Using a Synchrometer this would have been an easy task if the balancing screw hadn’t been to short to adjust the two pairs. I bought a new longer M5 screw and a suitable spring that prevents the screw from getting loose. After shortening the screw and the spring some millimetres I was able to balance throttle bodies. The engine runs much smoother now.

I re-installed the boot floor by bonding and riveting it in. I replaced the original rivet fixing of the heatshields by rivnuts so the heatshield may be remived in the future.
I have no idea how the thick upper heatshield made of thick foam could be installed on the folded boot floor. It should stay there just held by a single stripe of double sided tape.
After cutting it into two pieces along one bend I hope it will stay there just with the use of double sided tape.

The seats have been re-installed after freshening them up a little. A new set of Schroth ASM harnesses were used as the old ones looked a bit tatty.
To keep the original appearance I let the local shoe maker transfer the ‘Safety Devices’ sew on sticker from the old belts to the new ones.
After reading some reports of Exiges on fire I decided to install a FEV gas fire extinguisher.

For the first time the cabin looked how it should be and I spent at least 10 minutes strapped down in the driver seat enjoying it :slight_smile:.

That does all look very lovely :sunglasses:

Doesn’t it look great, well done Klaus. Mega.

Thank you for the kind words.
One of the smaller jobs was to replace the missing connector for the stack speed sensor. Thankfully John (aka JDS here on exiges.com) could provide a new connector :thumbup:.
After connecting it to a new speed sensor the speedometer was back alive (at least the needle moved when I turned the wheel in the air).

I set up the suspension using some self constructed tools involving strings, sections of a ruler and wooden axle stands :wink: . I used them on my Elise before and adjusted them to the slightly different track and the smaller PCD. The required mid laden weight was simulated by some sand bags and I’ve chosen to only place half of a passenger since I will drive mostly alone.

Ride height and the other suspension settings have been set to factory spec as a starting point. You really need to take your time and be very attentive.
Tightening the lock nuts alone may change already the toe setting :open_mouth:

Fixed and refitted the wheel arch liners.
The car ran very low before so the liners looked like Swiss cheese. As new liners are rather expensive I decided to fix the old ones. I bought a sheet of black ABS plastic in 0.5mm.
Using a bigger scissor and some special ABS glue it was quite easy to fix them.

Next step was to refit the front clam. Needless to say that nearly all of the rivnuts had to be replaced. It’s quite fiddly to adjust all the gaps including the shut line of the doors.
There is not much space between the leading edge of the opening door and the front clam.
The locking mechanism of the front bonnet had the tendency to stay locked for ever before being adjusted properly :wtf:

Fitting the rear clam was fiddly too. Especially the edges that wrap around the door post are sensible to damages.
Working slowly and alone was the best way for me to fit the clam.
For the first time I saw the car with both clams on it :slight_smile:

You are a lucky boy.

Wonderful stuff. How I wish I could (dare) attempt such a project.

Awesome!

Yes, that’s true. Having the resources, space and time to realise such a project is a privilege which I don’t take for granted.
Working on the Exige is a real pleasure. And my family is very patient when I spend too much garage-time again.

Picture shows my youngest son having a seat in the Exige:

Great pic, love that!

Gotta say that one of the real privileges of owning my Exige is seeing the enthusiasm it fosters in my 8yo middle lad who is a complete petrolhead. He loves it and asks EVERY weekend if we can take it out!

My only concern is that after so much paxing in a SC Honda Exige from such a formative age,…it may have incorrectly calibrated his brain :crazy:

Here’s my lad trying to look cool and nonchalant with the car :sunglasses:

Thanks!

I will put my glasses on next time I want to read posts!

And does it with aplomb! Much like his Dad.

Fantastic to see him getting used to driving a car from the correct side.

Just like my youngest son who enjoys it to have a ride in my Elise. My oldest son is quite the opposite. When I’m picking him up on occasions in the Elise he’s always a bit embarrassed
and prefers not to be seen in Dad’s boy racer. Too much attention. I’m not sure what is going to happen when I’m picking him up in the Exige :mrgreen: