Exige S GT

935kg

Before options

Grunt for money, you can’t go far wrong with a Monaro VXR500 at �35K (�25K if you get a used VXR and mod it)

If it’s grunt you;re after, the Mustang GT500 is only a few grand more than this new Exige isn’t?

Ian

Well this is what Pistonheads think of the pair…

Pistonheads Review

But to be honest, if your spending 35k on a big coupe, then an M3 CSL is surely the only way to go.

David

Not with the new M3 just round the corner, no.

Ian

I�m guessing you�re talking more about residuals more than direct competition, and if so I can see where you�re coming from, but to be honest, over the last 6 months or so they really seem to have (finally) levelled off, plus it�s still a rare car (422 in the UK, or something like that) and that�s got to be worth something depreciation wise, yes you�ll probs still lose a fair few grand, but not that much more than you would with the Exige, just look how little S2s are changing hands for these days.

If you�re after a big, fun, classy coupe (that isn�t a Porsche), I don�t see how you could do much better…

After all what would you rather drive, a Ford (albeit a Shelby), a Vauxhall, or a BMW…

David

I’m with you the CSL has my vote…I’ve driven the VXR and CSL and yes the VXR is a great drive but the CSL is a better all round package…and a great looking car imho

The CSL is one of those best kept quite cars which are way better than any one thinks.

I have just sold mine it was a great car.

the reason for the sale was running costs, it was bloody expensive to run and not only that BMW warranty is running out on all CSL’s and to renew it is �1050 with a �250 excess claim limit. ( excess on a warranty ffs no thanks see ya)

it costs Double a Lotus to run in every thing, Tyres, Petrol, Brakes, Disks, Insurance etc.

ANd then you cannot use the car as these cars do not sell with any miles on them which is also daft.

Shame they didn’t do it with a proper manual gearbox.Then I might have bought one myself!

the box takes time to learn

I hated it for 2 months then it was amazing.

I had an E46 M3 with the SMG box and it is very very good. I test drove both the manual and SMG before I decided to go with the SMG. As mentioned it takes a little while to get used to it, but once you have there is no going back.

Agree with your Sean. I have had 3 E46 2 with manual and current with SMG and is very good when you get hang of it. Have been told new V8 M3 will have 7 speed SMG so cant wait.
Steve

I disagree about the SMG, dont you actually want to drive the car ? I never thought I would hear that from an exiges website, heal and toe anyone ? I dont want a fooking computer doing it for me, save a few quid and buy a BMW with the manual shift …

The only time I have thought the paddle shift was a good idea was on the new F430 … it just seems to work better with the car and actually adds to the experience.

I don’t understand. How can a flappy paddle be a good idea for a Ferrari but not a BMW ? Surely a Ferrari is nearer to an Exige than a BMW in terms of purpose ?

I disagree about the SMG, dont you actually want to drive the car ? I never thought I would hear that from an exiges website, heal and toe anyone ? I dont want a fooking computer doing it for me, save a few quid and buy a BMW with the manual shift …

The only time I have thought the paddle shift was a good idea was on the new F430 … it just seems to work better with the car and actually adds to the experience.

I thought with the SMG you basically had a manual box operated electronically. If nothing (major) gets in the way of your inputs where is the problem?

Autos acting as manuals via paddles, now that’s a different matter!

Ian

I personally like 3 pedals, thats all …

The ferrari seemed to fit the F1 style gearbox better, again its just my personal preference for that car.

In my opinion it�s worse to put an �F1� �box in a Ferrari more than any other car, I mean the best thing about a Ferrari is the heritage, and the impact that has on the event of driving it, I mean when you imagine driving a Ferrari do you dream of pulling levers, or sniking down the open-gate with the engine singing behind you…

I dunno, maybe it suits the car better to have a paddle shift, but to me, a Ferrari is all about the legend, and that means a manual…

David

My 1st E46 was manual and when I was changing that I was going to get SMG but chickened out and went for another manual but with the 3rd thought what the hell and went for flappy paddle. When giving it the beans with traction control off which allows the fastest change to be selected it is awesome. It is nothing like a manual change of auto box as in previous Alpina and Merc I have had which were crap in comparison. But I have an Exige aswell so have best of both worlds.

I must say that I was never a fan of the paddle shift change. My brother-in-law had a Ferrari 360 F1 which he lent me for a afternoon and I just couldn’t get on with the shift. Then I drove a M3 CSL and was hooked. It was a better box than the 360. Since then I’ve tried a Maserati Grandsport and this also was much improved shift over the 360. These cars seem to suit these type of transmissions and I never stopped smiling when driving the CSL and Grandsport. I couldn’t imagine an Exige with a paddle shift though, it’s just not that type of car…but saying that it is probably the future with so many cars having it these days…and Lotus are working on paddle shift for the new 2plus2…you will all need to use more skills than a Jedi Knight not to give in to the paddle shift force.

Paddles in an Exige rock man!!!

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/SeanBicknell/newdashwithflash.jpg[/image]

Soooo Cool! But Sean that Quaiffe appears the liability of your year? and the Hewland alternaitve for the S2 is silly money