Enginge Start Buttons

Hello All

Been lurking for a while and thought I’d pose a question for once…

What do people think about fitting an engine start button?

One thing that appeals to me is to remove the key based ignition and replace it with a keypad or maybe even biometric based “authentication”, and then use the enginge start button to ignite (start seems too dull a word for how the car sounds!).

However I’ve a feeling the insurance company wouldn’t like it…

So has anyone fitted an enginge start button and if so why, was it difficult, where, etc

Many thanks

Adrian

It’s an option on the 2006 models.

As far as security goes, a couple of VX220 owners have caught people attempting to steal their car but being baffled. The start button is not in an immediately obvious position and is not labelled in any way. To activate the start button, the key still has to be in the ignition though. Done that way, ins. companies could only welcome it.

Would the start button then prevent the key from starting it, merely enabling it to be started by button?
thanks

In order to crank the engine, you can either use the start button or the key. You can also deactivate the key cranking position so you start the engine just from the button.

Used to drive an old Series IIa Landrover that had a starter button in the middle of the front bulkhead. There was also a fusebox on the steering column and it was the easiest thing in the world to short two terminals to make the ignition live and then start the vehicle. In fact, it was easier than looking for the keys!

So has anyone fitted an enginge start button and if so why, was it difficult, where, etc

[image]http://www.eliseparts.com/shop/images/medium/starter-button_MED.jpg[/image]
This is one potential spot - or at least it is for an S1

You can get a S2 one here:- http://www.pbracing.it/

I’ve installed one on mine to replace the blank button behind the gear stick

S2000 starter button on S2 Exige

In order to crank the engine, you can either use the start button or the key. You can also deactivate the key cranking position so you start the engine just from the button.

Surely that must invalidate your insurance?

I presume he means that you still need the key turned to the ignition on position, but you can’t actually start the engine using the key alone.

I presume he means that you still need the key turned to the ignition on position, but you can’t actually start the engine using the key alone.

Ah, yes, I see now!

S2000 starter button on S2 Exige >

Nice button, do you think that would work/fit an S1?

S2000 starter button on S2 Exige >

Nice button, do you think that would work/fit an S1?

I was thinking the same. Only place I could think of was somewhere on a central guage braket if there was room?

Used to drive an old Series IIa Landrover that had a starter button in the middle of the front bulkhead. There was also a fusebox on the steering column and it was the easiest thing in the world to short two terminals to make the ignition live and then start the vehicle. In fact, it was easier than looking for the keys!

[image]> http://www.eliseparts.com/shop/images/medium/starter-button_MED.jpg> [/image]
This is one potential spot - or at least it is for an S1

Just had a look at my dash to see where i could fit one BUT i dont have this panel as in this photo…my panel only consists of three swithches, one of which is blank, is that because ive got air con and those swithches are situated near the heater controls…my panel is even different to whats in the owners manual!

Just had a look at my dash to see where i could fit one BUT i dont have this panel as in this photo…my panel only consists of three swithches, one of which is blank, is that because ive got air con and those swithches are situated near the heater controls…my panel is even different to whats in the owners manual!

Are you sure you’ve got an Exige?

one out of an Aston would look nice.

just need a screw driver and Russ’ keys again…

Are you sure you’ve got an Exige?

Fcuk me, you had me worried with that comment!

BUT

Yes it is an Exige, but why is my layout different!

Looking at the steering wheel my panel is split with 3 push buttons on the left of the wheel and two on the right!

Ive even looked at the original sales brochure and its different to my layout.

Where the 5 button panel is situated in the photo, ive got 2 push buttons and an heater grill!

This MUST be because ive got the factory fitted aircon model???

Bertone

Glad to send you into panic mode

Don’t worry though, mine’s the same

[image]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Exiges/Gauges.jpg[/image]

Bertone

Glad to send you into panic mode

Don’t worry though, mine’s the same

[image]> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/Exiges/Gauges.jpg> [/image]

Thanks for that, you nearly had me running to check my documents!

Any idea why the different layout from the sales brochure, it looks nothing like that photo, and the owners manual…air con, face lift, late manufacture car?

Any idea why the different layout from the sales brochure, it looks nothing like that photo, and the owners manual…air con, face lift, late manufacture car?

No idea, sorry.

Can’t remember the brochure, but it would have been done on an early non-A/c car. The A/c cars have more vents in the centre dash. Could that be it?

Ian