Engine decision Replace? or enhance??

My exige is currently a standand 190 spec car and I currently am toying (quite seriously) about either changing the engine to ideally an Audi or playing with the K but have a few questions.

I have read that the Audi engine replacement costs approx �7000 -�8000 is this a relistic figure and does this cost allow for a degree of buggeration eg tuning etc.

or

Should I have my current K played with. It currently has an approx mileage of 14K and although it has been serviced and wanted for little I am concerned about the ultimate reliabilty (ie in a few months/years I will have to spend serous money on an engine rebuild etc.) So whilst I am aware that no engine will ever be without its problems can I spend a relatively small amount ie �1000-�2000 to make it better or should I bite the built and have the engine changed and if so how easy is it to sell the K and what return can you expect.

…can I spend a relatively small amount ie �1000-�2000 to make it better…

I doubt (!!!) that you can “blueprint” the engine for that little, bearing in mind the amount of work which appears to be necessary to achieve what you’re after. It will also depend upon how much you are able to do yourself eg Uldis.

For starters, you’ll need to budget for a mappable ECU, vernier pullies, & a rolling road session, which will cost around �1000. Then the real work on the engine’s internals begin…

What about the Honda? That seems like a good balance of performance and reliability.

You won’t get back what you pay though.

Ian

I say, why worry?

Don’t waste any money on any engine.
Just maintain the one you have and use the money on track time, until the engiune breaks.
Then decide what you want to do.
You’d spend between �2.5K for a proper rebuild to �5K for a gorgeous rebuild or �7K for the Audi or �10K for the Hunduh.

Pick your choice. (but you don’t really need to spend any money now)

Also bear in mind by changing the engine you are likely to seriously devalue the future value of your exige !!!

Also bear in mind that it is not just the cost of a different engine to be taken into account, you will inevitably have to fit at least nitrons to make the most of your new found power along with other little changes which add up in cost.

If an engine change is what you have your heart set on then by all means, but at least also consider the chassis mods to absolutely be able to make the most of your new found horses.

Also bear in mind that it is not just the cost of a different engine to be taken into account, you will inevitably have to fit at least nitrons to make the most of your new found power along with other little changes which add up in cost.

I think that everyone who has done a conversion, had already upgraded the brakes, & fitted Nitrons, as they are trackday regulars, but I take your point

I think that everyone who has done a conversion, had already upgraded the brakes, & fitted Nitrons, as they are trackday regulars, but I take your point

agreed Mr Pesky, was just mentioning it as mark said he had a standard 190 car incidently i am awaiting the permission to publish the articale a local mag did on the 2L turbo exige.

Also bear in mind by changing the engine you are likely to seriously devalue the future value of your exige !!!

It will be interesting to see if that holds true in the future, particularly when the number of Rover engined cars, with over 30K miles under their belts, increases.

Have you considered that the exact opposite of your prognosis may arise?

…and mine has done 45,000 miles and still going strong!

…and mine has done 45,000 miles and still going strong!

[image]http://www.businesscare.org.uk/images/postcards/popups/Ostrich.jpg[/image]

Are you coming to Brands on Saturday, mate, or are you still in honeymoon mode

I know, head in the sand - I don’t know why people think VHPD’s are too highly tuned and they’re only going last 20,000 miles…they go on for ever. Stay with yer Rover engine, they’re bullet proof.
Got a company drinking session on Friday so I think Saturday I’ll be hung over. Though Diddy will probably talk me into it…

I am just going off previous examples of engine conversions…ie ford v6 in a triumph stag, a popular conversion at the time but no one will touch them with a bargepole now !!!

I am just going off previous examples of engine conversions…ie ford v6 in a triumph stag, a popular conversion at the time but no one will touch them with a bargepole now !!!

Good point Chris, but the Exige is very niche, & to a large extent targeted at the trackday market, although of course many haven’t/won’t ever get used as they ought to be

I was interested/pleased to see a Blink S1 Elise with a few miles on the clock going for 19K. If he gets that much it will certainly lay down a marker.

My car demonstrated the value of the Honda conversion yet again yesterday by running round Oulton Park all day with zero problems. Gave all the other cars there a good trouncing too .

Erm… as if !

In that case the K cars have demonstrated it countless times! (and yes, also routinely giving the other cars a good trouncing too!)
Next you’re going to tell me you are getting laid more since you swaped engines!

Somehow I get the same feeling than Evosal, and I had the impression that if there was ever somebody inclined to swap the K it would have been him.

Re: the Blink car. I was under the impression it went for far less than he was hoping, and I know it had been given a good tidy-up: paint and stuff.

Anyway, time will tell.

I can compare this engine swap thing to having the missus get bigger boobs. You might think sex is going to get better but it’s actually the same.
And then your mate tells you how good in bed his flat chested missus is, and you wonder…

My car demonstrated the value of the Honda conversion yet again yesterday by running round Oulton Park all day with zero problems. Gave all the other cars there a good trouncing too .

It was, however, very well driven too, young man - thanks for the lappage

Erm… as if !

In that case the K cars have demonstrated it countless times! (and yes, also routinely giving the other cars a good trouncing too!)
Next you’re going to tell me you are getting laid more since you swaped engines!

Somehow I get the same feeling than Evosal, and I had the impression that if there was ever somebody inclined to swap the K it would have been him.

Re: the Blink car. I was under the impression it went for far less than he was hoping, and I know it had been given a good tidy-up: paint and stuff.

Anyway, time will tell.

I can compare this engine swap thing to having the missus get bigger boobs. You might think sex is going to get better but it’s actually the same.
And then your mate tells you how good in bed his flat chested missus is, and you wonder…

The engine hasn’t made the sex with my car any better but it has completely changed the driving experience. I enjoy it 10* as much as I used to.

The old Rover bag of nails never put a smile on my face and I was forever worried about when it was going to go bang. At high rpm it sounded like a dying cat and gave me no confidence in it holding together.

The Honda is the best four cylinder engine in the world and the Lotus has the best chassis (for reasonable money). Together they make me .

Yup, totally agree Chris, could’nt have put it better.

BTW, thanks for the drive yesterday - very nice machine.

Russ - no probs. Thats the other great thing about the Honda, you can hand the keys to people without the fear of anything going wrong (as long as they aren’t complete loons ).

Pesky - next time you will HAVE to get behind the steering wheel.