Emerald ECU for Toyota!

CLICKY

Says Rover ??

CLICKY here just got the email

thats looks mint

No DBW support as yet and no price on the Yota specific interface with CANBUS so may not even be cheaper than the other options already out there.

I’m waiting to see on this one before I get too excited. Knowing Emerald it’ll be a long wait. :smiley:

Dan

Just had a long chat with Greg about this GREAT news… As always he does not want to rush into things, but wants to get things RIGHT!

There WILL be a FBW fit on the way…

This being mapped by DW will be a BIG tick to optimise each engine/mod state. Watching Dave map my S1 Exige was amazing… 25 bhp was let loose over the session!!!

Excited!!! :slight_smile:

Be good but they need to be compatible with the fly by wire throttle or there market is very limited good news they are at least working on something, I hope it is not too expensive or it will be priced out of the market. :frowning:

It’s a fairly small market too. Let’s be honest, there are very few people who will be prepared to pay the extra for a fully mappable ECU rather than just getting a reflash from Charlie.

Yes it is beneficial if you keep adding mods or you’re chasing big power but for most people who look at an aftermarket supercharger conversion they wouldn’t entertain the price difference over a reflash.

/2p

Dan

If your going to pay someone else to remap your car anyway why not just remap the factory ECU? Unless your going to do the mapping yourself I don’t see the benefit of spunking a �1000 on an ECU which someone else is going to map.

It’s not like Essex Autosport is charging crazy money to remap the factory ECU.

Cable throttle only by the looks of it, this will be largely due to technology behind it and the costs of type approval with drive by wire issues. It’s much harder to do the job the T4E dies. We’re involved with a development of a proper plug & play ECU as a T4E replacement and it’s nearly a six figure project.

There are significant benefits for track and race use over even a remapped stock ECU - even though the stock one can be remapped it’s very limited in terms of resolution and functionality but for the average road user I tend to agree that a factory ECU remap is probably OK. A drive by wire compatible ECU that doesn’t involve hacking the wiring or having CAN issues will easily cost the other side of �1k

If you want to start playing around with induction, manifolds, cam kits, supercharger pulleys, injectors, compression ratio etc etc then a ‘proper’ ECU is your only option. The better Exige race cars tend to be running Motec but this is very expensive. We should have similar functionality to Motec available on a plug and play basis soon, some race customers will be running it this year, options will include proper traction control, wideband support, launch control, shift cut etc.

Pretty sure elise parts have an ecu on the way too, not sure if thats DBW?

DBW…

=Dubious Build & Warranty?

:sick:

Eliseparts and Track Club are working together on that one Boothy.

I believe GEMS are putting it into production for them. Not a cheap do and difficult to see where the return on the investment is coming from.

I agree entirely that it is a much better solution than the remapped T4e but not a solution that many people will pay the extra for.

I think looking at the specs of each and assuming the Emerald will come in at ~�850-�900 I think I would rather go for the EP one. Once you’re spending that sort of money an extra couple of hundred quid is worth it for all the extra features, etc. IMHO.

I’ve been desperately wanting someone to sort out an affordable ECU that will control all the Yota variants but that’s just not gonna happen. The current state of affairs can only be a bad thing for owners.

/2p

Dan

Dan

I think you hit the nail on the head with “target market”.

95% of the market is road use combined with a bit of track day use.

As an outsider looking in it seems many suppliers are observing the gains owners can get from modifying the toyota engine. The problem is that without the right ECU map the modifications are worthless from a performance perspective. So the ECU and map are as important as the modification being sold.

[quote=trackclub]Cable throttle only by the looks of it, this will be largely due to technology behind it and the costs of type approval with drive by wire issues. It’s much harder to do the job the T4E dies. We’re involved with a development of a proper plug & play ECU as a T4E replacement and it’s nearly a six figure project.

There are significant benefits for track and race use over even a remapped stock ECU - even though the stock one can be remapped it’s very limited in terms of resolution and functionality but for the average road user I tend to agree that a factory ECU remap is probably OK. A drive by wire compatible ECU that doesn’t involve hacking the wiring or having CAN issues will easily cost the other side of �1k

If you want to start playing around with induction, manifolds, cam kits, supercharger pulleys, injectors, compression ratio etc etc then a ‘proper’ ECU is your only option. The better Exige race cars tend to be running Motec but this is very expensive. We should have similar functionality to Motec available on a plug and play basis soon, some race customers will be running it this year, options will include proper traction control, wideband support, launch control, shift cut etc.
[/quote]

Nowt difficult about changing to a cable throttle body.

All this does is give you the ability to screw your engine and place the blame somewhere else…other than yourself…

Someone please show me how this ecu is better than the stock oem EFI vs a custom tune and post up a dyno sheet showing the performance gains vs money spent…

Show me one 2ZZ powered Lotus making over 350 rwhp with this ecu…

Unless you are a real tuner with computer skills and your own dyno you’d have to be mental not to get a reflash vs a new ecu and it’s base maps to start with. I have never seen a aftermarket ecu drive as smoothly as a reflashed ecu, there is just too much R&D into the oem ecu…but I’d like to be proven wrong. Show me.

Exactly why I WON’T be tampering with my OEM 260 ECU !
If I ever need a remap it,ll be on a cheap 220 ECU which can be sourced cheaply …

[quote=jfk]Exactly why I WON’T be tampering with my OEM 260 ECU !
If I ever need a remap it,ll be on a cheap 220 ECU which can be sourced cheaply … [/quote]

I have one sat here, taps CN’s upgrade :wink:

[quote=roadboy]Eliseparts and Track Club are working together on that one Boothy.

I believe GEMS are putting it into production for them. Not a cheap do and difficult to see where the return on the investment is coming from.

I agree entirely that it is a much better solution than the remapped T4e but not a solution that many people will pay the extra for.

I think looking at the specs of each and assuming the Emerald will come in at ~�850-�900 I think I would rather go for the EP one. Once you’re spending that sort of money an extra couple of hundred quid is worth it for all the extra features, etc. IMHO.

I’ve been desperately wanting someone to sort out an affordable ECU that will control all the Yota variants but that’s just not gonna happen. The current state of affairs can only be a bad thing for owners.

/2p

Dan

Dan [/quote]

the EP one will be a proper T4E replacement so will work on the 1ZZ as well, CAN protocols will be maintained and because it’s pure plug and play we’ll probably do an option to try it and if you don’t think it’s better then I’ll refund you and swap back.

[quote=jfk]Exactly why I WON’T be tampering with my OEM 260 ECU !
If I ever need a remap it,ll be on a cheap 220 ECU which can be sourced cheaply … [/quote]

your oem260 ECU is the same as a cheap 220 ECU, it just has a few different settings, if you fry one they cost the same to replace…