ECU Recall

I’m one of the rare breeds still using the 177bhp version (for 2 more weeks anyway…)ECU was replaced on Friday and the car actually feels much sharper now. Still get pops, bangs and flames but the car feels slightly smoother at slower speeds.All only temporary as I’m having it replaced with the Emerald!Has anyone else with the 177 found similar results.Simon PS S/S exhaust, no cat

My 178 car had the new ECU last week.Went to Silverstone yesterday and had exactly the same as Jason. Was okay on the road, but on track it happened on the 2nd lap and carried on doing it all day, so I had to switch to the Scoob.Rev limiter cut in at 5500rpm because it reckons it has detected a misfire. I haven’t had any hesitation or other noticeable problems before.I’m interested to know how many people are getting this misfire.Going to replace it with the original ECU this week until they can actually figure out what’s going on.Was going to get the 190 upgrade. But after the problems reported with Pesky’s, Jason’s and my car I might give up and go for Emerald instead.From what I understand the fire problems only affect cars with catalysts, so I’m not that concerned.So who has had the new ECU, and had no problems. Of those people who has taken it on track and still had no problems?Mark

Took the Exige to Hethel yesterday after problems with ECU cutting power after sensing misfire.They found that the rear wheel sensor was disconnected,now connected,driving fine,apologies this was not spotted on Thursday last week.Spoke to Neil Turner he explained ECU recall in more detail.As technical bulletin stated engine should be more tractable at low revs-I can confirm that is definately the case.ECU needs to learn engine characteristics but they are concerned about putting too much mileage on customers cars.The problem is after driving back yesterday you forgive Lotus and their internal chaosas the finished product (almost) just keeps making you feel good about everything.Jason

quote:Originally posted by BT52:Was going to get the 190 upgrade. But after the problems reported with Pesky’s, Jason’s and my car I might give up and go for Emerald instead.From what I understand the fire problems only affect cars with catalysts, so I’m not that concerned.So who has had the new ECU, and had no problems. Of those people who has taken it on track and still had no problems?MarkIf you’re not bothered about the liklihood of invaliding your Lotus warranty, I would definately go for the Emerald ECU plus vernier pulleys (for starters!), rather than the Lotus 190 upgrade. Difficulty is of course, Emerald’s well desrved popularity, resulting in a few weeks lead time for fitting & rolling road set-up!I’ve stll not driven my car any distance, since the new ECU was fitted - holiday last week, & this week having rear toe-links fitted & a few engine compartment ventilation mods done. Will be collecting it on Friday, with a view to putting some miles on over the weekend.

quote:Originally posted by jason:The problem is after driving back yesterday you forgive Lotus and their internal chaosas the finished product (almost) just keeps making you feel good about everything.JasonI’m confused! Is your car okay now?

Pesky!What engine cooling mods are you doing?Mike

quote:Originally posted by miketurn:Pesky!What engine cooling mods are you doing?MikeMikeyNothing at all fancy - just opening up the grills where the reversing/fog lights live! I think you’ve already done this?Planning to pop down to Oulton next week, to say hello to you & Brendan. Driving there myself, the following Tuesday - hopefully it won’t be as “crowded” as your day is likely to be! [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/wink.gif[/image]

Young Pesk-jibBe cool to see ya!What track day have you managed to scam yourself on to??Mike

PeskyThe car ran fine all the way home-in fact best time to date !I assume it is all ok now-but then it was fine before-subject to possible fires.I listened to the car on the Hethel circuit when they were testing and it pulled right through the suspect zone.So the answer is-yes all is calm-but do not shout too loudly or someone will issue a recall and spoil the moment.I would still like to know if the upgrade is worth the effort and will the disadvantages-oil consumption etc -outweigh the power hike.I hope Lotus read this thread and realise how poor communication breeds disgruntled owners.Jason

quote:Originally posted by miketurn:What track day have you managed to scam yourself on to??Oi MikeyA few regulars will be there too [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image] http://www.track-action.co.uk/homefrmr.htm

Copied from the Official Lotus bbsNick AdamsMember posted 12 August 2002 21:48 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi All, taking them from the top:Brendan, The new software does require the wheel speed sensor input to the ECU. If the sensor is disconnected or non-functional the system will recognise this and impose a 5500rpm rev limit until it is fixed.Mark, the stutter at 5400rpm was not really a misfire, and certainly not anything bad enough to cause a catalyst to overheat. This software eliminates the stutter, and coincidentally introduces a misfire detection system which looks for serious misfires due to things like ailed coils or plugs and takes appropriate action when it senses one to protect the catalyst from overheating. Sadly experience has shown that some Exige/340R drivers are insensitive enough to fail to notice when their cars are running on 3 or even in some cases 2 cylinders and we have therefore had to introduce this feature.Meat, the system will reduce popping and banging to a minimum, the chances are your car will suffer from the stutter, it’s due to a glitch in the software which is common to all Exiges and 340R’s. Some cars suffered itmore often than others because one of the factors that triggered it was was position the engine stopped in and some engines are ore prone to stopping in the wrong place than others…Hi Paffi, yep, yours was one of the cars which forced us to take this action…David, the ECU’s are either direct replacements or just your existing unit re-programmed. The ECU warranty will be 12months from the date the car is updated as I understand it, but you may need to clarify this with customer services as I may be wrong… Roland, sorry to hear of your problems, I am certain the new software is not to blame as we have tested it to death, witness the delay getting it out to you. I guess that re-activating the decel fuel cut-off has highlighted some set-up error in your car which was masked previously. Get your dealer to check the throttle balance and throttle freedom of movement carefully.David, it may take a few miles for the ECU to re-learn it’s settings, but not more than twenty or thirty. The general opinion amongst people who drove the new software before we released it was it made the car free-er revving and more responsive, crisper if you like. Hope you agree, although I will grant you the differences are small…Cheers, Nick

ok… had the ECU changed yesterday at LRV… only drove it home so not really noticed any differences.oh yes, and the gunmetal wheels fitted with the 48’s… looks better than the black, well in my opinion anyway [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]At Hethel tomorrow and Saturday (getting the long awaited motorsport engine cover fitted) and track on Saturday, so will soon see if anything is different.JohnO

Why am I a ‘junior’ member still… is it cos of my youth and dashing good looks!!!Or that Pesky is soooooo much the elder statesman!!!

quote:Originally posted by JohnO:Why am I a ‘junior’ member still… You’ve not posted enough yet JohnO. I think you need 30. [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/smile.gif[/image]

Latest on my car is that the wheel sensor isn’t working (according to the new ECU).I’ll be interested to hear of anyone else who has this problem. I’m surprised this would only cause the 5500rpm rev limit when used hard on the track rather than all the time.But I don’t really understand what it does…At least I have a solution in the meantime (Thanks Russ)Mark[This message has been edited by BT52 (edited 16 August 2002).]

Where EXACTLY is this wheel sensor??BT52 - glad you’ve got the motor back!

quote:Originally posted by miketurn:Where EXACTLY is this wheel sensor??BT52 - glad you’ve got the motor back!Rear left wheel. Well, we haven’t got it yet. I had it, but then I had the problem at Silverstone so took it back. Picking it up again tonight, but it will be back again at some point for more ECU stuff.

quote:Originally posted by BT52: I had the problem at Silverstone so took it back. Picking it up again tonight, but it will be back again at some point for more ECU stuff.Ah! I’ve been looking online at Exige and 340R info since seeing yours and EVO’s cars on Monday as I’m thinking of changing my current car for more of a track day toy - I’m the Porker 928 driver. So far I’m looking at Caterham Superlights and the Exige, next step will be to set up some test drives [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]Glad to hear yours is in the process of getting sorted. [This message has been edited by Whoozit (edited 16 August 2002).]

quote:Originally posted by BT52:Rear left wheel. Err… no, sorry. The left rear wheel sensor is for the speedo, the RIGHT rear wheel sensor is for the overun.Funny you should mention this, as I have literally just arrived home after picking my car up & running it for the first time since the ECU was swapped. At first all was well - revving freely up to 7500+rpm, & to my initial delight, loads of pops & bangs on the overun, even though the sensor has been re-connected. Next blast through the gears & I get the bloody misfire/rev limiter at 5500rpm. so I stop the car, turn the engine off & wait 30 seconds before setting off again. Perfect up to 7500 - back off, smile at the pops & bangs, then foot back on the gas …as far as 5500rpm - bloody limiter again!So I decide to return to LRV, for them to run the monitor checks & I intend suggesting they double check that the overun sensor is working. I arrive at LRV to be greeted by their FD & surprise, surprise MR Anwar Ali, Lotus CEO! Now that’s what I call service!!! We exchange sincere pleasantries, & soon a LRV technician takes my car into the workshop for diagnostic checks etc.Bingo - the overun sensor connections were “minging” with crud accumulated during the 18 months I had run the car with it disconnected. So, the new ECU detects the popping & banging as a misfire, & then limits the revs to 5500.Drove the car 20 miles home, much of it through Rivington (Commonwealth Games cycling area) at a rather brisk pace & being able to frequently rev up to 7000 & let the engine overun for 300 or 400 yards. Absolutely no problem (so far!!!), but hardly a pop was to be heard [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/frown.gif[/image]Assuming the car behaves on the road for the ensuing week, the next big test will be at Oulton Park on the 28th!Finally, I must again thank the team at LRV for dropping everything else to sort me out, when I returned unexpectedly - I hope mr Ali was also impressed [image]http://www.exiges.com/ubb/NonCGI/images/icons/grin.gif[/image]

And if LRV are reading this…Trudy is still waiting for the return of her CAT which was taken off during her 190 upgrade at the beginning of this year !!!