Don't laugh.....Winter tyres on an Exige?

After last winters fun and games on the road (nearly died in my Volvo C70) plus my A048’s needing replacing I’m thinking of some winter tyres, anyone tried them on their exige?

I’ve got some Vredestein Wintrac’s on my Landcruiser and they are amazing, better than my old tyres with snow chains plus they’re not any louder than normal tyres on the dry winter days.

ok…just getting some price and having a problem on sizes for the fronts. Basically I can get 195/55 R16’s which arent the same size as the Yoko’s I currently have which are 195/50 R16.

Anyone know if 55’s fit?

A 185 or 175 x 55 would be no problem and the narrower tire would be better in bad conditions

You could just try A039’s which are fab but not what you might call cheap

Good in snow?

The Vredsteins only come in 195/55…do you think these will fit?

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 185/55 R16 87T XL M+S marking

Less than �80 each

Hankook Icebear W300 175/50 R16 77H 4PR M+S marking

Less than �65 each

The 55 profile will be 20mm large on diameter approx if that helps :wink:

Lets do a snow covered track day!!! :smiley:

snow tyres on front, slicks on back and go skating :stuck_out_tongue:

I did a TD at Brands once and they sent a gritter round at the start of the day!!

Looking back it was the worst thing I ever did, the bloody salt got everywhere. I ended up refurbing my wishbones after that!

the slightly taller profile should be ok, but as suggested get maybe a narrower tyre that gives you the correct rolling radius?
If you really narrow get some elise front wheels as well :wink:

[quote=Whiteysback]After last winters fun and games on the road (nearly died in my Volvo C70) plus my A048’s needing replacing I’m thinking of some winter tyres, anyone tried them on their exige?

I’ve got some Vredestein Wintrac’s on my Landcruiser and they are amazing, better than my old tyres with snow chains plus they’re not any louder than normal tyres on the dry winter days. [/quote]

I have had a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 2 tyres on my Exige since last September as I use it every day.

I could only manage to get the fronts in 205/16/50…found the tyres absolutely amazing in the wet…they weren’t too bad in snowy conditions either.

�330 for a set fitted!!

I managed to get 8000miles out of the rears on an aggressive set up. The fronts are still going even after a trackday at Angelsey, they’re on approx 15k miles.

The new rears seem to be better on the wear but I have had the geo tweaked, but they have also covered a trackday now and a total of 6k miles…I reckon I can get 10k out of these rears…I drive fast everywhere…apart from when I had the accident last month :astonished:

Blimey �330 is good value. Your Uniroyals sound great for the rain but I’m thinking of taking the Exige to the ski slopes this winter so need some winter specific tyres.

Thanks for the replies - looks like I need to stick to 50 profile and not 55 then albeit skinnier like 205 or less.

Ive recently fitted some Khumo KU31’s to the exige on my spare rims and they are superb in wet conditions I could not believe the difference from A048’s. Dont seem to have lost much noticeable tracktion in the dry either.
Not sure about snow tho.

I think people are confusing proper winter tires e.g Pirelli Snowsport/Sottozero with all season tires such as Eagle F1’s or Conti Sport Contact 3’s.

The Pirellis work best in low temps where even the likes of a Eagle F1 would be struggling for grip! Don’t get me started on people who think it’s safe to drive around on 888/48 in the middle of winter!

I run a set on my spare wheels for November>March and they’re great tyres, they lack a little initial feedback but I can put up with that for the superior grip when temps are low.

Neil.

[quote=blackstone]

I have had a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 2 tyres on my Exige since last September as I use it every day.

I could only manage to get the fronts in 205/16/50…found the tyres absolutely amazing in the wet…they weren’t too bad in snowy conditions either.

�330 for a set fitted!!

I managed to get 8000miles out of the rears on an aggressive set up. The fronts are still going even after a trackday at Angelsey, they’re on approx 15k miles.

The new rears seem to be better on the wear but I have had the geo tweaked, but they have also covered a trackday now and a total of 6k miles…I reckon I can get 10k out of these rears…I drive fast everywhere…apart from when I had the accident last month :astonished: [/quote]

Tal, in fairness you spent most of the Anglesey day facing the wrong way :wink:

[quote=Boothy]
Tal, in fairness you spent most of the Anglesey day facing the wrong way :wink:[/quote]

Lol…they’re the tyres for me then!

[quote=-Neil-]I think people are confusing proper winter tires e.g Pirelli Snowsport/Sottozero with all season tires such as Eagle F1’s or Conti Sport Contact 3’s.

The Pirellis work best in low temps where even the likes of a Eagle F1 would be struggling for grip! Don’t get me started on people who think it’s safe to drive around on 888/48 in the middle of winter!

I run a set on my spare wheels for November>March and they’re great tyres, they lack a little initial feedback but I can put up with that for the superior grip when temps are low.
Neil.[/quote]

Yes - proper winter tyres are the only way to go when the weather drops to 7c or below.