Donington Today

So how was it guys? Was trying to find the thread where you’d mentioned you were going and got the following from the search

“The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: donington.”

That’s my kind of forum :sunglasses:

I tell you what I could get used to this ‘arrive and drive’ business. Wafted up the M1 this morning in comfort, park up in the paddock to find my car sitting in the pit garage waiting for me. Really great to see the car after not setting eyes on it for several months…god I love that car :sunglasses: Great to see Clive too, finally back home in an Exige, lovely example it is too. Some other friendly faces knocking around the paddock too :wink:

Out onto circuit in the usual greasy conditions typically of first thing in the morning this time of year. Lots of interesting cars out including a full-fat Dallara LMP1 car, that Judd V10 wow!! The car felt extraordinarily fast after my period of abstinence (OK not as fast at that Dallara) and still unfamiliar on the new Ohlins. Matt was with me today to help me do some setup on the dampers and after we’d both had a drive we stiffened up the bump and I went out again to get my head around it. I started to up the pace and the car was feeling good. Brakes in particular were epic with fresh pads and disks, and my understanding of the handling was starting to come together. Matt had noticed a vibration which I had detected too but a cursory check over did not reveal anything.

Out on circuit again, trying to keep up with one of the Cup UK racers, but as I approach Craner’s the power disappeared, literally engine stopped. I coasted on the grass to the right out of harm’s way, and after failing to get it going, had the embarrassment of causing a stoppage and getting towed back. Two problems; inboard CV gone again and a fuelling issue which appeared to right itself as the car started once back in the pits. We managed to beg some bits to fix the CV and I went out again only to have the fuelling issue happen again. This time it died half way down Starkeys so I pulled onto the GP loop and tried to get the Marshals to leave the car there,…but they’d already red-flagged the session and I had the tow of shame again :frowning:

The car needs to be 100% for Anglesey so Jonny organised to put it on the wagon and drop it at Matt’s on the way to Brands tonight. Thanks to both of them for accommodating its movement at a moments notice, great service.

So all in all a pretty frustrating day with two problems to resolve :

1. The fuelling looks like either the fuel-relay, one of the pumps or wiring. The relay had a bit of corrosion on one of the terminals but was also quite hot so maybe one of the pumps is on its way out or it could just be the relay??
  2. The CV failure. I rather fear that the running the car softer with longer travel is causing even nastier driveshaft angles under load as a brand new tripod failed pretty spectacularly in a short period. Yes I could run stiffer springs etc but right now I’m minded to move the 46mm Ohlins on as an awesome setup for an S2 owner. I’m sure given time they could be awesome on my car but I just don’t have the time/energy/money for the development, I need something turn-key and proven.

OK so sparky bits first, I’d hazard a guess at water ingress. The 044 pulls a fair wedge of power, couple that with some moisture in the relay and any resistance at the pin and you’ll overheat the relay in quick order. Also check you have locking nuts with nice fresh nylon bits on the 044, as I’ve had mine rattle it’s connections loose.

As for the CV, it’s a tough one. I’m going to put some heat telltale strips on mine. I’d suggest double checking engine position, then test that you still have float in the shaft assembly when you sweep the suspension through its arc to the point where it’s most compressed driveline wise.

T

Ben

That fuelling issue sounds exactly the same as I have had …

I would check the following

• Multi pin connector behind the seats, Mine had corroded and was giving a bad connection -
  • Standard pump … mine was on its last legs and didn’t lift into the swirl pot every now and then -
  • Fuse / relay connections corroded or bad relay - check all of them, not had that issue myself but had the bad relay problem on the orange car - I found an old brown relay that got stuck

Tripode … what grease you using ?

I’m loving that :laughing:

Thanks guys for the input and ideas…and inevitable humour.

I’ll make sure Matt sees this thread.

We did as you suggest Tim re driveshaft angles and it’s not good. My previous dampers had stiffer springs, much more aggressive bump damping and with helpers and bump stops, a shorter throw. This ultimately has to reduce the amount the car rolls and the attendant driveshaft angle for a given lateral load right?

Hmmm what to do?

They had the proper grease in Andy, not badger brand!

Sorry to here about the problems Ben. On the upside better to find out now than at Anglesey.
Can’t offer any advice on the fuel issue but what you are saying about the dampers makes some sense. Raise the ride height slightly?

I’m not convinced the suspension is the issue here mate, as the flawed driveshaft angle really is an offset front to back rather than up and down. However if the engine has moved and you change the required length, when the wishbones sweep through their arc you have the possibility for two issues.

If the gap has been closed, the tripode can smash into the bottom of the cup (you’ll see witness marks). OR if the gap has opened, at full droop / compression where the assembly is fully extended the tripode is coming out of the cup, but this is harder to check.

Since you had the engine out you’ve seen two failures, this would be where my attention is before I blamed shocks.

Yes indeedy hope you get it sorted successfully Ben - Donington is a circuit that puts lots of loading onto suspension bits…

Yeah getting rid of the Ohlins will be a step backwards for sure. Go with Tims tests and see if something is a miss with the shafts. Just because you have softer springs doesn’t mean the car will roll more. The Ohlins damper will control the spring better, hence it allows you to run softer ones and improve the handling.

I think this is more likely as the tripod was smashed to shit.

Sorry to hear Ben… what a frustrating day! :frowning:

Something definitely not right with the inboard CV… and seems strange that it’s an inboard CV that’s going… I’ve never had an issue with an inboard one, and have only done 1 outer CV (and that was because the grease had dried up over a period of not being used).

I’d agree with Tim, get the suspension off and get the arcs of travel checked - this might be strange but are you sure Matt put the right driveshafts back on the right side ? - I’m not sure how much difference there is on the driveshaft lengths on the Edwards conversion ?

I wouldn’t have thought there was enough movement in terms of engine positioning on the mounts to cause this…?

so I blew a joint after a torque steady failed and the engine shifted slightly

T

Does the Edwards conversion have mounts fore and aft of the the engine ?

Yeah I’m almost certain.

Yup, steadys on the front and back of the motor, so unless one has failed there shouldn’t be a problem there. And both drive shafts are the same length. Never had an inboard CV just fail (until Ben’s) unless the the boots come off or split and lost its grease and overheated. possible cause could be the retaining ring on the outboard cv end of the shaft failing and allowing the whole shaft to move inwards and then bottoming out.

Hope you get it sorted Ben.

Cheers Steve

Thanks for confirming Steve… I thought there would be :slight_smile:

Hopefully at least you/Matt have a bit to go on to try and diagnose Ben !

Yes massively appreciate all the input lads. I’ll keep this thread updated…