Donington Park : Why the hell not day : Friday 4th Sept

I’m in number 30

Still a few places left if anyone fancies a day off on Friday and a bit of hooning.

All set to be a good day with a healthy crowd of exigers :sunglasses:

There is a race weekend on, so I am preying that we don’t have to many race car dick heads who think their shit don’t stink

Afraid I’ll have to postpone meeting you guys tomorrow.
Sadly keeping up my 100% non attendance record…

Sorry to hear that Rob,…noisy day?

I booked Gandhi’s in case we fancy it,…we can always cancel it if everyone wants to head home.

Hope all is well falla’s, nice day so far for it :thumbup:

Home knackered with a smile on my face as Dave predicted. Great to see everyone today. I’ll try and write more when I’m not so shattered, till then…

Double trouble :sunglasses:

Proper Gay, Love It :smiley:

Want one :sunglasses:

A nice dry day at Donington for a shakedown of Bens’ new toy and a bit more seat time for me in mine… Bens car looked great and I foresee us having a lot of fun in these little things…

Still loving mine, it’s so communicative and it feels like I improve my driving every time I get in the car.

This pretty much sums it up… evo Track Evening in association with Sky Insurance - Caterham Seven 420 R - YouTube

Yup great conditions for the first drive and shakedown of my R300. It really is looking great in its blue wrap and new wheels etc, every bit the proper little racecar that it is.

So much to take in as you clamber in for the first time. Sure I’ve had a bit of time in 7’s recently but this is my very own one! I’d been told that the brakes were all fresh and to bed them in a bit and then come in to get them bled again. They were not right though with a very troubling lack of stopping power so there was a bit of time whilst BAT sorted them. It dented my confidence in the brakes and I had to gradually built up again through the day. There still a few bits to sort out on the car but once the brakes were sorted it was running really sweet. The handling is spot on, engine feels stong and that Sadev gearbox really makes the car…no regrets in going the extra mile and doing that. Did I mention the gearbox…never get bored of that flat shift and then banging down through the gears into the Esses :sunglasses:

The main issue thrown up by the shakedown was with my driving not the car tbh :laughing: There’s nowhere to hide driving the Caterham; I think that’s why you really feel like seat time pays dividends. It makes no attempt to cover up your failings or pussy-footing about, but rewards a firm-hand and commitment. Dave and I had some fun on circuit together and whilst he was clearly sandbagging (so that we stayed together) it allowed him to give me some valuable advice once we were back in the pits. I had a really solid session late in the day where I tried to relax, concentrate and take on board the advice Dave had given me. I strung together a couple of half decent laps and probably went around Donny quicker than I’ve ever been (not that I was timing…or even filming). Soooo much more to come though, the true differential between me/Dave and some of the other R300 racers out only served to illustrate that. As we headed out again to soak up the last 10-15mins of the day I was at last starting to gel with the car and with Dave filling all my mirrors we were set for a frantic end to the day. The BatCat out behind me and Dave put it in the kitty litter on our out lap which ended our fun and the day was done…time to put the cars away until the noisy day :frowning:

As we put the cars away Jonny could not help but comment that all four Lotuses he had in storage were broken; mine, a V6 with brake issues, AndyD’s (clutch failed + dodgy damper) and ChrisB who had a CV boot fail on the Honda 211 at the end of the day,…still love my Exige though, we’ll get to it soon enough.

A few bits to sort then before the next outing. I really struggled to get comfy with the HANS and the shell seat, so I’m probably gonna go for a bag seat like Dave which has the added benefit of sitting you lower. Downside is that unless you’re my uniquely ‘athletic’ build :smiley: then you won’t be having a go. I also want to get some blue on the front so its more easily identifiable in mirrors…so Dave can see if he lost me again :laughing: Talking of athletic I think I need to get a bit fitter too, I was getting tired in the car and I’m bloody knackered today.

Great to see everyone and a surprise to see Randy there. I think Stan enjoyed his pax with Randy in Andy’s orange car :open_mouth:

Like Dave said, we’re gonna have a lot of fun in these little things :smiley:

Brilliant Ben. How about a yellow nose on the car?

Soon you’ll have the best of both worlds, drive you’re Exige to track then jump in the Caterham. And if the mood takes you maybe a few laps in the Exige…

Yeah I might have to photoshop it, perhaps matching nose/cage?

I can imagine that you too could be in such a choice position :smiley:

That’s what I’m thinking too :smiley:

So we’re going from possibly buying one between 4, to one each!

Great day and really good to meet up with Ben, Dave, Sean and Chris again … so pleased Ben got good time in his R300 :slight_smile:

Orange car was running well but we were chasing a handling problem all day, which is why is was good of Randy to take it out … he confirmed something not right and suspected dampers … he did however confirm its making good usable power and demonstrated that to Stan …

Clutch issue is unknown as well, we had what sounded like an overthrow problem but during the afternoon it got worse and in the last 30 mins of the day I lost the ability to get a gear easy … so day over … these manual clutch things are sooo overrated :wink:

Hope to be back for Anglesey next year …

Thanks Andy,…great to see you too.

If you do find yourself back here again let us know eh,…Easter seems a looooong way away!

Yeah we all get it bad. I’m desperate for another hit already :clap:

I’m glad you guys had a good blast especially as the weather was good and so few cars were on track.

Unfortunately Bat10 (9 was in for repairs) had an issue in 5th and 6th gear, it would cut out as if i was bouncing off the limiter, and i wasn’t, honest! The mechanic couldn’t look at it as he was busy attending to a blue and black R300 as the customer didn’t like the feel of the brakes :wink:
eventually, after the instructor and the mechanic confirmed the issue a replacement ECU was tried and i went out in the pitlane to see the light turn RED for lunch :lolno:

After lunch got 1 lap in, 4th and 5th gear in the quick bends, the Caterham requires commitment and rewards you for it, but then the gremlins struck again. I tried to shoehorn into a standard R300 not an SV, but no good, all the 620R’s were booked so it was an early bath for me.

Johnny has apologised and given credit for the day which is fair of them, i’ll use on the Lotus though as i didn’t catch the Caterham bug!
DaveP was flying in his and Ben was enjoying Xmas morning, fair play guys.

I did find myself wandering into the garage with the Dayglo Exige every hour or so just to get a fix, i can’t wait to go back on Oct 6th with mine.

My Bat…

Gutted that you didn’t get chance to enjoy the Caterham properly Chris, hopefully you’ll have another go at some point, they really are some fun once you get the hang of them… will see if I can pop down to see you at Oulton if I get chance :slight_smile: