Desperately seeking S1 :)

Hi all,

Thanks for welcoming me into the forum, hopefully my stay will be a long and enjoyable one!

I�ve decided to take the step up to an S1 Exige from my S1 Elise because here in NZ they�re introducing new importation emissions standards at the start of next year that will mean I have to give up my dream of ever having an Exige in NZ (there are none in the country currently). So long story short, I have until about October to get one on the boat over here so I�m starting to do my research now.

The spec I�m after (although not a hard-requirement, it�s something I�m working to at the moment) is as follows:

1. Colour in Spice Yellow or Titanium, would also consider New Aluminium
  2. After one in good overall nick. The odd stonechip doesn�t bother me, but I want one that�s been well looked after and although it doesn�t matter if it�s been tracked so long as the proper care/maintenance has been observed.
  3. NO Aircon
  4. Sports seats and harnesses ideally as it�s going to be used for trackwork
  5. Well maintained on the suspension/brakes front. Mild corrosion damage on the wishbones is easily repaired but don�t want one that�s looking like a scrap yard�s rust pile in that area.
  6. Mileage Ideally from about 15,000-25,000, or with engine maintenance to mean that I can expect to get a few years out of it before requiring a major engine overhaul (assuming that the VHPD rebuild at 40,000mi is true)
  7. A black, blue or grey interior… no reds (although can retrim if needed)
  8. Would be nice if it�s had some GOOD work done on it like an Emerald, exhaust, shift linkage/toelinks etc. But not essential. Will be adding an Emerald myself as a matter of course at some stage anyway.

I think that�s about what I�m after in my list. Looking at cars in the 16000-18000 pound region. Obviously I may have to compromise if the right car doesn�t turn up by October as my ultimate deadline remains having one registered and on the road by Christmas. If I don�t, I miss out altogether.

Hopefully I�ll find someone who knows someone thinking of selling or who can give me some valuable advice on the topic as I�m a relative newbie as far as the Exige world goes (although am well-versed in Elises, I�ve never really thought about getting an Exige in this quickly until I found out about the emissions law change).

Anyway, if there�s any information you can give me, it would be very useful to me and would be very gratefully received.

Thanks,

George.

Sounds quite a lot like mine - see the Silver S1 in the “for sale” section.

Bryn

Good luck, same spec as mine. You love it when you get it.

Sounds quite a lot like mine - see the Silver S1 in the “for sale” section.

Bryn

Indeed. What silver is it exactly? Is that the “Arctic Silver” ?

I’m still not keen on the Aircon cars, even though I see yours has had the compressor removed. I hate the look of the extra vents in the dash and the way they’ve rearranged the switchgear etc

Fluffy, yours looks very droolworthy, I’ve never been much of a fan of yellow cars, but it just WORKS on the Exige… as does Silver/Titanium

yes yellow exiges are the best

[image]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c7/Nath-Exige/SUC50193.jpg[/image]

Question: What’s te deal with the front brake ducts on Exiges? Some of them I’ve seen appear to be open, and on others closed over. What’s the story?

All Cars have the air duccts closed as they leaft the factory but some owners choose to open them to increase airlow over the brakes.

yes yellow exiges are the 3rd best

1. Black
  2. Orange
  3. Yellow.

IMHO

All Cars have the air duccts closed as they leaft the factory but some owners choose to open them to increase airlow over the brakes.

Thanks Colin,

I’d definitely be opening them up… I HATe false vents on cars! have onyl just resisted not hacking mine open at the rear on my S1.

Am planning on sending my forthcoming Exige on a diet when I get it too, but first I just want to settle on the right one

yes yellow exiges are the best

[image]> http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c7/Nath-Exige/SUC50193.jpg> [/image]

Nath, you seem to have jack-knifed the caravan you’re towing with your Exige… learn to drive!!!

If you open the vents up you will have to do something about the wheel arch liners!!!

Have you seen the one on ebay? 30k miles item no 140122896001

Nothing to do with me btw! Just happen to see it.
Gav

What silver is it exactly? Is that the “Arctic Silver” ?

Yes, mine is Arctic Silver (colour code B92).

Good luck with the search.

Bryn

[quoteI’d definitely be opening them up… I HATe false vents on cars! have onyl just resisted not hacking mine open at the rear on my S1.[/quote]

I’d look to see whether its really needed from a cooling point of view first, as there is a downside to the amount of extra muck and stuff it hoover into the brakes.

I understand excessive cooling is exactly why they were blanked off in the original Motorsport Elises.

Function over Form.

Ian

I understand excessive cooling is exactly why they were blanked off in the original Motorsport Elises.

Function over Form.

Ian

Fair call… maybe I’ll have to hold-fire on the hacking for a bit. I do have a set of MMCs sitting spare though… perhaps with some decent cooling, these could be made to work on an Exige?

Have you seen the one on ebay? 30k miles item no 140122896001

Nothing to do with me btw! Just happen to see it.
Gav

Yeah I saw that one on PistonHeads… a LITTLE high on mileage for my liking, but as with all of them, yours included Bryn, I’ll keep them in mind… as I said, it’s early days yet… if I can’t find the one I’m after by the October,I’ll have to take what I can get.

Anyone know anything about this car?

Looks reasonably tidy, got the right interior to go with the exterior, looks like it could be a good base.

Anyone know its history?

Looks OK from the photos, but not really a long spec of goodies really. I’d want to see what items were actually included in the “factory 192bhp upgrade” - it that a different exhaust?; and I’d check the leading edges of the rear clam by the sills - it looks like light duty armourfend which won’t hold up as well as either the official fix or various other mods.

Looks OK from the photos, but not really a long spec of goodies really. I’d want to see what items were actually included in the “factory 192bhp upgrade” - it that a different exhaust?; and I’d check the leading edges of the rear clam by the sills - it looks like light duty armourfend which won’t hold up as well as either the official fix or various other mods.

Yeah you’re right. Wow, how can you differentiate between proper armourfend and cheapie stuff? I can’t see it myself! Although it’s late and I’ve been staring at my CAd workstation for hours so it’s all rather blurry.

That does look like larger tailpipes than standard.

Can anyone add any things I should be particularly looking for in addition to my spec list above?