Da Edwards Diffuser - Update

I`ve been running one on the Elise for close to a year now and at high speed it does make it a bit more stable. (Although it does stick out a bit at the back).

Just want an Exige to put it on now!

I’m running standard discs, braided hoses, SRF and EBC Green Stuff which I know have been rubished on here but which I find a good compromise for road and track use.

(Also I’m not necessarily interested in extracting maximum on-track performance at the risk of not getting them to work properly on the road where I do most of my miles. I enjoy my track days without having to be the fastest out there and I am hapy to back off or have a rest if the pads get a bit out of sorts (which they rarely do in my experience). Green Stuff works for me and they’re cheap enough to replace regularly.)

However, it does seem odd that the rears are wearing out faster than the fronts.

Regards

RS-14’s ?

The rear pads have less material than the front

Pesky sorry to high-jack yer thread…

83man
interstingly - i have also been running GS pads and have had exactly the same philosophy about them as you. And… i wear the rears at the rate of 3 sets for every 2 front sets… ish… additionally the inner-most pad at the rear gets down to minimum way way quicker than the outer-most… Any similarity for you ?

However, recently I have also been ‘layin’ on them a bit harder (more confidence i suppose ) and have found that they defo don’t work for long when the going gets hot. I’m going to try Mintex 1144 next. And when I replace my discs i’m gonna go full hog and get Pagids.

Try Mintex F4R.
I bought a set, they’re supposed to be better than Pagids, but haven’t tried’em yet.

might just do that bud !! how much for a set ??

Bought them here

Don’t remember exactly but they were something like �95 the front set.

Check out all the specs here

(I should be selling them)

“interstingly - i have also been running GS pads and have had exactly the same philosophy about them as you. And… i wear the rears at the rate of 3 sets for every 2 front sets… ish… additionally the inner-most pad at the rear gets down to minimum way way quicker than the outer-most… Any similarity for you ?”

Exactly that…I guess the rears must be softer if it’s not just happening to me.

“However, recently I have also been ‘layin’ on them a bit harder (more confidence i suppose ) and have found that they defo don’t work for long when the going gets hot.”

Absolutely - couldn’t agree more, and I’ve no intention of defendong Green Stuff as the ultimate track pad, but I still do more road miles than track miles at the mo. As soon as the balance changes I’ll choose different pads.

Back on topic I picked up the diffuser on Tuesday and fitted it last night.

Can’t comment on whether it’s made me quicker round a track yet (have to wait until Monday for that !!) but it looks superb.

Cheers guys - great work.

quick question… iam no genius but can that diffuser actually work with that ride height? i would have thought the car would have to be an inch off the ground to actually have an effect!!!

Well the ride height is lower than the current 111S, which has a Lotus developed diffuser which is higher and shorter. I believe Lotus claim that that has a good effect.

Ian

I found a pic…
[image]http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/pictures/elises2lotus/elise11srear.jpg[/image]

quick question… iam no genius but can that diffuser actually work with that ride height? i would have thought the car would have to be an inch off the ground to actually have an effect!!!

Who cares, they look the dog’s ganglies (as has been said many times before)?

Seriously though, there is some change to the airflow - as Mike says, the rooster tails in the wet are quite something! Most of the cars in the LRSS race series use them, but they do tend to be run at a lower ride height than the road cars. In any event, I suppose (?) it would only be at high speed that any effect would be apparant. Anyone got access to a wind tunnel for free ?

Who cares, they look the dog’s ganglies (as has been said many times before)?

And they make sparks!

Before i lecture… Let me qualify myself…I don’t know stuff-all about aerodynamics…

Everyone on here probably agrees that we fit this diffuser cause it looks the dog’s but… most of us also wonder if it works… and Gavan Kershaw seems to have found that in his case …maybe it does.

I have been wondering about this as well and your post has made me go dig out my old Physics books and college notes to read about fluid dynmics a little… what follows is my discussion…I ain’t no Adrian Newey…

Although some of what follows is physical fact copied from notes and some of it is pure lay-opinion, all of it is how I currently understand it and hope it acts as further catalyst of opinion.

Basically we know we don’t want positive lift… right… so…

Bernoulli’s equation relates the pressure on an object to the local velocity; so as the velocity changes around the object, the pressure changes as well. Mathematically Integrating the pressure variation over the area around the entire object determines the aerodynamic force on the object.

Lift is the component of the aerodynamic force which is perpendicular to the original flow direction of the gas. (The air flow over our car as it moves at blinding speed over the tarmac…

Bernoulli’s equation…

(pressure) + 0.5(density)*(velocity)2 = constant

This equation implies that an increase in pressure must be accompanied by a decrease in velocity, and vice versa.

Now… the diffuser… mmmm…

If you can make the air under your car flow as fast as possible, you will generate negative lift (suction) because the faster the air flows, the lower the pressure. Also the undertrays in our cars smooth this flow and trys to keep it continuous(reducing drag among other things). Also at the rear it slopes up - this will mean that air at the top of the slope is lower pressure than air at the bottom which also helps with what we are trying to achieve (air prefers to move from high to low-pressure regions).

The channels in da Edwards diffuser would seem to me to do two things:

1. Force the airflow into seperate channels and therefore speed it up and so reduce the pressure. (providing negative lift, thats downforce to you bud ! )
  2. Seperate the airflow such that it doesn’t interfere with itself so much as it exits the rear of the car (reducing drag??)

I think this will work regardless of the height from the ground (lowering towards the tarmac would, in my opinion, simply increase the velocities and thus increase the effect.

Now what I can’t say is… will it make a difference that any of us will notice?? Me… i say 'kin right-on man this thing will give me suction so i’m gonna go faster… on the corners

But like I said … i ain’t no Adrian Newey

Rox

Very interesting - particularly after a few pints/brandies with RussT & our respective better halves

So, Mr Rox, are you going to put your dosh where your intellectual gob is (polite Lancs word for mouth ), & buy one of the Da Edwards Diffusers? I only ask coz I’m somewhat p*ssed, & I can’t remember if you’ve got one already - honest!

PS We’ve just been to the “Curry House” booked for our night out “Oop North” on the 12th December

I figure that if I market the bleedin things then I might get one for nowt…

BTW - I drank six cans of beer writin that little lot up… … funny that…

Ohhh and i’m waitin for the Scottish one to be done with the titanium rounded edges…

i’m off for a night cap

Ohhh and i’m waitin for the Scottish one to be done with the titanium rounded edges…

And the tasteful tartan colour scheme? (Tartan a la Burberry for you, methinks )

Respekt !!

I’ve just had a chicken sjobi and a peshwari nan…

Tried my own fluid dynamics with two bottles of Cobra beer…

I don’t need a diffuser to make the ‘wind’ move faster…

The only problem is that suction varies according to the size of the apperture - try your vacuum cleaner with different nozzles - a big nozzle = exige at standard ride height - smaller nozzle = exige at motorsports height

To get the maximum effect the car needs to be lowered, and perhaps some side skirts ???

Wotcha say ??

Very true Rox.
I just have a question… who is Adrian Newey?

I just have a question… who is Adrian Newey?

Details here

[image]http://www.steve-marshall.co.uk/mma/images/full_size/7.jpg[/image]