Colour match on a Motorsport Engine Cover!

Ive just bought a Lotus Motorsport Engine cover for my Exige S1.

Will the match be good enough if I have the cover sprayed on its own without having it ‘blended in’ to have the rest of the car i.e without having to have the surrounding areas on the Exige sprayed in too?

The colour is Quartz…quite forgiving I think if the match is not exact?

Need to ask a friendly bodyshop I guess. Shouldn’t be a major problem to get a good match without touching the other panels.

If you don’t mind me asking, how much did it set you back?

Also, am I right in thinking the MS covers are not hinged, but have quick release fasteners?

I am getting a few bits made up in carbon fibre, I could get a quote for making up a few in Carbon Fibre if anyone is interested

Will the match be good enough if I have the cover sprayed on its own without having it ‘blended in’ to have the rest of the car i.e without having to have the surrounding areas on the Exige sprayed in too?

If you look v.closely at the original cover you’ll see its v.slightly a different shade to the roof

This is because the first one was delaminating in the showroom, even before I bought it.

So the dealers paint job wasn’t perfect*, but I’ve guessed you haven’t noticed 'til now

Problem solved

Tim.

• a replacement ‘original’ from the factory comes unpainted.

Tim

I don’t think he’s referring to the “original” perspex type of cover

Maddog

An “all carbon” cover will be too thin to be any use (It will flex like fook!)

Maddog

thats a shame

Rob,

I know he’s referring to an ms cover. My point is i dont think he’s noticed the difference in shade of the ‘respray’ bit from the rest of the car iyswim (hopefully).

Tim.

Tim

You’re just too subtle for little old me

If you look v.closely at the original cover you’ll see its v.slightly a different shade to the roof

This is because the first one was delaminating in the showroom, even before I bought it.

So the dealers paint job wasn’t perfect*, but I’ve guessed you haven’t noticed 'til now

Problem solved

Tim.

• a replacement ‘original’ from the factory comes unpainted.

Tim,

I wish you hadnt told me that…it sticks out like a sore thumb now I know it was resprayed separately to the car…just joking, its a bloody good match though!

J.

I hate it when someone else (or the previous owner) “reveals” something about your own car!!

I hate it when someone else (or the previous owner) “reveals” something about your own car!!

Dont tell me!!! lol

The Motorsport Engine Cover came direct from Lotus and was �425.99, not including vat, delivery, fixings or paintjob!

I’d best pm in future then. Or just keep schtum

Tim.

The Motorsport Engine Cover came direct from Lotus and was �425.99, not including vat, delivery, fixings or paintjob!

Jeez, so you’ll be spending about �1000 all in then? That would makes a used set of wheels @ �800 look like the bargain of the Century!

Tim.

To be fair to Tim Stevens, the first owner of my car, I think he told me just about everything there was to know. I just didn’t take it all in at the time!

Maddog

Upon reflection, a carbon cover can be used, but I think it needs some sort of strenghtening frame. Perhaps Ang out in Oz can clarify, as he supplied some covers last year. See http://www.exiges.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=28890&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Tim.

Tim contacted me after id handed over my hard earned cash to the second owner saying that if i wanted to know anything about the car to get in touch with him…having already parted with the cash i was scared in case he told me something i didnt want to know…even though i had EVERY bit of paperwork/history with the car!
Ive only just recently spoken to Tim and thankfully he’s given it a clean bill of health!
The more you can gleen from previous owners the better i think!
So thanks for all of the info Tim, keep it coming!

Jeez, so you’ll be spending about �1000 all in then? That would makes a used set of wheels @ �800 look like the bargain of the Century!

And I didnt tell you about the set of Rimstocks and Yokos that ive just bought from Plans Motorsport…another 2k! OUCH!!!

Maddog

Upon reflection, a carbon cover can be used, but I think it needs some sort of strenghtening frame. Perhaps Ang out in Oz can clarify, as he supplied some covers last year. See > http://www.exiges.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=28890&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1 >

the bloke that is doing the work for me has done loads of carbon and fibre glass body kits, I’m sure he’ll be able to strengthen it.Would anyone be interested in swapping there fibre glass one for a Carbon fibre one so that I can make a mould

Got mine from Ang last year and had the boys at Plans Motorsport prep, paint and fit (believe they used their neighboring Ferrari body shop)- I had them use some of the original perspex fittings ie the bottom D piece and the roof hinge (with out damaging original cover - can always reverse if I want to). Had a couple of clips fitted to keep from flexing too much on sides… looks great. Also had them extend the air scoop on roof and blend in with roof so it looks seamless - all done job lot .

M

Got mine from Ang last year and had the boys at Plans Motorsport prep, paint and fit (believe they used their neighboring Ferrari body shop)- I had them use some of the original perspex fittings ie the bottom D piece and the roof hinge (with out damaging original cover - can always reverse if I want to). Had a couple of clips fitted to keep from flexing too much on sides… looks great. Also had them extend the air scoop on roof and blend in with roof so it looks seamless - all done job lot .

M

Got any pics???