Cheap way of getting into a s1?

I spied this on the interwebs.

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/100079/lotus-exige-s1-honda-quaife-sequential-gearbo

£14995 but I suspect some haggling could be had.

I was thinking it could be a “cheap” way to get into a HondaExige? £15k then budget a wedge for a K20 or a lot more for a K20 with a supercharger?

Would the car have ever been road registered? I suspect not…

I have seen that and thought it was a good price. I expect the catch is that it cant be road registered so will only ever be a race/track car, but I could be wrong!

Considering the development the chassis has had its still a good price. Anyone know what spec the engine was that it had in it? A 2.01 at Snetterton is rapid!

The road registering thing was my thought as well. I wonder what you might need to get it road legal…

It’s not a genuine exige, I checked the chassis number ages ago

Interesting! Thanks for info.

That was going to be my first query, as an Elise I think the money is still quite strong unless you have a pile of parts laying around to just bolt in.

My thoughts exactly. If it was a s1 chassis ( it says it is in the advert , but quite clearly incorrect as stated above ) that would have been my next purchase and a rebuilt k20 with supercharger dropped in.

As its not , its kinda a moot point,sadly

If it’s a genuine Motorsport Elise which I doubt it is at that price, I know that some of them were made road legal, after initially being race cars.

So the likely hood is its an elise tub thats got exige thinner composite body parts on it ?

It has the distinctive Motorsport Elise bodywork at the back with the angled cut.

So are we thinking this is a motorsport Elise body? Rather than Copy Exige body?

Well there’s always this one:

Although that’s not a Exige either :crazy:

That one looks reassuringly expensive!

)
The shell is a Motorsport Elise, (probably a copy) which came out before the S1 Exige, so some would say it was the other way round.

€750k … I asked …but he will take offers !

I think I recall this car from the Seloc forums …it was used a bit of a rolling test bed for the company that made various CNC parts … the over the top shifter been one of them …sorry can’t recall the brand etc.

I think we can conclude that there is no ‘cheap’ way into genuine S1 Exige ownership :mrgreen:

Nor should there be!!!

You appear to be correct, I’ll stick to my buy high sell low policy…

One of my all-time favourite Lotus. Mr Pesky disagreed with a passion but I stand by my choice. Saw them race at Donington, albeit not so successfully, but still an awesome car. Which reminds me I’ve not bought a EuroMillions since this lockdown malarkey, started. . . .

You’re missing one vital step from your policy.

Buy High, Spend a shed load of cash on it, Sell Low. Works for me, I’ve got a 100% success rate of avoiding being a millionaire so far.