Challenge for Simon Erland

Simple really, answer the following questions:

1. How many K series engines have you built, personally.
  2. What power and torque did the best 5 make.
  3. Who owns them and how long have they been running.
  4. List any competitive events they have entered and the results.
  5. List the number of standard K parts in a Judd 2.0 engine.

Answers like �you�ll have to wait for the book� are not acceptable.

Bernard

(Also posted on SELOC)

quiet in here too…

A cold howling wind blew thru the empty thread…

Dave

A cold howling wind blew thru the empty thread…

Dave

Queue load farting noise

[image]http://reynolds.ph.man.ac.uk/~sideshownick/Homepage/tumbleweed.gif[/image]

In all fairness, the thread is only a few hours old, so…

…I look for forward to responses in due course

mmmm… is this an allegiance thing ??

What is the relevance of question 5? It is a purpose built race engine. Would anyone care to tell us how many parts Honda reused out of the parts bin for any one of their ground up race engines? Is the Audi R8 just recycled parts too?

Please explain in great detail why the Judd K2000 must be held to a different standard than other ground up race engines. I think 5 short (20 words or less per) crisp reasons would be the minimum.

Please don’t be dolt enough to tell me how many parts are stock in a puss and boots BTCC honda engine, unless you attach the original economic analysis Honda UK performed to decide how much time/cash they’d invest in building. If money were unlimited, Honda’d certainly revise every part too.

beto,

Simon said something along the lines of ‘getting the power is easy… Judd can do it, so can anyone else’ or something. I guess Q5 was to clarify exactly how close to a regular K series the Judd engine is.

What is the relevance of question 5? It is a purpose built race engine. Would anyone care to tell us how many parts Honda reused out of the parts bin for any one of their ground up race engines? Is the Audi R8 just recycled parts too?

Please explain in great detail why the Judd K2000 must be held to a different standard than other ground up race engines. I think 5 short (20 words or less per) crisp reasons would be the minimum.

Please don’t be dolt enough to tell me how many parts are stock in a puss and boots BTCC honda engine, unless you attach the original economic analysis Honda UK performed to decide how much time/cash they’d invest in building. If money were unlimited, Honda’d certainly revise every part too.

That is exactly my point. Simon is holding this engine up as an example of what can be achieved with a K series when in fact probably nothing in the engine is original K.

Bernard

mmmm… is this an allegiance thing ??

No, it’s a picture of tumbleweed

LOL… they do say Tumbleweed is very tolerant to salt tho’

Well there you go then Bernard, Simon’s gotta drop the Judd argument.

In fact shall we add more boundaries to this challenge a little more. If we divide the application of our Exiges into three categories:

1. Mostly road use, very few track days/year = max 3 days
  2. Lots of both
  3. Track only.

When one reads the amount of work (i.e. hassle) the King K whitepaper recommends (open heart surgery), the only clear advantage of the K I see is weight. And heck, a Honda, Toyota, Duratec, the new Cosworth Atlantic series motor (!!!) doesn’t weigh much more, less than 3 stone more? I am sure many of us, myself included, could stand to lose 2 stone anyway!

So why does retaining the K after a “grenade-like incident” make sense for categories 1 and 2 above? Go with the Honda, Duratec, etc. due to (1) less cost (2) less hassle (a complete package from top end to the gearbox) (3) greater durabilty as Honda et al are built to mass production tolerances.

In category 3, race series regulations will probably disallow a different engine, so the happy hardware (read: Audi engine, Judd) is not allowed anyway. So finally we come to consider the type of rebuild and tuning work Simon has been talking about because its within the regulations (acknowledged: few regs would allow increased displacement).

But so few folks here at exiges.com are in category 3 - aren’t most people here in category 2?

Should we do a survey? If category 3 folks make up less than 10% of the respondents, then we create a new “Track-only” forum and “banish” Simon-related discussions to that forum? Tee Hee! As it stands now, if we limit the “Challenge for Simon Erland” to a “Category 1 & 2” audience, Simon will likely lose, based on past discussions and articles.

i for one fall into cat 1 but would prefer to keep the k dont ask me why i just like to keep things original to a point, and like the idea of upgrading the k, plus i can upgrade parts over a period of time rather than a complete new engine/gearbox which doesn’t fit my budget

Keeping the K when its runnin’ ok certainly makes sense Russ, I just meant keeping it after the engine blew up would be dodgy. If it’s fine then keep it goin, adding fun bits along the way - mine hasn’t gone either, but I’ll certainly be alienated when that day comes.

I’m pretty disappointed that Simon hasn’t responded to your direct questions Bernard.

My guess is that he will wait until they are forgotten about and then pop back up pretending that they didnt happen. I’d also wager that he will be there to bait or stick the boot in on someone else.

Dave

I’m pretty disappointed that Simon hasn’t responded to your direct questions Bernard.

My guess is that he will wait until they are forgotten about and then pop back up pretending that they didnt happen. I’d also wager that he will be there to bait or stick the boot in on someone else.

Dave

You are probably right Dave. He might be on holiday though. You know, that thing people do when they are not working all the time ?

CYA

Bernard

Gentlemen, is Mr Erland ‘getting’ to you. Your posts seem quite personal there!

Ian

Gentlemen, is Mr Erland ‘getting’ to you. Your posts seem quite personal there!

Ian

My post was meant to be just a little dig at Dave for working all hours. Although I have to say he is not as bad as he used to be.

Bernard

Indeedy, Bernards post was intended as a gentle chastisement for me…

Having seen some of the U2Us and emails that Mr Erland has been sending out trying to dish up dirt about many of the members of this and other BBS’s that he perceives as enemies I feel my comments are rather tame and entirely justified.

His public facade is always to try to claim the moral high ground, the reality is rather grubbier and distasteful. Hypocrisy and back-stabbing are not on my list of redeeming qualities.

Dave