Car won't start... sob ;)

Hi there
During its hibernation, little Exige had its battery flat. Now that it’s recharged, cannot start the engine. Meta alarm disconnected with the fob (guess it’s the original fittings, with the M23T2 sensor near the ECU and the presumably M99 in the dashboard), key into the barrel, first turn Stack goes on, pump tickles, then the extra turn to fire… nothing ! Starter works (if electrically stimulated independently) but no juice delivered to it and to the ignition. Was wondering if a reset of the Meta is needed. I wasn’t able to find a clue in the different posts, or through the Meta UK site. Would someone have a brilliant idea ? Many thanks to the community.

Anyone ? Feel that I’ve done something wrong or very stupid … Joy of beeing a newbie to this wonderful car :wink:

Jean-Yves

Battery needs to be fully charged. Also check all the fuses/relays, including those accessed via the panel between the seats. Don’t forget to make sure that the connections are good on the sensors in the engine bay, particlarly the throttle position sensor & crank position sensor.

It will be something simple (hopefully!), but not easy to find!

Good luck :slight_smile:

Hello Mr Pesky
unfortunately all the basic checks were unconclusive - everything seems to be in order (except me as some relays / fuses are quite difficult to reach). Still searching…

Jean-Yves,

Im not sure if this will help but I had exactly the same problem a year or so back. Battery went flat, I charged it while it was still on the car but then it wouldnt start.

All it was in the end was that because I had charged it on the car it just needed the battery disconnecting and then reconnecting and hey presto it started first time. The immobiliser had completely shut down somehow and needed to be re-set.

Im not sure if you charged the battery while it was still on the car or not but if so it maybe worth a try, hope it works :slight_smile:

This happened once to me… it was the immobiliser fuse. That was a 3A version, but the garage repleced it with a 5A and it has worked ever since.

Like Robbo’s idea above… That might do the trick!

Hope you get it sorted!

How long has the car been laid up?

Have you a spark? is fuel getting through?

It could be that the injectors are gunged up - get somebody to turn the engine over whilst gently tapping the injectors (one at a time)with a screwdriver.

First try Robbos’ idea tho’ - sounds good!

Hum… Thanks to everyone, get some fresh ideas for the week-end, will let you know. I’m not on the injectors yet as I don’t have an ignition.

This sorta thing does’ant happen on an S2… :wink:

[quote=robbo]Jean-Yves,

Im not sure if this will help but I had exactly the same problem a year or so back. Battery went flat, I charged it while it was still on the car but then it wouldnt start.

All it was in the end was that because I had charged it on the car it just needed the battery disconnecting and then reconnecting and hey presto it started first time. The immobiliser had completely shut down somehow and needed to be re-set.

Im not sure if you charged the battery while it was still on the car or not but if so it maybe worth a try, hope it works :slight_smile: [/quote]

Yup this is very possibly the same :slight_smile:

Hello Paul :smiley: Hows things ??

This sorta thing does’ant happen on an S2… :wink: [/quote]

yeah … no character S2’s :wink:

Hi Andy, Im good thanks, hope your enjoying things down under! Im trying to use the car more now I’ve got some spare time!!! :crazy:

Although the car isn’t working very well at the moment - re my other post :frowning:

And I forgot to mention guys, I cant take the credit for finding the battery disconnection solution on mine - AndyD gets that one.
Actually I still owe you several drinks for your help :smiley:

This sorta thing does’ant happen on an S2… :wink: [/quote]

Nope!!! But then again S1’s dont get stuck behind milk floats for 30 miles either!!! :wink:

Hope you are well mate!

Car is with Martin E having the wheel bearing replaced that was bloody noisey at Anglesey… it added quite a lot of drag too!!! :smiley:

Well it’s true I’ve read somewhere that to charge/change the battery, you must first put the alarm in off mode, disconect the positive cable then the earth cable, and when refitting put the positive, then the earth, and put the alarm offline when the red light blinks. Unfortunately it hasn’t worked for me. I’m trying to avoid any comments including the words “immobilizer unit faulty, needs to be replaced” :wink:

Does the Exige Crank?

Nope. Key in the third position (ignition with the return spring) doesn’t work. Seems the circuit is blocked just before ignition.

Nope. Key in the third position (ignition with the return spring) doesn’t work. Seems the circuit is blocked just before ignition.

That is definate the immobiliser then - as it blocks the starter cicuit.

Best to bypass the immobiliser and see if it will crank sand start.

May I ask if one of the distinguished members has a wire scheme or anything that could help me doing this ? For what I see inside the dashboard it’s the original Meta unit. Thanx.

This might sound completey daft but mine sometimes mine wont crank and there appears to be a problem with the ignition barrel.

I have to push the key in a bit harder and it works… Just a thought.