Bosch Motorsport M4 ABS

very very impressive!

Yes very impressive - well done SD Motorsport.

Looks like you’ll be claiming those beers on Thursday night, top effort.

Oh and don’t think we did not notice that you’d bagged an awesome racing-driver excuse : ‘yeah we’re down on power see, coz we’ve had to move from a JDM-spec DC5 engine to EP3 and with time being short we couldn’t get back to the dyno’ :smiley:

Don’t big up his efforts too much, bar bill is going up with every comment!!

It will make a change from the usual excuse of a hangover :slight_smile:

Lookin good! :smiley:

:smiley:

Slight wobble, coolant pipe that runs around the side of the engine let go just before it went on the trailer, luckily we could harvest the spare from old engine. though getting at it was tricky and someone got soaked in hot coolant :smiley:
Thanks Steve :laughing:

Well, yet again it was damp & raining!! (still haven’t driven the car in the dry :neutral_face: ) but at least this time there was no standing water and we could get heat into the tyres and brakes. Having just put in a fresh EP3 engine and having no time to map meant that we had to be careful, take our time and not push too hard but after returning to the pits the smile from ear to ear told the guys everything. All the hassle and stress had been forgotten in the first 15 min stint, i was blown away withe the performance.

No real bad points anymore just things that need to be improved…

Tiny battery struggled when headlights had to be on, new dash goes crazy when it sees a volt drop, some thought needed there.
Car was going very light at speed, even with short shifting we were seeing 128mph leading up to rocket, perhaps more rear wing and splitter, certainly for somewhere like snetterton.

Good points…

Started to really stomp on the brakes towards the end of the wet morning session, consistent performance was needed n those conditions, Pagid RS14 will not be coming out :slight_smile:
Quickrack was a huge improvement, have always used one and in my case also means my hands are always on the steering wheel over the paddles (sequential).

Videos…

someone spins in this one, not sure who but glad he didn’t hit the paddock wall (or me!)…

Big thanks to APM customs for giving the cars graphics a refresh on the Thursday and as ever to SD Motorsport for getting me there, cheers guys.

do like the mohawk!

Sorry didn’t have time to chat more thursday night, was a little wired after the day that was

Great to meet you, see the car and meet the team. The car looks fantastic and seemed to be going well. Fully mapped and in the dry it will be awesome!

What wheels are those Chris? Are they TMRs refinished in satin? Gotta get me some 5-spokes…

Realised I’ve asked about the wheels before…doh!!!

Tim, no worries, been there many a time.
TBH you had a lucky escape, the lads were making good on the free bar quote so the first 3 pints of guiness didn’t touch the side and your poor Dad had to listen to us drunken idiots prattle on, we nearly had a heart attack when the 10.30pm last orders bell went!

till next time :slight_smile:

Its ok, there’s 4 of them so 2 to go :slight_smile:

Spent the day at Blyton, first time i’ve been and what a cracking little track! Loads of technical bits and as the weather was good it was also my first dry track day in the Elise :slight_smile:

Spent the morning trying to learn the track and finding the grip as well as new braking points since it was dry! By the afternoon was beginning to push but did’t even scratch the surface when it comes to driving that track but the only time i wasn’t on track was when the car was cooling down, basically loads of seat time and with a good friendly paddock, can’t wait to go back, really recommend it if you’ve never been.

only issue was the engine cover blew off! not sure what speed but down the back straight, luckily it landed on the grass, no damage but it ripped out the fasteners and caught the wing as it went airborne…

Still in one piece!..

Was another issue, we started to see oil pressure drops on the logs, need to think about dry sump.

Wow, that really did get torn off :astonished:

Hi Ade, apparently it flew up in the air a fair height! Didn’t even realise what had happened till i got Black flagged, was more worried that i’d triggered the noise limit!

We’re getting into the area that i had several long chats with people like scuffers, is the scoop too big? the temps are awesome, combined with the treadstone core we were out all day and never had an issue but is it compromising elsewhere? or is it just a case of more solid catches? or go solid engine cover?

I imagine the increased air pressure from the scoop got it?

Would you be better off ditching the scoop altogether? Must present some decent drag as it’ll lower the coefficient and increase the frontal area - but what do I know I’m not an aero guy.

then CC it and use the pro alloy front end:

if that is the case then i can either…

1. reduce size of scoop
  2. increase strength of catches or is that just building up bigger trouble?
  3. solid engine cover, would this send air through the back of the car or just push up against it?
  4. go to an almost mesh cover?

really could do with some solid advice.

looks nice bit of kit…
To be honest the roof has got a fair bit of weight in it and could be replaced with a much lighter one and then go front mount but if a couple of aerocatches can solve? there were no spreader plates under the catches which would have helped, would like to know peoples thoughts on engine cover first before making a decision.

well I’m reliably told the nose of an elise is the most aerodynamically efficient place to put cooling, especially with the rads at 45 and a gurney on the exit.

Taking the scoop out of the airstream, and running a solid engine cover would also do wonders for the wing I’m sure. Given that TA have limited what you can do with wings in middling classes now.

Downside with a CC is weight, but at least it’s low down unlike a built up roof and intercooler above the rocker.

Maybe have a chat with Sam @ TDI, I’m sure he’d have an opinion on it.