Benja's S1 Exige Refresh

OK, so my car has had a bit of a run of unreliability and was testing my patience. The failure on the way to Spa was a particular low point especially as I sat alone in the grandstand at Eau Rouge watching everyone out on circuit whilst the badger sat broken in the paddock :cry:

We needed some time apart, and since July itā€™s sat gathering dust in the corner of the BAT cave whilst I had fun out on circuit in my R300.

All is forgiven now and thankfully the Edwards have admitted the badger to their Exige Rehabilitation Centre. Its time for the car to come back stronger and blingier and lovelier than ever. Even though Iā€™ve got an R300 bit-on-the-side my Exige is my most prized possession and its such a great car it deserves some love. So on the list is :

1. TMRs : done, Jonny dropped them off at the Edwards today, cheers bud : :thumbup:
  2. Fresh Paint : more on this later, I need some help deciding which way to go.
  3. Interior Retrim : Seats, doorcards, binnacle, carpets out, new mats, everything basically.
  4. Mechanically A1 : Get everything perfect; no more power, no more brakes, no more anything apart from make it all 100% right.

Today my boy James and I headed up to Quorn to see the car and lend a bit of elbow-grease to the clean-up. Martin and Steve have been busy on (4) and starting with the failed inboard-CV theyā€™ve peeled away the layers of the onion,ā€¦and kept peeling,ā€¦and kept peeling. Yup letā€™s just say their approach to making it A1 is pretty exhaustive :smiley:

Yup clams off, engine out,ā€¦basically everything off and given the full Edwards treatment.

So who is the mystery guest leaning into the car? Well its Mr Magic-Sponge himself Jonnyfox who was a massive help not only as courier for the wheels but spending a few hours with me cleaning 15year old adhesive and shite off the interior of the car, thanks mate mucho appreciated, it came up great :sunglasses: Heā€™s also helping source some bits for the car,ā€¦again massively appreciated.

My 7year old James was also a massive helpā€¦when it came to demolishing choccy biscuits and watching telly with Gil :smiley: In fairness he did get busy with the hoover.

A huge thankyou to Martin and Steve for taking the car in and lavishing so much care and attention on it. Hopefully it will be back for the Anglesey event looking particularly awesome :sunglasses:

More to come with the livery choices when I get a moā€¦

Absolutely a pleasure to spend time with you, Steve and Martin, not forgetting James Hamilton and Gill. Gave me that nudge I need to get back on top of mine. Not to mention tips Iā€™ll need to remove my interior from Steve.

Personally I think this forum requires posted images of another certain cool a f#*k Exigeā€¦

Looking good Ben. Iā€™m sure JFā€™s main help was to rid you of that unreliable supercharger :wink:. Child labour will be helpful when you need some work doing under the dashboard or reaching those rear seat bolts.

Sure itā€™ll be ace once itā€™s back! Itā€™s just a shame after all the time, money and effort of the other year that itā€™s need a second overhaul :frowning:

Looking forward to hearing the interior plans. I know a lady who has a CNC quilting machine, if you wanted some special custom insert fabric made upā€¦

[quote="Muu]

Looking forward to hearing the interior plans. I know a lady who has a CNC quilting machine, if you wanted some special custom insert fabric made upā€¦[/quote]

Factory look retro tartan then? :smiley:

[quote=ā€œwesj111ā€]

Factory look retro tartan then? :smiley:[/quote][/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

How cool does Martins garage look :mrgreen:

Ben. Please dont exhaust Martin and Steve doing your job as mine is booked in after yours for an engine ectomy and majic sponge treatment.
Front end is coming along slowly and it will soon be on its front wheels.
Heater unit is proving a challenge and god knows what is going on behind the dash ! More mice?

Happy New Year everyone and thanks for encouragement and help.
Have fun

Yes we do need some proper pics of the Martinā€™s machine,ā€¦what a stunner :sunglasses:

Letā€™s not dwell on the fact that it was not too long ago that it was in bits eh! Lifeā€™s too short, Iā€™m just looking forwards to getting it backā€¦

The interior is being done by the pucker Lotus retrim place as I was so impressed with Martinā€™s. Iā€™m losing the blue seat inserts and go all black but upgrading to the Probax, I was tempted by tartan but figured I may want to drive it in daylight sometimes :smiley: Sill covers, door cards, all being done.

Donā€™t worry Clive I think thereā€™ll be plenty left in the tank after mine drives away. If it makes you feel any better my heater was fooked too!

Great stuff, Ben. Looks like good progress already. And, yep, letā€™s have pics of the Edwardsmobile

yeah whatā€™s done is done is very much my view on these things too, and these cars always come out a notch or two better anyway!

Yup itā€™s gonna be the best itā€™s ever been I reckon,ā€¦just need to decide about paintā€¦

staying two tone?

Skarlet then :ugeek: Although you could Selektanother colour. It would be Madness not to consider it. Or go for a Fun Boy Three tone? That would be Special{s} :crazy:

How about Moody Blues with The White Stripes :question:

Iā€™m having second thoughts Tim about black/whiteā€¦I sense a major thread diversion imminent!!

Go original instead of a cover numberā€¦

Hmmm Iā€™d be very tempted with a green

Yeah, gotta be ā€œAquaā€ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wouldnā€™t Moody Blues go better with White Snake?

And black on white with just a splash of looks stunningā€¦
Imgur

ā€˜Aquaā€™ just to wind Evosal up :laughing:

The green could work but the Motorsport green ala the original Exige prototype but thatā€™s a complex metallic I thinkā€¦

Mainly white with black/red does look awesome and was my original idea,ā€¦still the primary contender.

Currently having dark thoughts about Porsche Slate Grey :question:

Chrome Orange for goodness sake :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: