AP Brakes - Fronts

Little UP on this matter…
Had no time to get the Alcon for my trackday. Have a friend that had 2 CP 5000 brand new in stock on his shelves. Bought them from him.
Fitted them with new PAgid RS 14, new RBF 600 liquid… Lots of ��� spent then.
Had them bed in cautiously bla bla bla…
Long story short, after 15 laps brand new discs dead again and glazed pagids again
Me p…ssed off and fed up !!!
The car is fast, it ias a blast and the extra 20 to 30 km/h at the end of straights going into big braking for the curves leads to discs getting blue and “buckled” discs.
It is very frustrating as the car is ideal for my needs but then after a few laps the day was a nightmare just because of brakes…
Help !! What can I do ? I never had this sort of problems with all other Lotus I have or had. So not my braking “style” that is in cause

Have you considered using Competition Friction pads ? I’ve heard lots of good things about them, which various people moving away from Pagids onto these. (They’re cheaper too IIRC).

The 5000s are the cheaper AP option.

Competition Friction pads, never heard about these, will search. Thanks for info.
CP 5000 where already fitted on the car when I bought it. And they were already dead. The problem is mainly dur to the small surface or the pads and the 2 pistons on front. I guess the costly way is to put the front pistons on rear wheels and buy 4 pistons AP kit for the front … What do you think ?
Thanks.

I guess the costly way is to put the front pistons on rear wheels and buy 4 pistons AP kit for the front … What do you think ?
Thanks.

Good, but no handbrake…

You can add a seperate handbrake mech, try a search.

Ian

Interesting Ian, but how can you do this to the APs? I�ve tried the search function, but no luck�

I have that on my 340r : the rear handbrake is simply a hydraulic one with a lever between the seats that I turn when I need to lock the rear brakes in place. Combined with a brake bias on the dashboard. Very efficient on a 340r…
I guess it is the way to go on the Exige as well, but costly

The supplier is called “Performance Friction” the pads are awesome. They are however very heavy on the disks. Basically the disks will wear out before the pads. But anyone that has been in my car will confess it stops like it is hitting a wall lap after lap after lap!!!

Plans Motorsport stock the pads and sell them cheaper than you can buy them direct.

Interesting. Sean, how will they fair on the better Alcon rotors?

The supplier is called “Performance Friction” the pads are awesome.

Thanks for the correction !!

Well a better quality rotor can only be a good thing. Performance Friction do there own rotors and they are used in the majority of motorsport where steel rotors are still required. They are said to be about 4 times harder wearing than the equivalant AP / Brembo rotor, and they are only about twice the price so all in all a good deal I guess.

I thought about them the last time I replaced my rotors, but the bolt pattern from the rotor to the bell is different so would have required new bells to be made up and I just didn’t have the time before the next race.

Sean…

Another thing to consider is the Perfoemace Friction pads come in various compounds. I use the “01” compouind and that is available for the standard 2 pot calliper and the motorsport 4 pot AP calliper. I have just called Plans to confirm and as I thought they are not made for the standard rear Lotus calliper.

Interesting Ian, but how can you do this to the APs? I�ve tried the search function, but no luck�

Hmm, I can’t find it either.

Can anybody remember? It was a small additional (cable) caliper that sat next to the one that did the real work. I think there was a picture of one on a Ferrari in the thread.

Ian