AP Brakes - Fronts

is there a posted copy of the revised drawings available?

PM AndyD or see if he replies

Does anyone run these on the road?

Yes, love’em. Although some complain they squeal.

what nuts and bolts are used, presumably shanked bolts with k-nuts(due to heat)?

Specfic AP, single use, �15 a set/per corner

and are the caliper spacers to be used front and rear?

Spacers at the front for the 295mm. You can’t easily space the rears so have std 280mm.

Ian

ps. I’ve got black bling

hi ian, thanks for the reply. sounds all very interesting indeed. i will wait a bit and then drop andy a pm.

btw ian, which discs did you opt for?

ALCON copies of the APs, as they were crap and couldn’t get their act together. Not at all disappointed.

Ian

Me too, I have the same setup

Very happy so far on the road but need to get them on track to treat 'em proper - and hopefully shut them up a bit.

you have both presumably done the front and back upgrades?
what is the total saving over the AP kit?

How did you guys do the rears, did you use the same front bell design and turn down the 295 disc or use Andy�s other design for the rear bell to take the 280 disc.

I�m thinking about making some, but not sure what way to go with the rears

I thought the ALCON fronts and rears had the same bell pattern, would need to check with Andy though.

I don’t know what the AP set-up you’re talking about costs [runs off to check Eliseparts…], if it’s Eliseparts then this is unlikely to save you money as the ALCON disks alone are about �400 a pair. There’s also no real benefit from a 290mm rear unless you move the caliper out and that would be a real pain. Also Andy’s design doesn’t need the (this’ll set steve green off) spacers the Eliseparts one does.

I believe the disks that Eliseparts use are AP5000 series, which if true are not “the best you can buy” (quote Eliseparts). The Lotus motorsport disk set-up is the superior (as I understand it) AP3000 disks, of which the ALCON is a copy.

Bell, spacer and anodising is probably a ton per pair and the bolts about �15 per corner.

You pays yer money and takes yer choices. I’m happy.

Ian

Sounds like ALCON would make the bells too if you gave them a design - click

Don’t know what they’d charge.

It’s rather nice to know they’ll make any design, as what ever you go for it’d never be end-of-lifed (so make sure you know the spec!).

Ian

I thought the ALCON fronts and rears had the same bell pattern, would need to check with Andy though.

looking at the discs in the catalogue the fronts and rears have different PCD’s. so certainly a different bell front and rear. these disc’s are bloody expensive aren’t they!

interesting reading. here are a few questions.

is there a posted copy of the revised drawings available?

Provided Andy doesn’t mind, I can make them available.

Andy put the drawing on here for the rear bell as well.

Found the thread

Rear Bell

jubbly, thanks for the link.

I am now trying to get a reasonable price for the Alcon discs here in germany. seem to be more pricey over here.

Little P

My AP 5000 went dead.
I have a trackday next saturday and nobody ahs any 5000 nor 3580 in stock. They are askind for 3 weeks delivery … (I have yet to email Geary though). As I have a pair of standard discs on my 340r, do you think it is easy to swap them just to be able to have my trackday this WE. What about spacers ?
Thanks

Little P

My AP 5000 went dead.
I have a trackday next saturday and nobody ahs any 5000 nor 3580 in stock. They are askind for 3 weeks delivery … (I have yet to email Geary though). As I have a pair of standard discs on my 340r, do you think it is easy to swap them just to be able to have my trackday this WE. What about spacers ?
Thanks

Try Alcon - usually they are in stock

Second that.

Darn impressive, especially with new rear RS14s for that super firm pedal feel.

Ian

Thanks guys. Will get in touch with them… Is it a direct replacement to AP 5000 ? Nothing special to do with the rotors ?

Give them the specs, they’ll make them. Although I suspect they’ll have the specs, possibly ready made, for AP gear if you tell them exactly what you’re after.

Ian

Thanks guys. Will get in touch with them… Is it a direct replacement to AP 5000 ? Nothing special to do with the rotors ?

Think you will find at the beggining of this thread all the data you need … the Alcon 295 rotor is a direct replacement for the AP 3580 - 2894/5 which I beleive has the same dimensions as the 5000 series

Thanks Andy and Ian, will contact them…