AO48 Front Wheel Wobble?

Agreed - they surpass at testing the gravel traps.

A039 + Rimstock = wheel wobble. Not even the Dunlop race techies can sort that one out…or at least, they couldn’t in 2001. I don’t suppose it is much different with A048s.

Bloody Hell the old dog is back!!!

How the bloody hell are ya you car braking, gravel trap finding, engine over revving sex god you!!!

I am a lot less modest these days…

So Debs tells me when she pops down :wink:

Thats what the optician said

Had my Exige now for 3 weeks, & beginning to Struggle with wheel wobble. It gets intrusive at 80, & feels quite juddery under braking. The car is under warranty & was supplied by a Lotus dealer. It’s got AO48 tyres on, nearly new.

At the moment, it’s spoiling my enjoyment of the car.

What do i do??

Should not be a problem under braking, that is much more of a concern. If as bad as you say then suggest going back to the dealer and seeing what they suggest.

Found this on MLOC - not sure if it has been posted before;

[color:#CC0000]Yokohama tyre balancing[/color]

I had 2 new a048 fronts fitted a few weeks back, and I had the same issue. As speed increased the vibration got worse till I hit 80 mph and it was trying to rip the steering wheel out my hands and throw the car off the road. I was told I had a buckled wheel and that would be �400 please.

Car drove fine into the tyre centre so seemed odd. I jacked the car and checked the run out and it was fine. Took the wheel off and low and behold 2 x strips of weights each about a foot long around the inside of the wheel.

Took the tyre to another tyre centre to check the balance and it was miles out. Ended up with just a couple of weights on it. The wobble had almost gone, I pulled of another weight and now the vibration has vanished.

Think I will be switching to 888’s next time round.

tyre mounting , yellow dot to tyre valve is esential, then careful balancing usually does it, however I used to find my 48’s would slip around the front rims on some trackdays under heavy braking so they had to b rebalanced

I’m amazed that these Lotus recommended tyres could be so inherently flawed. Do I struggle on & try to get mine sorted, or do I bail, & get 888s??

Check the eight marking is correct, if not get them moved on the rim and rebalanced, they should be ok then, when they wear out get 888’s :wink:

What is the eight marking??

Just after the seven marking…

… and before the nine marking.

Get R888’s re-fitted under warantee mate! If they cannot balance AO48’s they must sort the problem out for you! :slight_smile:

Sorry weight marking, it is a yellow dot on the tyre

I’ve got Uniroyal Rainsport 2s on mine as it’s a daily driver, and it still gets vibration at around 80mph.

When these were originally fitted I had to take it back twice to the guys that fitted them…they couldn’t get it right.

Chris Neil Lotus then balanced them and they seemed fine…but it returned.

Had a geo done a while back at Phoenix MotorSport and wheels rebalanced as there was vibration and a pull to the left. Went on the motorway and car was doing the same…took it straight back to Ollie who rebalanced the wheels, but also said that there could be a flat spot on one of the tyres due to heavy breaking or could be down to front tyres being 2 years old.

Anyway, it’s still there.

I recently read over on LotusTalk that the wheel wobble is something to do with incorrect torqueing of the wheel nuts!!!

Maybe if someone could find out what the torque figure is for the wheel nuts and apply them it could cure the problem.

Personally I thought that they couldn’t be over or under torqued, and that they were tightened until they couldn’t be tightened further.

never over tighten wheel nuts, what ever the car.
I torque mine to 70 lbs all round. Only use the car for trackdays and re check wheel bolts at the start, middle and end of the day, before the drive home. As to bolt torque effecting wheel balance… just can’t see that

Wheel wobble is really putting me off using the car at the moment :frowning: The car felt great immediately following the last fitment of A048s, but it only lasted a short while before the wobble crept back in (around the 80-90mph mark).

I’m gonna check the yellow dot position, but other than that I feel inclined to ditch the AO48s come spring.

What are the thoughts on running 888’s on the front with AO48s on the rear? Madness? Dangerous? or no probs?

Try the yellow dot alignment and then try a different wheel balancer as well