AO48 Front Wheel Wobble?

Just put on the spare rims with new 48’s fitted, tyres are approx 3 years old, LTS stamped - they seem very imbalanced at 80mph - I think it was Pesky who told me sometime in the dim and distant past that there were ‘issues’ with some front 48’s? - never had problems with previous 48’s

Simon

It’s not me, that has experienced the problems you describe!

Changing to Toyo 888s brought back “balancing bliss”

Simon

It’s not me, that has experienced the problems you describe!

Sorry Rob you must have a double

Got to sort out the problem, really is a serious vibration, or keep within the speed limit - so where to get 888s?

so where to get 888s?

Try Camskill. Best price i could find.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m12b99s665p0

Simon

It’s not [color:“red”]JUST [/color] me, that has experienced the problems you describe!

Amended to say what I meant in the first place!

PS Bill Oddie est mon double, mais la belle Kate m’aime le meilleur

Just put on the spare rims with new 48’s fitted, tyres are approx 3 years old, LTS stamped - they seem very imbalanced at 80mph - I think it was Pesky who told me sometime in the dim and distant past that there were ‘issues’ with some front 48’s? - never had problems with previous 48’s

Plans mentioned to me that the dot colour on the tyre wall has to be alligned with the tyre valve otherwise you’ll never balance them properly. Not sure if that’s true or not but I’ve certainly had balancing issues with 048s in the past. Definitely 888s next time round.

As a matter of interest do 888s and 048s have a shelf life? My 048s are almost 2 years old now and someone (Plans again I think) said that these tyre can “go off” after a while.

I had some vibration at about 70-80 on A048’s, never had a problem since going to 888’s

My tyre fitters align the dots to the valves. They say it reduces the amount of weights they have to use as it aligns the heavy part of the tyre with the light part of the wheel. (or maybe vice versa)

Interestingly i’ve noticed that a while later they no longer match up meaning the tyres have slipped on the rim by a couple of cm’s. Possibly enough to give a slight vibration ?? I know that Harvey who I sprint with has had the same thing on his Exige S.

This is a pain I am going to swop to 888’s next time I need tyres

Info on tyre markings relating to balancing.

Seloc tech wiki - tyre markings

This is a pain I am going to swop to 888’s next time I need tyres

888’s No need for Yoko’s ever again!

I get the same, only after 80mph, just had them re balanced and they are the same, looks like 888’s then

I get the same, only after 80mph

Yeah, but your speedo reads 10% faster since you fitted the blingcooler

I had experienced the same problem with A048 which were worsening with more mileage on track (maybe they suffer a lot the heat cycles).
Switched to 888 and now these are really good tyres with no balancing problems.

But are they anywhere near as “sticky” jonny ?

But are they anywhere near as “sticky” jonny ?

No, they’re total crap…that’s why most peeps here now use them instead of the 48s

I must have gone through 8 sets of 48s. Why have mine never wobbled and caused me any concern ? Are you sure its not parkinsons kicking in coupled with a nervous disposition after 70 mph ?

Also, are the 888s definately as sticky ? Has anyone actually compared the two for lap times or something a little scientific ?

How do you propose that is done, mate, bearing in mind the LOT racers can only use Yoko 48s M compound, not LTS compound?

If you’re happy with 48s, stick with them :wink:

Good point. Doesnt have to be on a lotus though … any vehicle where they have group tested 48s and 888s would be fine (track based cars). Do they last longer as well ?

I’m not aware of any comparative tests, perhaps someone else is?

In my personal experience 48s & 888s last about the same length of time - but that in itself depends on the conditions eg weather/type of track.

Sorry, not much help…give the 888s a try for a change, & see if they suit :wink: